• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

It seems like it could have been the Navy Seals who got him.  If so, I wish my old man would still be alive to have seen this, as an ex-seal he would have been proud. Go Seals.

Check out this EPIC FAIL:
Posted Image

Edited by Captain Jack, 02 May 2011 - 12:42 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#42 Darkside_1

Darkside_1

Your friendly Neighborhood Moderator.

• 3,094 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:45 AM

CNN is saying that Bin Laden was killed by headshot during a firefight.  The compound had no cell phone or internet capability that Bin Laden was relying on couriers and it was the couriers that was his downfall.

"Harry S. Truman said that he felt like a bale of hay fell on him.

I feel like I got the whole damn barn."

Darren "Condor" McGavin - "By Dawn's Early Light"

HBO TV Movie - 1990

*** (Click here to view my signature) ***

Posted Image

"A pound of supplies taken from your enemy is worth 10 pounds of your own supplies"
Sun Tzu "The Art of War"

#43 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

George W. Bush's response:

Earlier this evening, President Obama called to inform me that American forces killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of the al Qaeda network that attacked America on September 11, 2001.  I congratulated him and the men and women of our military and intelligence communities who devoted their lives to this mission.  They have our everlasting gratitude.  This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001.  The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message:  No matter how long it takes, justice will be done.

Look, no matter how much you might hate him, George W. Bush has been good to President Obama. I think he sets a good example of how fromer Presidents should treat the current President.

LoP

#44 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 02 May 2011 - 12:39 AM, said:

Posted Image
Wow. That can't even be explained away as a simple typo. The letter S isn't even close to the letter B on a keyboard.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#45 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 01 May 2011 - 11:49 PM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 01 May 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

MSNBC is describing where this went down. It was a huge secure compound, in an "affluent suburb" 35 miles north of Islamabad. From the way they are describing it, it sounds like some kind of fortress.

SFG

You watch MSNBC?  I can let that slide, I still like you. :lol:
:hehe:  :angel:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#46 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:59 AM

Posted Image

#47 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:10 AM

Okay, even though it would not be appropriate to put such a banner up, I couldn't resist, so I put this together:

Attached File  ExIsle.jpg   25.53K   5 downloads
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#48 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:12 AM

Finally! But unfortunately, like roaches, there will be more to take his place.
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#49 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:16 AM

RE. the typo, I have heard at least two near slips of the tongue tonight.  But that typo is something else entirely.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#50 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:16 AM

View PostJazzer, on 02 May 2011 - 01:12 AM, said:

Finally! But unfortunately, like roaches, there will be more to take his place.

This is true.  But for now, I say we savor the moment while we can. :)

This gif is bada$$:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#51 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 02 May 2011 - 01:16 AM, said:

How does savoring the death of another human being make us any better than those that savored the deaths of those that died in 9/11? Don't get me wrong. Bin Laden was a monster. But I find something a bit twisted about savoring his death. It doesn't bring anyone back from the dead and it doesn't change what he did. And how many innocent people have died in the hunt to kill one man? And what exactly has killing him ultimately accomplished? I think the price of his death has come at too high of a cost.

This gif is bada$$:
Posted Image
Now this, on the other hand, is rather amusing. :lol:

Edited by NeuralClone, 02 May 2011 - 01:51 AM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#52 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,686 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

View PostNeuralClone, on 02 May 2011 - 12:48 AM, said:

View PostCaptain Jack, on 02 May 2011 - 12:39 AM, said:

Posted Image
Wow. That can't even be explained away as a simple typo. The letter S isn't even close to the letter B on a keyboard.

Not a typo, but simply a force of habit. They had to write "Obama" so many times, and probably "Osama" a lot less in the recent past, that it just snuck in. That noone was proofreading it before it went on air, that is the real mistake, although, even there, forces of habit might have let the person overlook it in the rush, since "Obama" is also a known word, and probably more often used recently than "Osama".

But this will haunt them, for a long time, for sure.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#53 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

As some may know, I just moved to the DC area, and decided to attend the celebration in front of the White House. There was a good sized group outside. Very celebratory mood. Mostly students, some "older" people.

I shot a couple videos there, I'll see how I can get them uploaded to show you guys.

