Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Tornadic Hell In Central/Southern U.S.

Natural disasters Tornadoes Southern US 2011

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

Wow. :(

This is shaping up to be one of the deadliest tornado seasons yet. Already on the Weather Channel & on Stormtrack, where you can follow the action, there is a nasty severe weather outbreak going on. One monster tornado actually had HORIZONTAL vortices on it! I've NEVER seen that before! :eek3:

So far, I've heard that this severe weather outbreak has claimed one fatality.

And we're not even in May yet, which is the height of tornado season.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:32 PM

The Weather Channel is reporting dozens of fatalities in Alabama, and that the death toll is rising quickly. :( This might be one of the biggest tornado outbreaks in recorded history. A number of the twisters have been giant wedge tornadoes. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:43 PM

101 tornado reports, according to the Weather Channel. :eek3:
Posted Image

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

Tuscaloosa Alabama has 16 people dead, but the death toll is likely to rise. The tornado video is incredible.
Posted Image

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:07 PM

The Weather Channel has just said the AP is reporting 64 dead from this massive tornado outbreak. :(
Posted Image

#6 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

Alabama really got it bad.  We had a tornado warning in Nashville - moved everyone away from windows in the library where I'm on a temp job.  No tornado happened.  Between floods and twisters, the weather gods seem to have it in for a large part of the country.  That or it's a fiendish way tv stations can justify their radar expenditures...  And yes, AK, I did wish I had a weather radio last night when it was a choice between much needed sleep and being awake when potentially bad storms were supposed to come our way.
Cats will never be extinct!

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:28 PM

Fortunately the system is supposed to come through here in the wee hours of the morning when a lot of the punch has ebbed away. At least that's what I'm counting on.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#8 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:21 AM

The National Weather Service had already received more than 100 reports of tornadoes by Wednesday night, and that number appeared to be climbing rapidly.
"This could be one of the most devastating tornado outbreaks in the nation's history by the time it's over," CNN Meteorologist Sean Morris said.
The official death toll is at 62 people and that's going to go up a lot, sadly.

If you are in the path of this storm front please take it very, very seriously.

#9 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:33 AM

Well,  it's pretty calm 'round here right now...should stay that way 'til Sunday according to MSN weather.

Edit:  I just checked WLBT.com, and it says pretty much the same thing.

Edited by Datalyss, 28 April 2011 - 12:42 AM.

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:12 AM

The death toll has risen to 123 in Alabama. :( This could end up being the second worst tornado outbreak in U.S. history. The worst was the Super Tornado Outbreak of 1974-and there's a chance this one could even surpass that.

And what's particularly bad about this is that some of these twisters were the monstrous long-track mile-wide wedge tornadoes, with winds anywhere between 260 to 318 mph.
Posted Image

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:33 AM

Do any Eier's live in the affected area? If so, hope they check in soon.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

This has been a bad year for tornadoes.

I'd love to have some rain but not if it means the tornado comes with it.  And that is what the meteorologists here says will happen.

Not sure if it was this particular cluster of tornadic activity or the other but I heard it said that some of the tornadoes were multi-vortex ones.  

I can handle hurricanes. I can handle blizzards.  The one thing that will strike terror in my heart is a tornado.  I've only seen one personally and that was more than enough for me.  I get very anxious when there is a watch even

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#13 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:03 AM

Has the president addressed the devastation in the south yet?  Perhaps he'll dedicate a putt to the dead.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#14 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

View PostNittany Lioness, on 28 April 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

Has the president addressed the devastation in the south yet?  Perhaps he'll dedicate a putt to the dead.

WTF!?  Why is this going to turn into some political bs?

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#15 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

WTF?

I've been on the phone all morning trying to make sure all my family in Alabama are OK. Thank goodness they are.

What kind of person looks at this kind of devastation and thinks only of partisan politics? Anyone on the left who makes cracks about "Red Staters" has my contempt. The same goes for you.

Digusting. Something is seriously lacking in you--a sense of empathy or decency--to be able to look at a state torn to all to hell and only think about how much you dislike Barack Obama. Something is wrong with a person who tries to make a pathetic partisan joke about this--whether they are coming from the left or the right.

You should be ashamed. But you won't be.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#16 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hope all EIers can stay safe. What Hambil Said:

If you are in the path of this storm front please take it very, very seriously.

{{{{{{Central/Southern US}}}}}}}

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#17 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

{{{{{{{{Spectacles}}}}}}}}

Glad to hear your family is okay.   :D

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#18 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:01 AM

The death toll is at 213. :( This is the second deadliest tornado outbreak in U.S. history, surpassing the Super Outbreak of 1974.
Posted Image

#19 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

View PostSpectacles, on 28 April 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

WTF?

I've been on the phone all morning trying to make sure all my family in Alabama are OK. Thank goodness they are.

What kind of person looks at this kind of devastation and thinks only of partisan politics? Anyone on the left who makes cracks about "Red Staters" has my contempt. The same goes for you.

Digusting. Something is seriously lacking in you--a sense of empathy or decency--to be able to look at a state torn to all to hell and only think about how much you dislike Barack Obama. Something is wrong with a person who tries to make a pathetic partisan joke about this--whether they are coming from the left or the right.

You should be ashamed. But you won't be.

So good to hear that your family is ok.  Have you heard from our mutual friend?

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#20 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:08 AM

You make me sick.

Go ahead, give me a damn warning. I've never gotten one before but if there was ever a post worth getting one for, this is it. So do it.

And welcome to permanent ignore, sociopath.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Tornadoes, Southern US, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users