Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Woman Gives 8 Yr Old Daughter Botox

Health Child rearing 2011

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

link

Botox injections and leg waxing on an 8-year-old girl, all in the name of beauty pageant success, all done by her own mom.

It sounds too unreal to be true, like a storyline straight out of "When Stage Moms Go Bad."

It's not.

It's real life for an 8-year-old California girl.

We spoke with the girl, Britney, and her mom, Kerry, to learn exactly why they turned to Botox, and exactly how young is too young when it comes to using medical treatments for the sake of beauty.

Kerry, who asked that her family's last name not be used, told "Good Morning America's" Lara Spencer that it was actually her daughter, Britney, who wanted to try Botox, a beauty treatment more normally requested by aging women than growing girls.

"We were getting into the pageants," Kerry recalled. "I knew she was complaining about her face, having wrinkles, and things like that. When I brought it up to Britney she was all for it."

How many 'wrinkles' can any child have at 8!!

And yes, now she is being investigated by Child Protective Services

Trent Rohrer of the San Francisco Human Services Agency told cameras, "It's pretty unusual for a mom to be injecting an 8-year-old with Botox. Certainly, it's grounds for an investigation." The agency apparently got involved because there were too many unknowns, like Kerry's training, where the Botox she use comes from and whether her daughter's pediatrician was consulted

And the general public called the agency after the story aired on Good Morning America

Edited by Tricia, 14 May 2011 - 11:07 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

Not in the least bit shocked or surprised.

I find the idea of child beauty pageants absolutely revolting. :barf: :glare: To me, there is nothing more sick and twisted than to dress up and put make-up on a little girl to make her look like a grown woman. Firstly, it focuses WAAAAY too much on appearances. Secondly, why the F*CK would such *a$$h*le parents put that kind of pressure on a poor child?!?! And lastly-and forgive me, but there's no other way to say it: some of these girls look like minature call girls.

What the HELL is the POINT of child beauty pageants, anyway?!?!

Seriously-I think child protective services should take a hard look at the industry, and the people who put their kids in these pageants. I think it borders on child abuse-and in a number of cases, goes WAY past it. :glare:

Edited by Analog Kid, 14 May 2011 - 04:54 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

Tricia, on 14 May 2011 - 11:06 AM, said:

We spoke with the girl, Britney, and her mom, Kerry, to learn exactly why they turned to Botox, and exactly how young is too young when it comes to using medical treatments for the sake of beauty.

Kerry, who asked that her family's last name not be used, told "Good Morning America's" Lara Spencer that it was actually her daughter, Britney, who wanted to try Botox, a beauty treatment more normally requested by aging women than growing girls.

"We were getting into the pageants," Kerry recalled. "I knew she was complaining about her face, having wrinkles, and things like that. When I brought it up to Britney she was all for it."

This woman is full of sh!t. I have a hard time believing her daughter said that. More like MOM programming such ideas into that poor child's head. And even if she DID say that-SHE'S EIGHT!! Who is the PARENT here?!?

Good grief... :barf:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

I can only hope child protective services remove the child from this obviously unfit mother.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Oh for crying out loud!      :suspect:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

Supposedly Mommy got Botox herself so not sure that maybe we should think about that not being a good example for children either.

No, in this case, it was Mommy's idea and, to tell the truth, how she thought telling a national news program that you did this kind of thing was a good idea.

Surely she did not think that people would say "yay, go girl" or think this was okay?  :headshake:

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#7 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Tricia, on 14 May 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

Supposedly Mommy got Botox herself so not sure that maybe we should think about that not being a good example for children either.

Yes, she shot it directly into her brain. :p~

:tired:  :crazy:

And I'm not kidding. Child protective services need to take a hard look at these child beauty pageants. I personally find them obscene. :barf:

:angry:
Posted Image

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:01 PM

Tricia, on 14 May 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

Surely she did not think that people would say "yay, go girl" or think this was okay?  :headshake:

Truth be told? You'd be surprised.

:fear:
Posted Image

#9 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

Oh... wow. Just wow.

