15 replies to this topic

#1 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:52 PM

... Very very late...  :blush:

I know this has been a long time coming, I've been quite busy and/or tired IRL since we got back, and got interrupted by things such as the ousting of the Tyrant Alpha, which kinda took precedence. :p  But, I finally got this thing done, and I'd still like to post it, as I promised people I would, even if everyone has heard it all already. ;)  First I want to thank everyone who've posted their reports, and said nice things about me.  I've read them all, and I'd like to respond in all of them, but I figured that combined with my own report would have me repeating a lot of things, and as it took this long to get this report out, I figured I'd save time only saying it all once, here. ;)  This will really be a bunch of completely random gushings and comments about one of the best weekends in recent memory!

We'll start with the unpleasantness...:p Purple, purple everywhere! :p  Every time I turned around someone was deluging me with something purple to sway my loyalties, and get me to turn my back on the Tyrants and conform with the purple...  And they FAILED!  MISERABLY!  I AM IMMUNE TO THE PURPLE! :p  Just had to get that out... Though it was a series of various and commendable efforts by Lil, Rov, Lil, Nikki, Lil, Jon, Lil, Josh, Lil, Jid, Lil... Did I mention Lil?... :p  Seriously, thanks for the stuff some of you guys bought me, even if it was all part of your evil (and futile) plan to turn me purple. ;)

Next we'll move onto the con stuff, since that was really second to being with the other Islers...

My two biggest regrets are missing the Farscape panel, which occured before I got there, and missing Matt Groening of the Simpsons because he was on at the same time as JMS of B5, and JMS won...  I honestly never remember a whole lot of what celebrities say during these things, people who take notes during them are much better at that sort of thing... So I'm not going to try to rack my brain trying to remember what they all said, I'm sure other people will have covered all that in their reports.  What was seriously cool was getting all their autographs!  As many of you are aware of, I did several paintings for the various actors to sign.  I did one of Zhaan and Rygel, which Virginia Hey and Jonathan Hardy sighed, one of Scorpious, Crais, and Braca, which those three actors signed, and one of Delenn of B5, which JMS signed (and wrote on there "great work"! :D)  I also procured one of the last scripts of B5's series finale, "Sleeping in Light" that JMS was selling at the autograph table, and got him to sign that too.  Only thing is I haven't seen the episode yet, so I can't open the script up and read it til I do! :lol:  So, I missed the Scape panel, and The Simpsons stuff, but I saw pretty much everyone else I wanted to see in some way or another. :)  Which brings me to...

Gordon Michael Woolvett!  I may not like Andromeda anymore, but all the people I've met who worked on it have been awesome, Gordon included.  And a proud personal moment for me was actully making him laugh!  I don't tend to ever really know what to say to these celebrities, but this time...  See, Gordon had brought with him one of the Magog larvae props used on the show, and had that sitting next to him as he was signing autographs, so as he was signing mine, on a whim I said something along the lines of, "so I see you brought the kids along!"  He cracked up!! :lol:  Needless to say, Gordon is awesome, very friendly, and makes you feel like he's really glad to meet everyone he does. :)  I also got to meet Jill and Ash again around this time, Jill for the first time (she's so cute! :D) and Ash for the second time, it was great seeing ya again!  :)

Let's see, what else about the con itself... It's big.  Really really big... Did I say big?  Big is an understatement... I don't know what we would have done without our cell phone chain because it would have been impossible to find each other otherwise!  Even so when you did manage to get ahold of someone on the cell phone you can only hear snippets of what they're saying because it's so darn loud in there.  ;)  But it all worked out nicely.  I think that's all I really have to say about the con itself...  Now onto the real important part...

Favorite moments with the Ex Islers...

There's a tie for first place I think...  One of them has to be the spontaneous filking of Lil The Amazing Drunken Filking Machine! :lol:  I thought seeing Lil debate about Tyr in person in Tulsa last year was something, but it pales in comparison to sitting next to Lil while she on the spot filks not one, but two people in the course of one evening!  I've never seen anything like it. ;) And they were both inspired, it would be impossible to pick which one was better, though watching Keith's reaction to his was absolutly priceless, a mixture of disbelief and awe, I think... ;)  Almost as much fun as watching Nikki NOT wake up once, while Lil is belting out her song right in front of Nikki's face! :lol: :D  Thank you for those moments Lil, they almost make up for turning your filk powers on me later on in the trip. :p ;)

Other favorite thing-  My roomates.  I had the three best roomies ever...  

