Natural disasters Tornadoes Southern US 2011

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

For what it's worth, FEMA was in Nashville right after the floods last year.  They at least seem to have learned from Katrina.
Cats will never be extinct!

#42 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:46 PM

View PostSpectacles, on 28 April 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

^Actually, it isn't rare, Batrochides. I grew up in Alabama and know from first-hand experience that tornadoes are common in the Southeast in the spring, specifically from March through May.

The tornado that wiped out Tuscaloosa followed a path familiar to most Alabamians: Tuscaloosa northwest to Birmingham.

The Southeast corridor has become known as Dixie Alley.

I keep wondering - with every hint of a thunderstorm here in Nashville we are bombarded with radio alerts and tv radar pre-empting programming and tornado sirens going off.  Time for most folks to head for cover (whether it would help in the event of one like that mile-wide Alabama one is another question).  So many deaths - was it the size of the twisters or lack of that kind of warning or some kind of combination of both??
Cats will never be extinct!

#43 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

^^The twisters were very powerful--some estimates of F5, the highest on the Fujita scale. In Alabama they stayed on the ground for miles rather than touching down and then skipping back up into the storm cells. They hit several urban areas rather than sparsely populated countryside. And, unlike in the Midwest, most Southern homes don't have baements or storm cellars.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#44 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

That video....

Yikes!
Posted Image

#45 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 28 April 2011 - 10:47 PM, said:

That video....

Yikes!

You're not kidding!! I've seen some nasty tornado video, but this...!!! What's truly incredible are the vortexes that wrap themselves around and stick straight out of the main funnel like giant octopus arms...just incredible multi-vortex action! :crazy:

Edited by Analog Kid, 30 April 2011 - 09:26 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#46 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

Also...the winds in this twister were around 240-260 mph, I think. I'll try and find out more info.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#47 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

I am issuing Nittany Lioness a warning for post #13 which violates the baiting guidelines.

Might I remind everyone that discussions on warnings should occur in AQG not in this thread.

#48 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:53 PM

I lived in Alabama for the first 28 years of my life, and tornadoes were a fact of that existence. But I have never seen such widespread damage as this:

http://www.huffingto...Weather_Alabama

There must have been several F5s on the ground in Alabama and elsewhere. Cullman was wiped out about as badly as Tuscaloosa and West Birmingham, but it's well north of that line.

Just horrific.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#49 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

It's not just Alabama.  My in--law's family lives in Little Rock, Arkansas but a small town nearby Vilonia I guess is, like, gone.
Going to their home in Louisa county VA to see if it's damaged.  New York state, and even a funnel hit down one town over from me in PA (no damage) ...

Alabama 228 deaths,
Mississippi 33
Tennessee 34
Georgia 15
Virginia 5
Louisiana 2
Kentucky 1.
"Hundreds if not thousands of people were injured 900 in Tuscaloosa alone."
And this has been happening at least all week, not just 48 hours.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#50 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

The total death toll is 328, so far. :(
Posted Image

#51 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

From someone who was there:

I documented the damage in Fultondale and Pleasant Grove. I embedded my self with first responders documenting what they do. This is only a small sample of the thousands of photos and they still do the damage no justice. I am proud of my state, I saw no one begging or expecting anything be given to them. No one said they were owed anything. Every one I met were happy to be alive and were ready to rebuild. Neighbors were helping one another and sharing what little food and water they had. The police were brave and searched into debris that no one should. Since I have a press badge I was able to go were others were not. This is a prime example to show that anything can happen at any time. And why when someone laughs at my preps from now on I will show them these. I have thousands more I don`t know if anyone even wants to see them.

Oh I am so happy our leader gave our state a whole two hours, I guess thats because Alabama is a Republican state.

The Fultondale Fire Dept. The roof was torn completely off. Luckily no one was in the building at the time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#52 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostSpectacles, on 28 April 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

^Actually, it isn't rare, Batrochides. I grew up in Alabama and know from first-hand experience that tornadoes are common in the Southeast in the spring, specifically from March through May.

The tornado that wiped out Tuscaloosa followed a path familiar to most Alabamians: Tuscaloosa northwest to Birmingham.

The Southeast corridor has become known as Dixie Alley.

Yup - we lived in a B'ham suburb and had several spring tornado outbreaks, as a matter of fact the one time I went to Tuscaloosa there was a tornado that day! I'm not sure why people are so surprised when there are tornado outbreaks in the South.

Texas has the most tornadoes (it's a big state)
Texas has the most killer tornadoes

But

More people actually die from tornadoes in "Dixie Alley" than in Texas. Why? I don't know.

I feel really bad for all the people affected by this spring's severe weather.