Botox is a toxin you know, derived from the toxin of one of the most toxic bacteria on the planet. It paralyzes muscles. Permanently.

What mother in the world injects that into her eight year old child? (Though to me, why ANYONE would want to do this seems insane.)
Rejected and gone.

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

Mikoto, on 15 May 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

Oh... wow. Just wow.

Botox is a toxin you know, derived from the toxin of one of the most toxic bacteria on the planet. It paralyzes muscles. Permanently.

What mother in the world injects that into her eight year old child? (Though to me, why ANYONE would want to do this seems insane.)

Like I said-take a look at child beauty pageants, and the kind of sh!t these "parents" put these poor CHILDREN through. Why not let a kid be a kid?!? Why TORTURE your child like that?!? And OF COURSE some of these kids say they "want" to do this nonsense. It's all about saying what mommy wants to hear. :glare: These are BABIES. They don't have a CLUE what they're talking about. They are MEAT PUPPETS for their SICKO PARENTS-DRESS-UP DOLLS. :ranting:

Let me tell you-I have a few hot-button issues that set me off on a tear, and THIS is one of them. Jon-Benet Ramsey, anyone???

:crazy: :glare:
Posted Image

#11 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

I find Botox for wrinkles weird even in older folks.  For one thing, wrinkles are a natural sign of aging and I never really saw what the big deal about them was.  Ok, a 50 year old isn't going to look like they're 20, but so what?  Unless they're really pronounced I never saw them as being ugly.  But maybe that's more a personal quirk than anything else.  I don't expect skin to be flawless, so when it is it looks slightly weird/fake to me.  This is particularly true for older folks.

There are medical uses for Botox that aren't fashion-related, and those don't bother me at all.  If her kid had some sort of spastic disorder I wouldn't care one way or the other.  But how many wrinkles can an 8 year old even have?  Mom is a nut, and is teaching her nuttiness to her kid.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#12 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

Analog Kid, on 15 May 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

Mikoto, on 15 May 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

Oh... wow. Just wow.

Like I said-take a look at child beauty pageants, and the kind of sh!t these "parents" put these poor CHILDREN through. Why not let a kid be a kid?!? Why TORTURE your child like that?!? And OF COURSE some of these kids say they "want" to do this nonsense. It's all about saying what mommy wants to hear. :glare: These are BABIES. They don't have a CLUE what they're talking about. They are MEAT PUPPETS for their SICKO PARENTS-DRESS-UP DOLLS. :ranting:

Let me tell you-I have a few hot-button issues that set me off on a tear, and THIS is one of them. Jon-Benet Ramsey, anyone???

:crazy: :glare:

I confess, I've never actually paid attention to child beauty pageants. Some "talent shows" yes, pageants now. I'm off to do a bit of research into the subject and see what I come up with. Though something's telling me I probably won't like it.

Finding that your kid has a natural talent and doing your best to nurture it without being pushy is one thing, well, BEING pushy is another. Or trying to foist your dreams off on your kid because you didn't achieve them. Or you want to relive it through your child.

My mother is slightly like that, only the one thing she wants me to do is most definately an adult thing. She wants grandkids. Badly. But the fates have been cruel in thate case because I'm asexual and thus the whole kids thing is most likely never gonna happen. Lucky my brother has already got himself married and has a son already I suppose...
Rejected and gone.

#13 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

Nikcara, on 15 May 2011 - 11:57 AM, said:

I find Botox for wrinkles weird even in older folks.  For one thing, wrinkles are a natural sign of aging and I never really saw what the big deal about them was.  Ok, a 50 year old isn't going to look like they're 20, but so what?  Unless they're really pronounced I never saw them as being ugly.  But maybe that's more a personal quirk than anything else.  I don't expect skin to be flawless, so when it is it looks slightly weird/fake to me.  This is particularly true for older folks.

There are medical uses for Botox that aren't fashion-related, and those don't bother me at all.  If her kid had some sort of spastic disorder I wouldn't care one way or the other.  But how many wrinkles can an 8 year old even have?  Mom is a nut, and is teaching her nuttiness to her kid.