Malinda, you are just one of the nicest, most generous people I've ever met.  I wanted to thank you for helping me find my way around the con when I first got there, I would never have known where to go or what to do otherwise, your guidance was greatly appreciated. :)  Oh, and as I've said, no worries about the bed thing that last night, we were all over on the other side of the room chatting anyway, and I didn't want to wake you, so Jid nicely offered me the cot. :)  And thank you again for the little gift bags you made for us, it was so thoughtful. :)  Next time stay up and join our giggle-fest! :)

Which brings me to Jid and Joshy... Was that some serious roomie bonding, or what? :D  Too bad the bed tent didn't work out... ;)  (next time!)  That night with the three of us piled onto Joshy's bed, whispering and giggling our heads off was a highlight of the whole trip for me, and you guys are so coming to the next con if Pooh has to drag you there himself. :D  And you know he will...  

Jid, next time I accompany a group of drunken Ex Islers to an author's hotel room until 4am, you darn well better be there to share the hilarity! :p ;)  Oh, and you in a headbutting contest with Pooh will forever be a treasured memory... :D  Seriously, I am so glad I got to meet you and hang out with you in person, and we WILL get a chance to do it again. :) You really are a great guy and a great friend, I just wish we had both been able to go see Matt Groening and go on a Simpsons quote marathon in person this time! ;)  And do you have any idea how big a kick I got out of that hockey money? ;)  Thanks for indulging me. :D

Joshy, Joshy, Joshy...  I can't take you anywhere! :p ;)  No really, you were one of the people I most wanted to meet, and I was not disappointed. ;)  We hit it off right away, as I knew we would, and I can't wait to do it again!  I know you had some ups and downs (we'll watch what we drink next time, right? ;)) but know that you are a heck of a lotta fun, and that some of my favorite SD memories are with you- meeting for the first time friday night, making each other crack up, stumbling around at 4am trying to find the entrance to the hotel and get the key card in the slot, making sure you didn't fall down every time you tried to stand up saturday night, fun with stuffed animals, and of course, late night bonding. ;)  It wouldn't have been the same without you. :)

Other people I have to mention-

KRAD- Keith, I hope you never get tired of hearing "you rule", because it's absolutly true. :D  Even if you did sign my copy of DoI with "Live the purple, love the purple, be the purple", you evil evil man... :p  Seriously, thanks for hanging with us, not once but multiple times, voluntarily even! ;)  I'm still planning to get your Farscape book!  And hopefully I'll get a chance to get that one signed some day too. :) Thanks for letting us crash your hotel room. :D

Nikki- It was great hanging out with you so much in SD, sharing our love of shopping, and comparing stuffed animals. ;)  And Pooh loves the coloring book. ;)  You were an awesome hostess, while in LA.  Thanks so much for chauffeuring us around, and bringing us to that restaurant with the Best Mexican Food I've Ever Had. :D  You're one of the nicest people I know, and always seem to be cheerful, which I think rubs off on the people around you. :)  I'm really glad we got to know each other better. :)

Lil-  What can I say, I count myself lucky I was able to spend so much time with you on this trip and talk to you as much as I did...  Yes, you tortured me with the purple at every oportunity ;), but I know it was affectionate torture. :p ;)  (And I'll never surrender!)  Anyway, thanks for being such a big part of why this trip rocked, I'll never forget sitting next to you while you spontaneously filked, the many instances of hanging onto each other while laughing hysterically to keep from falling down or something, proudly mocking the snooty Beverly Hills people by walking around with our con and EI badges on ;), exposing you to some Bob Dylan and you actually liking it, and of course the awesome B5 conversations that I was really glad we got the chance to have. :)  I've said it before and I'll say it again- there's no one else like you. :)

Rov-  These events wouldn't be half the fun they are without you and your sense of humor there, my friend.  Your Rov notes are a highlight, and provide us with a constant source of amusement, fun, and fear of being quoted out of context. :p  It was an honor to be in charge of the Rov notes while you were driving. ;)  I'm so glad we've become such good friends, and I hope we get many more chances to hang out together, whether you're buying me purple gifts or not. :p  Our B5 discussions were great, as was "So... Farscape?" whenever we got bored, or couldn't hear other conversations. ;)  Thanks for the ride up to LA, we missed you when you had to leave us early!  I'll never forget room 115... ;)