Attached Files

Edited by JadziaDax, 02 May 2011 - 02:32 AM.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#54 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:34 AM

View PostNeuralClone, on 02 May 2011 - 01:49 AM, said:

View PostCaptain Jack, on 02 May 2011 - 01:16 AM, said:

How does savoring the death of another human being make us any better than those that savored the deaths of those that died in 9/11? Don't get me wrong. Bin Laden was a monster. But I find something a bit twisted about savoring his death. It doesn't bring anyone back from the dead and it doesn't change what he did. And how many innocent people have died in the hunt to kill one man? And what exactly has killing him ultimately accomplished? I think the price of his death has come at too high of a cost.

One less murderer and violent man using religion to justify his hatred.  He was the mastermind behind 9-11 where thousands of civilians were killed who had no knowledges of Osama's existance.  Osama is by no means a human being.  He was full of hate, brain-washed his own followers to do his bidding, manipulated a sacred religion to meet his desires and ideals.  He taught others to hate as well.  You answered your own question.  Osama was a MONSTER, not a human being.  A cold-blooded killer with no respect for life no matter whose it was.  this moment should be savored because after a long 10 years, this brings a sort of closure.  A completeness of some kind.  Yes the threat of terrorists is still out there, but for now, justice has been served with a 5.56 round to the head of a Monster.  Those that savored the deaths of those that died in 9/11 are monsters because they killed innocent people who did nothing to them.  Those that died in 9-11 simply went to work and quietly lived their lives. That's the difference.  It is unfortunate that many of our own people had to die to find Osama, and other innocent people were killed as well.  But this was all because of that Monster.  A thing that was simply a danger to all people.  Families who had lost their loved ones from 9-11 now have some closure.  An ENTIRE nation who has been greatly injured and never fully recovered from that September morning attack now has some closure.

I am not in any way advocating to enjoy killing other people or take joy in a death of another.  The fact that this is now done is cause for celebration and some relief.  Now all that is left is to get out of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Here is another EPIC FAIL.  Obama orders to strike Obama?

Edited by Captain Jack, 02 May 2011 - 02:38 AM.

Posted Image

#55 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:58 AM

I just saw it on YouTube's whitehouse channel, and I don't know whether or not to believe it.

#56 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 02 May 2011 - 02:34 AM, said:

I am not in any way advocating to enjoy killing other people or take joy in a death of another.  The fact that this is now done is cause for celebration and some relief.  Now all that is left is to get out of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Not to mention fixing the frakkin' economy.

#57 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:52 AM

Agreed wholeheartedly with NC.

To me, this is not a reason to re-elect a president who just happened to be president at the time of Bin Laden's death. If you think he's dealing with your healthcare, education, infrastructure, foreign policy and economy well - then re-elect him. Not because your military intelligence made a break-through after years of searching.

Also partly agree with AK...in that I'm finding it hard to see this as a victory. I think it will make things worse if anything. The US and Europe should be even more vigilant than usual at the moment.

Absolutely spot on.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#58 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:06 AM

On a darkly humorous note...

As I was listening to the news this morning, the following suddenly pooped-er, popped-into my head:

Posted Image

TEAM AMERICA! F*CK YEAH!

:p~

Boy-my mind goes to STRAAAAAAAAAAAANGE places sometimes.  :rolleyes: :p~ :bag:

:blush:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#59 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:08 AM

View PostSparkyCola, on 02 May 2011 - 04:52 AM, said:

Agreed wholeheartedly with NC.

To me, this is not a reason to re-elect a president who just happened to be president at the time of Bin Laden's death. If you think he's dealing with your healthcare, education, infrastructure, foreign policy and economy well - then re-elect him. Not because your military intelligence made a break-through after years of searching.

Also partly agree with AK...in that I'm finding it hard to see this as a victory. I think it will make things worse if anything. The US and Europe should be even more vigilant than usual at the moment.

Absolutely spot on.

Sparky

Yup. Pretty much.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#60 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:15 AM

Ya know...I realize now why TEAM AMERICA popped into my head...it's from seeing all those reactions of people cheering. That's EXACTLY how it all comes across to me. :p
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Osama Bin Ladin, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users