Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Tornadic Hell In Central/Southern U.S.

Natural disasters Tornadoes Southern US 2011

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:12 AM

Here's the thread on the Stormtrack board. Stormtrack is a board of storm chasers and meteorologists. Absolutely unbelievable damage. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#22 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

And, by the way, the President is going to Alabama tomorrow.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#23 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

View PostCardie, on 28 April 2011 - 12:00 PM, said:

And, by the way, the President is going to Alabama tomorrow.

Cardie

He aslo sent FEMA out last night and spoke with the Governor
last night as well.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#24 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

Nittany Lioness, Post #13 is being discussed by the staff as possible baiting.

Spectacles, Post #15 is being discussed by the staff.

Hambil is being issued a warning for post #20. Calling another member a sociopath is not acceptable though you clearly knew this when you posted.

Edit it add:

[coolit='Balthamos']Far too personal, warnings have already been issued, please cease and desist with personal comments and attacks to avoid further warnings. This cool-it applies to everybody.[/coolit]

Edited by Balthamos, 28 April 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#25 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:33 PM

I fully expected a warning, too, btw. I crossed the line and questioned another poster's character and judgment. I did so with damned good reason and my only regret is that I stopped typing too soon. But it's a violation of the guidelines nevertheless, and I'll certainly be fine with a warning.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#26 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:23 PM

If AG wants me to split off in another thread this admin's reaction, I will.  It's been fairly observed days ago that our leadership was unresponsive, example:
http://www.whitehous...st-raise-money/

Obama Skips Tornado Destruction, Heads West to Raise Money

President Obama is opting not to visit the tornado-ravaged areas of the South, choosing instead to embark today on a three day tour out West where he will try to boost his political standing by talking up his approach to the deficit and raise millions for himself and fellow Democrats.
The tornadoes, part of a storm that rampaged though six states Saturday, resulted in one of the worst disasters of any kind in the United States since the Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Scores were left injured or homeless while 45 people were killed about four times as many as died in the Gulf oil rig explosion and the subsequent oil spill last year. In North Carolina alone, there were nearly two-dozen storm-related deaths Saturday, with 130 homes destroyed and an estimated 700 more damaged.

Posted Image
Obama presents the Commander-in-Chief Trophy to the Air Force Academy football team in the Rose Garden Monday. He made no mention of the tornadoes.   - photo by Keith Koffler

Not only is Obama staying away from the region, he has said almost nothing publicly about the tragedy beyond an interview with a North Carolina TV station and a very brief mention at a White House prayer breakfast. The president has failed to make the kind of national, attention-getting public statement presidents offer during crises to comfort victims by expressing the condolences of the nation and to seek charitable aid.
Sunday, he went golfing. On Monday, he did sign a disaster declaration for North Carolina, which will free up federal assistance to the state.
Vice President Biden has also failed to show up. He's cooling his heels today at home in Wilmington, Delaware. The disaster did not even merit a visit from Secretary of Interior Ken Salazar who without any apparent irony was in Boston Tuesday announcing a new wind energy project.

- and that was when only 45 of his citizens were dead, more than the Horizon oil rig disaster.  Now the death toll and devastation is horribly higher, and I'm angered - has he spoken to America yet?  Meaningfully - on the big screen?  Today?  I'm honestly asking.

I just took a quick perusal of the '05 comments about Katrina here at EI - Bush and Co. were savaged, savaged.
I sure hope I'm allowed to have a disappointed and negative opinion about our leadership at such a time, too.

And edit - some of my in law family was in the danger zone, plus my husband is traveling through there and was supposed to call me today and I haven't heard from him yet, so you're way off Specs.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 28 April 2011 - 03:56 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#27 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

I am issuing Spectacles a warning for post #15 which clearly crosses the post not poster guidelines.

#28 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

You're guaranteed to have a "disappointed and negative opinion" about Obama any time. That you chose to express it here--in a thread that had not one thing to do with politics but with a discussion about a devastating tornado outbreak--says a lot about how off-the-deep end you are in your hatred of the boogeyman Obama.

By all means take your inaccurate, biased sources and start an "Obama is Worse than Bush was on Katrina!" thread. Start twenty. (Your source is wrong, btw. Obama is going to Alabama tomorrow. As for FEMA response, I hope it's better than it was for the victims of Katrina because the people who've lost their homes and loved ones need all the help they can get and as quickly as they can get it. I could care less about Obama's political fortunes. I just want the people of my home state whose lives have been reduced to rubble to get help. I know from talking with my aunt that many areas are without electricity and safe drinking water. It's not a good time to be in Alabama. That's all I care about. And it seems that's all everyone but you care about in this thread.

You're really hoping that the feds screw up emergency support, aren't you? That way you can even the score from Katrina. Think about it. Think about what extreme partisanship does to one's humanity. People aren't people anymore--just pawns in a Republican vs. Democrat game. Disgusting.....

I'll tell you this: if the feds are MIA like they were after Katrina, I will bitch just as much if not more because I want the people in my home state to get all the aid they can get--and fast.

Now, if you have any facts regarding the ineptness of the federal response and Obama's disengagement, I'll be interested to see them--in another thread.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#29 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

Obama was on TV today between 2pm and 3pm CST speaking about this  (it was briefly covered by ABC at least) and he is going to be there in Alabama tomorrow on his way to FL for the space shuttle launch.