Kathy-  You are just so awesome! :)  I was in awe of the way you organized everyone, tried to accomodate everyone, and generally went out of your way to make sure things went smoothly for everyone.  We all owe you one. :)  I definitely hope we get another chance to meet, and maybe even hang out together even more next time, it was a shame you had to depart LA early.  You have a great sense of humor, and I'm glad we hit it off so well. :)  

Richie- My loyal friend Richie, were we outnumbered or what? ;)  Thanks for the constant back-up, I am very glad you were there. ;)  Your assistance will not be forgotten. ;) Seriously, it was great seeing you again, I wasn't sure I'd get the chance after I couldn't go to Tulsa, so I'm glad you were able to make it. :)

Gode- Many thanks for leading me up to Virginia's booth at the con, I probably would have missed her otherwise, and she was just one of the nicest people. :)  You are one really cool guy, and I'm glad you made the trip over here so we could all meet you.  Hope you can make it next time too, and that we get to hang out more! :)

Jon- I'm so glad I finally got to meet you!  I wish you hadn't had to leave early though, I didn't even really get to say bye to you!  Next time we're just not gonna let you go... ;)  You are as cool and as nice in person as I thought you'd be. :)  I hope we get to hang out again sometime, and for longer!

Zephyr-  It was great getting to spend more time with you this time, it was too bad you had to depart LA early!  I'm glad I got the chance to get to know you a little better, and btw, you should show up here much more often! ;)

Others whom I've met before, but didn't get to hang out with too much this time- G1223, Heropa, and Andi, it was great to see you guys again, I hope to see you all again at the next one! :)  

Others I met for the first time, and didn't get to hang around with too much-  FlatlandDan, usmarox, silverwind, mesmer, and A Karas-  It was great to meet you all, even if we ended up being in different groups much of the time.  Hope to see you all again sometime too! :)

I hope I got everyone, and I hope we all (and more of you)  get to do this again real soon!   Again, sorry for the extreme lateness of the report, look at it as a bit of nostalgia for those of us who were there, and for those that weren't, a reminder why you should come to the next one! :devil: :D
The machine guns are roaring, The puppets heave rocks
The fiends nail time bombs to the hands of the clocks
Call me any name you like, I will never deny it
Farewell Angelina, The sky is erupting
I must go where it's quiet.
-Bob Dylan

#2 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 09:57 PM

Great report! Lots of fun to read! :)

See?  It's not even necessary to go to the conventions to have fun with 'em on EI... the rest of us can just live vicariously through these... ;)

#3 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:01 PM

<sniff>

((((Nean)))) You were awesome. And I'm afraid I can't say much more without bawling sappily so I'll leave it at that. :)

And great report! :) Finally! :p
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#4 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:03 PM

*wipes tears*

Dammit who ever heard of a Nietzschean Matriarch who could inspire mushy TEARS?????

;)

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{'Nean}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

You're the BEST!!!!!!!!!!

:love:
Posted Image

#5 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:06 PM

Josh, on Aug 21 2003, 11:01 PM, said:

<sniff>

((((Nean)))) You were awesome. And I'm afraid I can't say much more without bawling sappily so I'll leave it at that. :)

And great report! :) Finally! :p
I toldya I'd get it out. :p ;)

{{{{{{{{Joshy}}}}}}} Ya big mush. ;)
{{{{{{{{John}}}}}}}} Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to come to the next one...  :angel:
{{{{{{{{Lil}}}}}}}}}}  I must have superior mushy genes... ;)  (that doesn't quite sound right... ;))
-Bob Dylan

#6 bobdylanite

bobdylanite

Certifiably Bobsessed

• Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:17 PM

Yipes, Rhys, I just saw your name in this thread, and realized I didn't mention you!  I thought I had gotten you, I had thought up in my head what I was going to say, but I guess I neglected to add it in... :blush:

So I'll do it now!  First, thanks for letting us use your hotel room and your computer in LA, even if you did allow Lil to use it for evil filking purposes. :p ;)  I'm glad I got the chance to hang around with you more this time, and I'm sure my brother appreciated having another guy around during that last part of the trip. ;)  And I can honestly say, though you may not be the loudest among us, every time you do open your mouth something insightful and/or hysterically funny comes out. :)  Hope to see you again next time! :)

Ok, now I really hope I've gotten everyone, and if I didn't, just hit me over the head with a Pooh Bear or something... ;)
-Bob Dylan

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:19 PM

bobdylanite, on Aug 21 2003, 08:06 PM, said:

{{{{{{{{Lil}}}}}}}}}}  I must have superior mushy genes... ;)  (that doesn't quite sound right... ;))
In fact I'd say it sounds down right PURPLE!