I know the first day of this storm system I was in Dallas where we were listening to the radio as tornadoes were hitting just south of Dallas/Ft Worth and large hail was hitting north of us. I'd been up visiting for 10 days and there was severe weather at least 7 of those days - tornadoes, hail etc etc. The only good thing about the weather was it helped the firefighters contain some of the huge wildfires.

Whereas down here in Austin, we're still in a drought with fire danger warnings every day.

#53 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

More people actually die from tornadoes in "Dixie Alley" than in Texas. Why? I don't know.

I saw a highlight of one of the towns ... where the mayor I think it was explained that after a bad case of tornados they rebuilt with that calibar codes in mind, and this storm hit proved it was worth the extra consideration.
I gather much of the deaths is related in this way.  But sometimes it doesn't matter how beefy man makes his hut ...

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#54 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

I just want to say, after having seen some of the video of the tornados....OMFG! I, honestly, thought only in Hollywood, in movies like Twister, are tornados THAT big and devestating." But watching that video...My thoughts are with those living in that area...Keep safe.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#55 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 29 April 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

I just want to say, after having seen some of the video of the tornados....OMFG! I, honestly, thought only in Hollywood, in movies like Twister, are tornados THAT big and devestating." But watching that video...My thoughts are with those living in that area...Keep safe.

The movie Twister was a f**king JOKE. :barf: A steaming, fly-ridden horse turd on a hot summer afternoon-that's what that movie was. :yucky:

I've been fascinated with violent weather ever since I was a child (at one time, I thought about going into meteorology). I do think these storms are beautiful, but I HATE it when they go into populated areas. I'd prefer it if they churned away, out in the middle of nowhere. Sadly, that's not reality. :( The only tornado outbreak deadlier than this one happened in 1925, where 689 people died.

Edited by Analog Kid, 29 April 2011 - 10:10 PM.

Posted Image

#56 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

Super Outbreak-April 3, 1974

An exceprt from the site:

The forecast for Wednesday April 3, 1974 was for showers on the East coast and for thunderstorms across the Midwest. In the heavens, a storm of an overwhelming magnitude was forming. Children went to school, people went to work and lives went on as normal until the second worst storm of the 1900's struck. Tornadoes broke across the heartland with such an intensity and frequency never seen before in the United States. Homes and schools destroyed. Loved ones lost. This site looks at the events of that day .This site is dedicated to the 315 people who lost their lives in this storm and to the over 5,000 people who were injured.

Sadly, this new outbreak has surpassed the one above. :(
Posted Image

#57 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:23 PM

View PostAnalog Kid, on 29 April 2011 - 10:09 PM, said:

View PostLord of the Sword, on 29 April 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

The movie Twister was a f**king JOKE. :barf: A steaming, fly-ridden horse turd on a hot summer afternoon-that's what that movie was. :yucky:

I've been fascinated with violent weather ever since I was a child (at one time, I thought about going into meteorology). I do think these storms are beautiful, but I HATE it when they go into populated areas. I'd prefer it if they churned away, out in the middle of nowhere. Sadly, that's not reality. :( The only tornado outbreak deadlier than this one happened in 1925, where 689 people died.
This one killed fewer people because of modern medicine and housing codes and better warning systems. Tornado to tornado, so to speak, this is the largest outbreak in recorded history. And it will probably be the worst in terms of property damage, also, when all is said and done.

Edited by Hambil, 29 April 2011 - 10:24 PM.

#58 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:35 PM

View PostHambil, on 29 April 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

This one killed fewer people because of modern medicine and housing codes and better warning systems. Tornado to tornado, so to speak, this is the largest outbreak in recorded history. And it will probably be the worst in terms of property damage, also, when all is said and done.

Totally agreed.

I'm going to be working tomorrow (charter run), so I don't know if I'll have time tomorrow to do some more reading on what EF intensity the Tuscaloosa tornado was-but my guess is that it HAD to be a high EF4, or more likely, an EF5. This was one of the most terrifying tornadoes I've EVER seen-even surpassing the video of the Andover, Kansas twister in 1991. It reminded me a little of that one at first, but those multiple vortexes and satellite tornadoes going around the main funnel...those were some of the nastiest I've seen.

I'll be bringing my Asus netbook with me, so if there is wi-fi anywhere near the high school I'm going to, I'll be sure to do some research.

Edited by Analog Kid, 29 April 2011 - 10:37 PM.

Posted Image

#59 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:09 AM

Okay-I'm in Ramsey NJ with my Asus. Charter run-kids are doing track. I'm at Starbuck's.

Here's one link:

Massive tornado damage in Tuscaloosa and other cities across the South

I'm off to the Stormtrack board to see if I can get more info.
Posted Image

#60 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:15 AM

Check out post 241.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Tornadoes, Southern US, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users