Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

U.S. Ex-Islers: Get A Weather Radio!

Natural Disasters Emergencies Weather Radio Severe Weather warnings

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

Okay, time for a bit of an update on the new weather radio...

Overall, I think it's really cool. There are a couple of things to keep in mind, though-

1) Unlike my old weather radio (which I still have and will continue to use), this one is loud, even at the lowest setting. Now, given that this is an alert radio, it's to be expected. You don't need to have it on all the time. The weather forecast is repeated over and over, so once you've heard the forecast for the day, it really isn't necessary to have it full on (and by full on, I mean listening to the radio broadcast) all the time. If you press the top right button, it will emit a loud beep, and the clock, thermometer and signal strength icon will come on. Press the left-most button, and the radio turns on and off. The back-light will come on once when you turn it on this way, and every time you hit a button. The back light will come on briefly, then shut off. The top left button changes the setting from home to travel. In the travel setting, the radio scans for a frequency to broadcast and pick up alerts from.

2)You can't use this radio like a regular hand-held radio; keep in mind, this is for occasional listening and emergencies. If you use this radio all the time (in non-emergencies), it can drain the battery fairly quick. Remember-as well as the radio, it is operating a clock, thermometer and signal/alarm sensor.

You can, however, run it off a DC 6-volt, if you want to use it as a regular home unit. (I might pick that up.) You can also use rechargable batteries with it. I'm sure there are adapters for cars (via the cigarette lighter).

I've had severe thunderstorms in my area recently, and the radio emits the alarm when a warning is issued. It will scroll "SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING" or "FLASH FLOOD WARNING" when either of these warnings come up-which they did.

Oh, and about the thermometer...

3)If you want an accurate reading, don't put it in your pocket or hold it constantly. The temperature reading will rise. The thermometer feature is a really neat one to have, though.

These are minor criticisms, and can be dealt with. But I would STRONGLY recommend this weather radio, particular for those of you who live in Tornado Alley.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#22 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

Bumping for Hurricane Irene.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#23 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

View PostVapor Trails, on 25 August 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

Keep yourself safe Saul, hopefully the worst will head out to see before it gets to you.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#24 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

View PostDWF, on 26 August 2011 - 07:19 PM, said:

View PostVapor Trails, on 25 August 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

Keep yourself safe Saul, hopefully the worst will head out to see before it gets to you.

I still shiver when I think I had a tornado-warned storm go right over my house last summer. I'm surprised the storm didn't drop a funnel, because the rotation inside the cloud was strong.

:unsure:  :crazy:
Posted Image

#25 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

I'll be happy to hear from you when it's over.    {{{{{{{Saul}}}}}}}

I picked up a hand crank flashlight at the Navy Exchange yesterday.  I got one years ago that was no good, so I was impressed with the much better design, and the packaging that allowed a thorough test.  It's a Garrity 3 LED CrankLite, and I can either charge it and get 30 minutes of light for one minute of cranking, or continuously crank for continuous power.  I don't know how long it will remain charged, but it's easy to crank, a major consideration for me.  Ever since I discovered during a power out that the lantern I kept in the bathroom for emergencies had cooked in its not turned on often enough batteries, I've been looking for low tech stuff.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#26 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostNonny, on 27 August 2011 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'll be happy to hear from you when it's over.    {{{{{{{Saul}}}}}}}

I picked up a hand crank flashlight at the Navy Exchange yesterday.  I got one years ago that was no good, so I was impressed with the much better design, and the packaging that allowed a thorough test.  It's a Garrity 3 LED CrankLite, and I can either charge it and get 30 minutes of light for one minute of cranking, or continuously crank for continuous power.  I don't know how long it will remain charged, but it's easy to crank, a major consideration for me.  Ever since I discovered during a power out that the lantern I kept in the bathroom for emergencies had cooked in its not turned on often enough batteries, I've been looking for low tech stuff.

This Eton emergency radio is one I would LOVE to own-check out the features to see why. But, much to my consternation, I can't afford one right now. :angry:

I do plan on getting one at some point, though-it's just a question of WHEN. :p
Posted Image

#27 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Bump for the 2012 tornado season.
Posted Image

#28 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:31 AM

A quick note, since we are entering hurricane season-

Given the massive amount of destruction these storms wreak (who will ever forget Katrina? :( ), be sure to have your weather radio handy. Also-another reminder: Hurricanes can and do spawn tornadoes.
Posted Image

#29 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

I'm okay. Earthquake woke me up and scared me, but I checked my house, looks good.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#30 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

:oh:  (((((Nonny)))))  :hugs:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 10 June 2016 - 08:53 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#31 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:53 AM

View PostNonny, on 10 June 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

I'm okay. Earthquake woke me up and scared me, but I checked my house, looks good.

We even felt it up here in LA, Nonny. Curtains started swaying, blinds knocking and rattling, and the decorative wind chimes in the bedroom sounding off in the wee hours. Just a little California rock and roll! :upside:

yadda

#32 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:02 AM

I really might move to California very soon. Please to have earthquake vaccine ready before then.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#33 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:58 AM

Oh, it's ready. We're planning on dumping a billion gallons of it by tanker loads into the San Andreas fault, kind of like a spritzer of Chardonnay and WD-40 for the earth's mantle. :wine: .

Edited by yadda yadda, 10 June 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#34 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:04 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 10 June 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on 10 June 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

We even felt it up here in LA, Nonny. Curtains started swaying, blinds knocking and rattling, and the decorative wind chimes in the bedroom sounding off in the wee hours. Just a little California rock and roll! :upside:

yadda

That's what I missed, my neighbors' wind chimes! The earthquake was that loud.  :oh:  I didn't hear anybody outside and didn't want to go out alone, so I went back to sleep and actually overslept! So I took my walk late and missed talking about it with all but one neighbor.
Posted Image

#35 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 10 June 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

I really might move to California very soon. Please to have earthquake vaccine ready before then.

View Postyadda yadda, on 10 June 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

Oh, it's ready. We're planning on dumping a billion gallons of it by tanker loads into the San Andreas fault, kind of like a spritzer of Chardonnay and WD-40 for the earth's mantle. :wine: .

:lol:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Emergencies, Weather Radio, Severe Weather warnings

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users