Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Child Gets Plastic Surgery To Avoid Bullies

Health Plastic Surgery 2011

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:18 PM

I haven't beeen able to view the video yet, since I'm on dial-up.

link

Quote

"Good Morning America" continued its exploration of all-things-plastic-surgery on Thursday, interviewing seven-year-old Samantha Shaw, a first grader from South Dakota who recently went under the knife to pin back her cup ears and fix a fold on her right ear.

Apparently, the number of teens and children getting plastic surgery has gone up 30 percent over the last decade, with more and more young people resorting to operations in order to avoid bullying. However, Samantha told Juju Chang that she hasn't been bullied, per se. Her mom said that others have made comments in front of Samantha -- with adults being worse than other kids -- but confirmed that the surgery was more preventative, so that her daughter wouldn't get bullied in the future.

Speaking as someone who was bullied A LOT when I was younger (as well as being physically abused by a couple of teachers at the same school), I am STRONGLY against this. A big BOO to the parents who allow this sort of thing. Bullies will ALWAYS find a reason to harass you, and going under the knife isn't going to stop them. They'll just take another tact. Taking this route means you've given in to the bullies. They've won already.

Edited by Analog Kid, 14 April 2011 - 11:25 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

I just had this thought now...what's next? Changing your skin color because you've been bullied for it? Sorry, I don't think so.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

    Where's the rum?

  • Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

This is just stupid.  There was nothing wrong with that little girl to begin with.  I know what it feels like to be picked on, and this case is ridiculous.  And that is saying a lot coming from me.  When I was a kid, my parents had to tie a piece of meat around my neck just to get the dog to play with me. In order to change my diaper, my parents used to have to turn off the lights first.  I was one ugly runt then and I'm an even uglier runt now.

Editd to put bag over my head to not scare anyone here:  :bag:

Edited by Captain Jack, 15 April 2011 - 01:00 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

I guess I was lucky, in grade school, the worst I got was the name "freckle face strawberry".  

I did have one girl that picked on me for a year in grade three.  She was always trying to start a fight with me.  She also sat behind me in class and she would pull my hair or stick gum in it or poke me in the back really hard with a pencil.

She was at least three times larger/bigger than me and I was scared.  I tried to ignore her but she would always be waiting for me after school and would do things to taunt me like, walk close behind me calling me names and trip me or push me.  She was never alone either.  There was always a little group of girls that would hang with her and laugh as she picked on me.  

One day I had enough and I pulled a "Ralphie" like in that movie "A Christmas Story'.  The next day, in class, I felt a tap on my shoulder.  I turned around, she had a black eye and a split lip, and she said, "I'm suppose to be a good Girl Guide.  Will you be my friend?"  

The End :lol:

Edited by michael elizabeth, 15 April 2011 - 07:59 AM.


#5 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

    E.I.'s resident insomniac

  • Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:41 AM

As someone who has a deformed ear (as a result of NF1), I know what it's like to be bullied over it (it happened right through college where someone called me a freak when they thought I couldn't hear them).

While my ear was debulked in middle school, it's still deformed and sits about an inch lower than the other one. Not only did/has it severely affected my self esteem (I think that it makes me look ugly), but it affects the way I do my hair: I've never had it put up, that way I can cover my ear with my hair. That way no one will comment about it in public.

In fact, I'm still really angry my parents didn't fix it all the way after it was debulked. If they had done this when I was 7, my life so far would have been much better, because I would look normal.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#6 Tricia

Tricia

    To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

  • Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

I'm no fan of plastic surgery especially for the very young but with the ears...not sure.

{{{{{{{{JadziaDax}}}}}}}



I think them saying that the surgery was done to avoid bullies was a bit misleading in the article.  Certainly it would eliminate them to picking on her about this particular issue.  

No, this won't stop the bullies completely because they do always find something to pick on you about whether it is weight, wearing glasses, a speech impediment, some physical feature, your intelligence level or whatever.

Surgery to pin back ears is not that uncommon whether it is as an adult or a child--not sure how young I've heard them doing this before.  I'd like it better if I knew that the girl wanted this surgery but... :unsure:  we don't know that she didn't once it as explained to her.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh


You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to


Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.


#7 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 10:22 AM

^ Yep, What Tricia Said.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#8 Nonny

Nonny

    Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

  • Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

I watched the video, and saw a happy child.  And how nice that there is a foundation that will do it for free.  

{{{{{{{{{{{JadziaDax}}}}}}}}}}}
Posted Image


The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

View PostJadziaDax, on 15 April 2011 - 09:41 AM, said:

As someone who has a deformed ear (as a result of NF1), I know what it's like to be bullied over it (it happened right through college where someone called me a freak when they thought I couldn't hear them).

While my ear was debulked in middle school, it's still deformed and sits about an inch lower than the other one. Not only did/has it severely affected my self esteem (I think that it makes me look ugly), but it affects the way I do my hair: I've never had it put up, that way I can cover my ear with my hair. That way no one will comment about it in public.