You're not the only one that finds it to be weird to shoot Botox into one's face to hide wrinkles.  

First of all...toxins!!! :eek2:

Second of all, I like a natural face that moves.  Some actresses have gotten so carried away with it that it's hard to tell what emotion they are trying to express.  They look plastic.  I've seen a few everyday people who have done it to that extent too.

And I have no problem with wrinkles, mine or someone else's.  It's part of the story of your life. I have a few 'laugh' lines.  Would I erase them?  No.  

As to legitimate medical reasons for a child to have Botox---I heard that it is used to treat 'cross-eyes'.  Something else was mentioned in follow-ups to this story but I forget.

#14 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:42 PM

As to child beauty pageants---

I hate them.

One of my cousins tried to get me to put my daughter in them when she was a toddler...her kids did them.  I didn't say No.....I said "HELL NO!!"

Not that I would approve more but let kids be kids and let them look like kids, not tarted up mini-adults if one MUST have a pageant.  It's just plain disturbing for a 4 yr old or even an 8 yr old to look like an adult deliberately for a kiddie pageant.

Not to mention that a lot of those little girls only find their self-worth or validation in their looks and being chosen as the winner, the most beautiful.

A parent should let their kids be themselves, pursue their own dreams.  Do I want my kids to be the best they can be?   Yes...but only if what they are doing is their dream, what they want to do, what makes them happy.
I like seeing their happiness and enthusiasm for life and their interests. That makes me happy, not them following my plan for their life.

(actually I never had a plan for them....except to give them the confidence and support I never had)

Edited by Tricia, 15 May 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#15 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

Mark: :Oo: Shooting toxins into your 8 year old daughter? Nuf said. :angry:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#16 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

Here. This is what botox is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botox

Yeah, I know its wikipedia which is very unscientific of me. (My lecturers back in uni would probably have a fit if they saw this now. ;)) But the information on this page is actually pretty accurate.

The thought of someone injecting this into themselves for cosmetics, I find very strange. Putting it into a child well... I have no words.

I looked up child beauty pageants too. Sickening. Especially the heavy 'glitz' ones

Edited by Mikoto, 15 May 2011 - 04:36 PM.

Rejected and gone.

#17 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

Well, the little girl has been taken away from her mom...this is generally standard practice when it comes to investigations by CPS.

Botox Mom's daughter taken away

A mum who admitted giving her eight year old daughter Botox injections has had her taken away by social workers.
Britney Campbell was removed from the care of her mother Kerry after a TV appearance boasting about the beauty treatment sparked outrage across America.
Hundreds of complaints were received when Kerry was featured on the Good Morning America show injecting her daughter with the anti wrinkle treatment.

She claims that other mothers on the pageant circuit do the same thing and, of course, pageant officials deny it.  But if it's true then there needs to be more investigation.  Even if it proves not to be true a little investigation still wouldn't hurt

BTW in the link is a pic of this child made up for pageant.

Dermatologists and child psychology experts said that injecting Botox into a child is clearly unhealthy and ill advised.
'Medically, who knows what this is going to do to a growing child, and then psychologically, oh my God. It's disgusting,' Dr. Laura Davies, a child psychiatrist at California Pacific Medical Centre told the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper.
'The goal of parenthood is to love your kids like they're the best thing since sliced bread. It's not that complicated,' Davies said. 'The message she's sending is, 'You're not good enough.' She's prioritizing physical beauty, which is exactly what you don't want to do

I love the part I bolded because it is so true in its simplicity.  If only more parents just thought the same.

#18 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

Glad the kid is out of the house, and away from the mother. Although now the mother will probably complain: "Oh boo hoo, everyone is picking on me."

I really don't care, this woman should not be allowed anywhere near children.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#19 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Good!  All the pics were shocking, but the one with the child holding a bag of ice to her face shocked me the most.    :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#20 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

Those pictures were awful. That poor kid.
Rejected and gone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Child rearing, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users