Obama heading to Alabama

President Barack Obama will travel to Alabama on Friday to assess the damage caused by storms ravaging the Southeast this week, the White House announced Thursday.

Obama will meet with Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley ®, local officials and families affected by the severe storms and tornadoes ripping across the state. More than 200 people have died from storms hammering regions between Mississippi to Georgia; most deaths have been in Alabama.

BTW-- a co-worker lost his mother-in-law in this

Edited by Tricia, 28 April 2011 - 03:48 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#30 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

NO, he's not wrong - now he's going, 45 wasn't enough.  Was there a national press event from this admin I missed in the last week, the last 24 hours?  And my humanity is in question, but there's no disgust to spare for a south that deserves a show of support from their leadership.

Edit - good Tricia, finally.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 28 April 2011 - 03:52 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#31 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:54 PM

Tricia: BTW-- a co-worker lost his mother-in-law in this

I am so sorry to hear this, Tricia.

It's just awful beyond imagining....The death toll in Alabama thus far is 180. I read that 600 alone were hospitalized in Tuscaloosa. I feel so fortunate that my family was spared, and so sad for those who weren't. None of my family have electricity and their supply of drinking water is rationed because the water purification plants aren't operating fullsteam--but they're alive and uninjured and their homes are intact. So many can't say that.

#32 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

And my humanity is in question, but there's no disgust to spare for a south that deserves a show of support from their leadership.

Yep. I question your humanity and your judgment and your concern "for a south that deserves a show of support" blah blah blah. The fact that you thought it was appropriate to make an anti-Obama joke as your initial response to this thread says it all. That you still don't get it says it all again.

Again, start your "Obama is worse than Bush on Katrina" thread and make your case. Show how he's neglecting those affected by yesterday's tornadoes. Show how FEMA under Obama is just as unresponsive as FEMA under Bush. I'd actually appreciate facts regarding this because I do want the federal gov. to be responsive. If it isn't, I want to know about it. But I need more than your "jokes" or assertions that don't seem to be supported by anything.

#33 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

Although violent tornadoes can occur almost anywhere in the continguous United States east of the Rockies (except, perhaps New England), most people expect them to happen west of the Mississippi, or at least north of the Mason-Dixon line east of the Mississippi (e.g. Illinois, Ohio). This cluster of f-4 and f-5 tornadoes in the Southeast is a fairly rare phenomenon, so while people in the region may be prepared for annual flooding and the effects of dissipating hurricanes, taking precautions against twisters is probably not as routine a matter as elsewhere, hence the terribly high death toll.

Batrochides

Edited by Batrochides, 28 April 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#34 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

^Actually, it isn't rare, Batrochides. I grew up in Alabama and know from first-hand experience that tornadoes are common in the Southeast in the spring, specifically from March through May.

The tornado that wiped out Tuscaloosa followed a path familiar to most Alabamians: Tuscaloosa northwest to Birmingham.

The Southeast corridor has become known as Dixie Alley.

#35 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:46 PM

View PostSpectacles, on 28 April 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

^Actually, it isn't rare, Batrochides. I grew up in Alabama and know from first-hand experience that tornadoes are common in the Southeast in the spring, specifically from March through May.

The tornado that wiped out Tuscaloosa followed a path familiar to most Alabamians: Tuscaloosa northwest to Birmingham.

The Southeast corridor has become known as Dixie Alley.

In my area, tornadoes used to be a rare thing-once every 3 or 4 years. Now, we are getting several a year. And the frequency isn't the only thing increasing-so is the violence. Twin tornadoes struck Brooklyn, New York last year with 150 mph winds. I had a tornado-warned thunderstorm go right over my house last summer. It was Doppler-radar indicated, but it didn't put down any funnels. The clouds were churning, though-and it put out WICKED lightning.

Just west of me today, we had a tornado-warned thunderstorm. Rotation was detected in the cloud, but as far as I know, no funnels. I'm at Starbuck's now; just got out of work. I have yet to find out about these local storms.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#36 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

This has to be one of the most insane tornado videos I've EVER seen. This is the killer twister that cut through Tuscaloosa. Talk about staring into the heart of death itself...:eek3:

Posted Image

#37 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:08 PM

Per the local ABC weather, this storm started in Texas with a couple of tornadoes and got worse as it moved across the country.

My sister used to live in Oklahoma City and she talks about how she would get all anxious as the storms rolled into the area and the sirens started going off.  She did not live there very long.

I saw some of the videos and it's scary just watching it on tape.  I can't even begin to imagine looking at that live and in person.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#38 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostTricia, on 28 April 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

Per the local ABC weather, this storm started in Texas with a couple of tornadoes and got worse as it moved across the country.

My sister used to live in Oklahoma City and she talks about how she would get all anxious as the storms rolled into the area and the sirens started going off.  She did not live there very long.

I saw some of the videos and it's scary just watching it on tape.  I can't even begin to imagine looking at that live and in person.

I think the guy who shot the video above was in tears at the end. I think he suffered a complete breakdown-and understandibly so. When you're staring down this BEAST-the most violent winds on the earth, you are NOTHING.
Posted Image

#39 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

Sorry folks, but once more-visit this thread. And even if you don't live in tornado-prone areas, weather radios can help you prepare for other forms of severe weather.
Posted Image

#40 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

...and I just read that the death toll is now 281. :( :cry:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Tornadoes, Southern US, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users