In fact, I'm still really angry my parents didn't fix it all the way after it was debulked. If they had done this when I was 7, my life so far would have been much better, because I would look normal.

Gonna make this super-fast, since I have to head off for my afternoon bus run (work):

{{{{{JadziaDax}}}}}

I'm terribly sorry you had to go through that sh!t from bullies. :( That being said, though...

I still stand by what I said before. Bullies will find whatever reason they want to make fun of you. I have large lips. I was made fun of because of that. I wear glasses. I was made fun of because of that. I was a nerd, and was made fun of because of that too. And one teacher physically abused me by pinching the flesh under my chin and forcing my head back. He terrorized me and forced me to try and fit in with the other kids. I was so terrified of him that I didn't even tell my parents about the abuse because I was afraid of what might happen to me. :(

NO ONE should have to change who they are and what they look like because of assholes like this. NO. ONE.

PERIOD.

I'm off to work.

Edited by Analog Kid, 15 April 2011 - 12:53 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

The bullying problem will continue...until one thing happens. The bullies themselves become afraid, and are in fear of their misaerable pathetic excuse of lives. Then, and ONLY then, will bullying cease to be a problem.

But nowadays you have the media constantly covering stories of kids killing themselves over being bullied. Which only empowers the bullies. They can laugh and say to their friends "look what I did, I'm so powerful."

I would much rather the media cover the stories, and I know they have to be out there, of bullies who have had enough, take a gun to school and kill only the bully. Nobody else, just the bullies. Run a few of those type of stories, and maybe, just maybe, bullies will think twice. They'll be like "Sh*t. If I keep screwing with this kid, he might come back with a gun and kill me."
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 Cheile

Cheile

    proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

  • Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 15 April 2011 - 04:57 PM, said:

The bullying problem will continue...until one thing happens. The bullies themselves become afraid, and are in fear of their misaerable pathetic excuse of lives. Then, and ONLY then, will bullying cease to be a problem.

But nowadays you have the media constantly covering stories of kids killing themselves over being bullied. Which only empowers the bullies. They can laugh and say to their friends "look what I did, I'm so powerful."

I would much rather the media cover the stories, and I know they have to be out there, of bullies who have had enough, take a gun to school and kill only the bully. Nobody else, just the bullies. Run a few of those type of stories, and maybe, just maybe, bullies will think twice. They'll be like "Sh*t. If I keep screwing with this kid, he might come back with a gun and kill me."

stooping to the bully's level is hardly going to stop the problem, LOTS.  look at Columbine....that's what happens when victims take things to the other extreme.  do you really want more instances of that?? i don't.  there were a couple other school shootings after Columbine that happened for the same reasons and several more attempted ones.  it hasn't stopped bullying.

what needs to happen is two things:
a) the schools need to GET OFF THEIR ASSES and institute no tolerance policies and stick to them.
b) what (former) DA Elizabeth Schiebel did with those six little f*ckers in South Hadley, Mass after they bullied Phoebe Prince to death--prosecute, prosecute, prosecute.  because every single element of bullying is a crime and it's high time they started doing something about it instead of making kids suffer and blaming the victims.

it may not stop every instance but a few hundred or thousand stories of little bully bastards and bitches being arrested, hauled into/dragged through court, their worthless parents having to pay out the ass in legal fees, and some of them being put behind bars is much more likely to make other bullies think twice because "hmmm i could end up in jail and/or with a record like them, which means no college, no job, no chance at a future."

Posted Image


"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#12 Palisades

Palisades

    Northern Lights

  • Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:23 AM

Yeah, the cosmetic surgery is superficial, but we live in a superficial society that judges highly based on superficial things and first impressions. We all care about how we look. If the surgery will help her self-esteem and make her feel better about herself, why shouldn't she do it? Anyway, how is this worse than girls getting their hair permed or spending an hour in front of the mirror picking an outfit and doing their hair and makeup?
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:31 AM

View PostCheile, on 16 April 2011 - 12:58 AM, said:

stooping to the bully's level is hardly going to stop the problem, LOTS.  look at Columbine....that's what happens when victims take things to the other extreme.  do you really want more instances of that?? i don't.  there were a couple other school shootings after Columbine that happened for the same reasons and several more attempted ones.  it hasn't stopped bullying.

what needs to happen is two things:
a) the schools need to GET OFF THEIR ASSES and institute no tolerance policies and stick to them.
b) what (former) DA Elizabeth Schiebel did with those six little f*ckers in South Hadley, Mass after they bullied Phoebe Prince to death--prosecute, prosecute, prosecute.  because every single element of bullying is a crime and it's high time they started doing something about it instead of making kids suffer and blaming the victims.

it may not stop every instance but a few hundred or thousand stories of little bully bastards and bitches being arrested, hauled into/dragged through court, their worthless parents having to pay out the ass in legal fees, and some of them being put behind bars is much more likely to make other bullies think twice because "hmmm i could end up in jail and/or with a record like them, which means no college, no job, no chance at a future."


