• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:36 AM

View PostThemis, on 26 May 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

I think there are sirens in parks and other open areas here.  Though anybody listening to something loud on earphones probably couldn't hear them.  Local radio (office/car) keeps folk well informed, as do local tv stations and I still watch the local evening news.  Sometimes being a tv addict pays.  When there are thunderstorms around, people near computers tend to have weather on their screens.  Now there's a weather radio app for your iphone.  

With all of that, it's still possible to just be unplugged, or not listening to local media, and not get warnings.

At least a tornado or hurricane gives a warning.  You're completely out of luck with earthquakes (former Los Angeles girl here).

That's why I have a weather radio that has a flashing light and a siren... it also warns in case of earthquakes, volcanoes and landslides, but I think those would be after the fact warnings. Not that I need them here anyway.

Edited by Shoshana, 27 May 2011 - 01:38 AM.

#22 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

142 dead, making it the single deadliest tornado in US history. 100 people are still unaccounted for.

I don't know what the solution to these tragedies are - of if there even is one. I will wait and hope for the authorities to figure out how to improve the warning systems, and shelters, and building codes. In the meantime I will think of the families, and wish them all the best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tornadoes, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users