Natural Disasters North Carolina Tornadoes 2011

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

I think LotS lives in North Carolina :unsure: Check in all EIers from these parts! Stay safe. Article.

A savage storm system has killed dozens of people across southern US states and left hundreds of thousands without power after they were battered by torrential rain, lightning and hail stones the size of golf balls.

North Carolina was hit by 62 tornadoes, the highest number for two decades.

62? :o

Emergency crews expect the number of people killed to rise as they deal with the aftermath of a storm that claimed its first victim in Oklahoma on Thursday, before sweeping through Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Seven people were killed in Alabama on Friday, including a mother and her two adolescent children who were crushed when their mobile home was lifted by the storm and thrown about 90 metres before landing upside down.

On Sunday the National Weather Service reported 14 deaths in Bertie county, North Carolina. The state's governor, Beverly Perdue, declared a state of emergency after fatalities were reported across the state. She said the storms were "the most widespread tornadoes we've seen since the mid-80s.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with everybody in North Carolina who has been through this horrible day," Perdue said.

The death toll includes 23 people in North Carolina, seven in Alabama, seven in Arkansas, four in Virginia, two in Oklahoma and one in Mississippi.

Hope you're all ok :hugs:

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

We escaped the worst here in SC but the area around Raleigh was really hammered. I have a friend there who is OK but their down town area was damaged and people died in some of the smaller surrounding communities.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

Wholly sh*t!  That's a lot of weather!

Hope you're all ok :hugs:

Sparky

Me too. :hugs:

Edited by michael elizabeth, 17 April 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#4 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

EChatty's in Mississippi....

Haven't seen her here this weekend so gonna worry about her until she checks in here or Facebook. :unsure:

Edited by Tricia, 17 April 2011 - 04:15 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

I'm not surprised. This is the beginning of tornado season in the U.S., and it's gotten off to a violent start. You need several ingredients for tornadic thunderstorms-

1)Two air masses that differ vastly in temperature and humidity.

2) A fast-moving jet stream above.

3) Winds blowing in different directions at different altitudes.

The reason spring is such an apt time for tornadoes in the U.S. is due to the contrasts in warm and cold air masses, as I indicated above. In the middle of the U.S., topography (the Rocky Mountains) is an added ingredient for creating deadly tornadoes-in particular, F3s F4s and the deadliest-F5s, which contain winds of up to 318 mph. The F-scale was created by Dr. T. Theodore Fujita. The instability that results from the cold and warm air masses colliding creates violent supercell thunderstorms. The winds going at different speeds in the atmosphere create a twist, which cause the thunderclouds to spin. The jet stream acts as a bottle opener, allowing the rising moist warm air that feeds the thunderclouds to rise explosively. Combine all that, and you get a tornado.

With the Rocky Mountains, they add a further bit of imbalance. Cold air usually goes under warm air, causing it to rise. When cold dry air comes off of the Rocky Mountains, it can sometimes come off at such a speed that when it collides with the warm air, part of the cold air mass goes over a section of the warm air, creating an even greater imbalance. When the jet stream removes this cap, the results are even more explosive, leading to large tornado outbreaks and some monster tornadoes that can be up to 2 miles wide.

For those folks who live in Tornado Alley, make sure you have a weather radio. I own one-I've owned them for over 30 years. Last summer, I had a tornado-warned thundercloud go right over my house!! :eek3: It was Doppler-radar indicated, but it didn't drop any funnels. It did put out a LOT of lightning, though. In the past, tornadoes were very rare in my area, but in recent years, I've been noticing an increasing number of them. And they are not just increasing in number-they are also getting more ferocious. Last summer, twin tornadoes struck Brooklyn, New York, causing extensive damage. Tornadic winds were determined by the National Weather Serice to be around 150 mph!! :eek: :egads:  :crazy:

Edited by Analog Kid, 17 April 2011 - 06:42 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

See some incredible images and video on this thread in the Stormtrack Forum, which I'm a part of.

Edited by Analog Kid, 17 April 2011 - 06:00 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 Ihaveaglitch

Ihaveaglitch
  • Islander
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

Ok here, the worst of it hit down south and east of us, but I have friends in the affected areas that weren't so lucky.  One of the middle schools in bladen county was completly leveled, thankfully it was saturday.  Shaw university had to cancel the rest of the semester due to damage to campus.
"Well I gotta admit, making Rommie obey my every whim and laying waste to the Drago-Kazov sounds really great, butů All by myself?" ~Harper (Una Salus Victus)

#8 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:25 PM

I hope LotS checks in soon :unsure:

.. he might be out of power I suppose?

Sparky

#9 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

He's been here on the board if not this thread as early as this morning.  I think

I know I've seen him post or around today.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

See what happens when I stay nice to the moderators and EI staff...We get tornados up the you know what...

Actually, really shouldn't joke about that. I apologize. But, I'm still here, safe and sound. We didn't really get much in the way of the tornados by me...that I'm aware of. The mountains usually help when it comes to that type of weather.

Hope others EIers from NC check in...
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:48 PM

Phew- glad you're safe :)

Sparky

#12 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

No sign of Chatty yet. :unsure:

#13 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

Chatty is fine.

We're talking on MSN right this very moment.
Rejected and gone.

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

U.S. folks-don't forget to stop by my weather radio thread. The life you save may be your own, or that of your loved ones. I don't know if overseas folks have anything akin to weather radios. Tornadoes happen all over the world, but nowhere do they occur with more frequency and violence than the United States. That's an important reason why we have weather radios.

Edited by Analog Kid, 18 April 2011 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

#15 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:58 PM

View PostMikoto, on 18 April 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

Chatty is fine.

We're talking on MSN right this very moment.

Thanks for the news, Mikoto... I can't help worrying.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, North Carolina Tornadoes, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users