OK, I know this position isn't going to be popular...but here it is:

The problem with the Columbine, and other school shootings...done by victims of bullying, is that they just opened fired, firing randomly. I, honestly, would have no problem if the only people killed in those shooting were the bullies. Actually, the ONE drawback is that the victim who couldn't take it anymore, and killed the bullies, would be portrayed as the villian...and probably charged with murder. Unfortunately.

As you can tell, I have ZERO sympathy for bullies.

As for stooping to the bullies level...Unfortunately, that is the only way. Bullies understand one thing, and one thing only...FEAR. You have to make the bullies afraid. Afraid for their very lives. Make them realize that if they try to bully you, you WILL take EVERYTHING from them. That GOD himself won't be able to save them. Do that, and will have no more problems from bullies.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

View PostPalisade, on 16 April 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

Yeah, the cosmetic surgery is superficial, but we live in a superficial society that judges highly based on superficial things and first impressions. We all care about how we look. If the surgery will help her self-esteem and make her feel better about herself, why shouldn't she do it? Anyway, how is this worse than girls getting their hair permed or spending an hour in front of the mirror picking an outfit and doing their hair and makeup?

The difference is the reason-BULLYING. That's the WORST reason. It's one thing if you want to pretty yourself up-but that should be because YOU WANT to do it just for the sake of prettying yourself up. It SHOULDN'T be about peer pressure and bullying.

I remember a thread I posted here about skin lightening creams, and how Sammy Sousa went from being a handsome black man to an odd-looking white fellow. And we all know about Michael Jackson. Once more-it's about the core reason for such a move; that being white is somehow "better". The reasons behind such moves have to do with a long history of racism and feelings of inferiority among some black folks.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#15 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

Here is the thread on skin lightening creams.

Edited by Analog Kid, 16 April 2011 - 04:07 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#16 Tricia

Tricia

    To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

  • Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:11 AM

^^^^

That seems more like self-loathing to me....wanting to be something totally different than what one is.

All the skin lightening and plastic surgery in the world isn't going to make a difference if one does not like the person looking back at them in the mirror....their soul, their heart, the real them.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh


You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to


Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.


#17 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

View PostTricia, on 17 April 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

^^^^

That seems more like self-loathing to me....wanting to be something totally different than what one is.

Yep-and that stems from the way whites abused them over time...and eventually such attitudes became ingrained. Once more-pressure from outsiders planted the seed of self-loathing

Quote

All the skin lightening and plastic surgery in the world isn't going to make a difference if one does not like the person looking back at them in the mirror....their soul, their heart, the real them.

THANK YOU. VERY well said. :cool:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#18 Palisades

Palisades

    Northern Lights

  • Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 16 April 2011 - 03:26 PM, said:

View PostPalisade, on 16 April 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

Yeah, the cosmetic surgery is superficial, but we live in a superficial society that judges highly based on superficial things and first impressions. We all care about how we look. If the surgery will help her self-esteem and make her feel better about herself, why shouldn't she do it? Anyway, how is this worse than girls getting their hair permed or spending an hour in front of the mirror picking an outfit and doing their hair and makeup?

The difference is the reason-BULLYING. That's the WORST reason. It's one thing if you want to pretty yourself up-but that should be because YOU WANT to do it just for the sake of prettying yourself up. It SHOULDN'T be about peer pressure and bullying.

I remember a thread I posted here about skin lightening creams, and how Sammy Sousa went from being a handsome black man to an odd-looking white fellow. And we all know about Michael Jackson. Once more-it's about the core reason for such a move; that being white is somehow "better". The reasons behind such moves have to do with a long history of racism and feelings of inferiority among some black folks.

Ah, but as Michael Chrichton noted in his book Prey, predators often target the prey that is different from the others in the group. Bullies are no different. By fixing these birth defects that made her stand out like a sore thumb, this girl made the bullies less likely to go after her. And those ears did make her stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, these particular bullies may already have fallen into the habit of choosing her as one of their targets, but I think that going forward this procedure will make her more accepted by her peers.

Regarding your example with Sammy Sosa, I think this is different. While appearances are only skin-deep, those ears did make her look like something of a freak before she got them corrected. Her ears were an actual physical abnormality while black skin is normal.
"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#19 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:25 AM

View PostPalisade, on 17 April 2011 - 10:52 AM, said:

Regarding your example with Sammy Sosa, I think this is different. While appearances are only skin-deep, those ears did make her look like something of a freak before she got them corrected. Her ears were an actual physical abnormality while black skin is normal.

Black skin might be normal-TO YOU. And that is EXACTLY my point. People with black skin might be considered freaks by a number of others-and I'd BET that's a BIG reason behind skin coloring creams.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#20 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

    In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

I'm at Starbuck's right now, and I'm getting ready to leave. I just saw the video. I'm glad the litte girl is happy-it's unfortunate that it took an operation to do that, due to pressure from others. The one thing that REALLY pissed me off was to hear the mom say that ADULTS were criticizing this poor child!! :angry:

Scumbags. :glare:

Anyway-time to pack up, do some shopping and go home.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Plastic Surgery, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users