Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Tornado Deaths Continue-Joplin, Missouri

Tornadoes 2011

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

89 people were killed by a large tornado in Joplin, Missouri. :( According to the Weather Channel, which I'm watching now, the death toll could go up. Mike Bettes, the meteorologist for the Weather Channel, got really choked up at one point. :( Dozens of cars totally crushed, and a hospital was destroyed. A 26,000 pound truck was bent around a tree! :eek3:

This is turning into one of the worst years in American history, insofar as deaths caused by tornadoes. This one was said to be almost a mile wide, which sounds like the Tuscaloosa tornado.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

Here's the Stormtrack thread discussing the chase of these storms. There are some harrowing, heart-breaking and tragic accounts on this thread. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

As always, curious about the warnings, availability of basements, etc.  Horrible in any event.

BTW, local tv station was promoting a weather alert app for iPhone - they had one day where people could get it free.  Now that would be handy because most folk who have that kind of phone probably always have it on, so it would be more useful than anything at home, be it radio or tv.   My own cell phone doesn't do much besides make and receive calls and I only turn it on if I'm making or receiving a call...
Cats will never be extinct!

#4 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

that's why I like places that don't have typhoons, tsunamis, tornados, floods, or earthquakes ... hhmm , not too terribly many places that fit the bill, but some, some
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:04 PM

The death toll is now at 116. :( Supposedly, this is the single worst tornado, in terms of fatalities, since the mid 1950s.
Posted Image

#6 SparkyCola

SparkyCola
  • Islander
  • 14,904 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:37 AM

Check in when you can FnlPrblm! :hugs: And any other EIers in Missouri.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

And as they tried to sort through the aftermath, thunderstorm.    :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Joplin's under tornado warning AGAIN.

http://weather.yahoo...joplin-2429939/

:headdesk: these poor people have been through enough. :(

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#9 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

I'm here!  :)  By the time the storms hit this side of the state, they had diminished to a fair degree.  The couple of relatives in Joplin survived.  Thankfully it hit on Sunday when my mom's aunt was at her daughter's for dinner.  The aunt's house is a wasteland, but the daughter's (a mere four blocks away) was spared.

Poor Joplin, they've gotten hit a couple more times, hindering their efforts, including right now.  The official death total is now 122 and expected to rise.

Another deadly storm is predicted  to roll straight into Saint Louis tomorrow afternoon thru the evening.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#10 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,103 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:33 PM

Yeah, FnlPrblm!  I'm so glad you are safe. :D

I am sorry to hear about your aunt's house. :( Even though it's just stuff and she is safe, it is still devastating to lose everything one has worked hard to accumulate over the years, in what amounts to a blink of an eye.. :hugs:

#11 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

This year in the U.S., over 500 people have been killed by tornadoes. :(
Posted Image

#12 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:04 PM

Just horrible. And more severe weather is happening today.

This season is turning out to be one massive tornado outbreak after another.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:06 PM

Good to see that you're okay FnlPrblm. :cool: (Every Rush fan counts, ya know. ;) )
Posted Image

#14 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

Too many people ignore the warning system. I goes off on a lot of false alarms, but when you get a EF5... :(

#15 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:15 PM

^I wouldn't necessarily say that the warnings are ignored as often as they aren't heard.  There have been times where I have a stereo on or watching something on tv where there is constant background noise (like a sporting event where the constant crowd sound) might proportionately drown out the sirens, if you're not relatively close to them.  In fact, the people in Joplin reported not hearing the sirens in what would have been the first time they blew (1 of 2) because of the hard rain and massive hail that came before it being so loud.

(Quick news quip about damage in Frederickstown, MO this afternoon and how quickly it happened.)  You might watch a couple other videos too.

Fortunately, Joplin was spared a third day of tornadoes, but unfortunately it came at the expense of other towns. :(  Poor Sedalia and Kansas City, MO both got hit.  Last night, Dallas and Oklahoma City got hit last night.  Late this afternoon, Saint Louis got hit a ton, but somehow and fortunately, we were spared any major damage and zero deaths/injuries.  The hail was tremendous.  Baseball/tennis ball sized hail in some areas.  I drove through part of that twice (once going east, then coming back another highway, but that one was less intense).
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#16 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Also, Thanks ME, A.K. and everyone else.  It doesn't happen very often, but in the extreme cases, I'm fairly lucky. :)

Oh and btw, the death toll continues to climb in Joplin, hitting 125.

LauraBertram.net

#17 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Here we don't have sirens. They say it's because people inside buildings don't hear them. They tell everyone to buy weather radios instead.

We're in the southern tip of tornado alley.

#18 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

FP: Oh and btw, the death toll continues to climb in Joplin, hitting 125.

Good Lord....
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#19 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

I think there are sirens in parks and other open areas here.  Though anybody listening to something loud on earphones probably couldn't hear them.  Local radio (office/car) keeps folk well informed, as do local tv stations and I still watch the local evening news.  Sometimes being a tv addict pays.  When there are thunderstorms around, people near computers tend to have weather on their screens.  Now there's a weather radio app for your iphone.  

With all of that, it's still possible to just be unplugged, or not listening to local media, and not get warnings.

At least a tornado or hurricane gives a warning.  You're completely out of luck with earthquakes (former Los Angeles girl here).
Cats will never be extinct!

#20 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

View PostFnlPrblm, on 25 May 2011 - 09:41 PM, said:

Also, Thanks ME, A.K. and everyone else.  It doesn't happen very often, but in the extreme cases, I'm fairly lucky. :)

Oh and btw, the death toll continues to climb in Joplin, hitting 125.

They found the boy that was sucked out of his Hummer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tornadoes, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users