:hehe:
Posted Image

#8 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 10:25 PM

Superior.... mushy.... genes????

:blink:

How very Tyrancer of you! :angel:

*runs away very fast* :eek: :eek: :eek:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#9 Nikki Peppermint

Nikki Peppermint

Zen moment

• 16,755 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 11:37 PM

{{{{{{{{{{Nean}}}}}}}}}

Just awwwwwwwwwwwwwww....ty for the wonderful words.  I had a blast hanging with you again, too! :D

So, do you think we can take over the world with our combined cheerfulness?  :angel:  :devil:

:purpleninja: & :ninjapooh: unite!!!!!!!!

#10 KRAD

KRAD

just smile and wave, boys -- smile and wave

• Demigod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 12:42 AM

bobdylanite, on Aug 21 2003, 09:52 PM, said:

KRAD- Keith, I hope you never get tired of hearing "you rule", because it's absolutly true. :D  Even if you did sign my copy of DoI with "Live the purple, love the purple, be the purple", you evil evil man... :p  Seriously, thanks for hanging with us, not once but multiple times, voluntarily even! ;)  I'm still planning to get your Farscape book!  And hopefully I'll get a chance to get that one signed some day too. :) Thanks for letting us crash your hotel room. :D
Awwwwwwwwwwww.... :blush:

And for the record, I'm not evil, I'm just misguided.

*pause*

Okay, okay, I'm evil.  

:hehe:

And I couldn't resist that inscription, I just couldn't. :devil:

I hope you track down House of Cards, and I hope someday we meet again that I may sign it. I promise not to mention the color purple anywhere in the inscription. Honest. Would I lie?  :cool:
Keith R.A. DeCandido
keith@decandido.net
www.DeCandido.net
kradical.livejournal.com

"Don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk."
---Tom Waits, "Heartattack and Vine"

#11 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 12:44 AM

^

Yeah! Dammit man, you made Saturday night the night it was! :D

Plus, anyone who was able to make fun of my drunken antics wins an award for "most cool author" ever! :p

In fact, I'm starting to read more of your books! I saw "The Brave and the Bold" at the library yesterday. I'll get them when I finish reading the DS9 relaunch books that are out. :)

((((Nean))))

Thanks for your sweet words again. :) I promise I'll be even wackier and more tempermentally consistent next time! :p ;)

#12 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 03:44 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{bob}}}}}}}}}}}}} Thanks for the very interesting and amusing report - I'm glad you had so much fun. Next year I hope to be able to join you :)

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#13 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 09:05 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Bob}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

*sniff* so many good memories. :D

And Pooh is *so* on for that rematch! ;)

It was great hanging out with you when we could - and next time that tent WILL be a success.  :lol:
cervisiam tene rem specta

#14 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 11:37 AM

^

Damn straight! There is ALWAYS the chance for another tent! :p

#15 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 11:34 PM

bobdylanite, on Aug 21 2003, 07:52 PM, said:

Lil, Rov, Lil, Nikki, Lil, Jon, Lil, Josh, Lil, Jid, Lil... Did I mention Lil?... :p  Seriously, thanks for the stuff some of you guys bought me, even if it was all part of your evil (and futile) plan to turn me purple. ;)
:angel:

Rov- These events wouldn't be half the fun they are without you and your sense of humor there, my friend.

Thanks. Having somebody likes you who laughs so beautifully and easily is half the battle. :).

Your Rov notes are a highlight, and provide us with a constant source of amusement, fun, and fear of being quoted out of context. :p

Context is for wusses! :lol:

It was an honor to be in charge of the Rov notes while you were driving. ;) I'm so glad we've become such good friends, and I hope we get many more chances to hang out together, whether you're buying me purple gifts or not. :p

It'll be great. Next time we meet, you'll have all of Bab5 under your tail. You're a great friend to have, sweet Jeanine. :).

Our B5 discussions were great, as was "So... Farscape?" whenever we got bored, or couldn't hear other conversations. ;)

So... Farscape, eh? Farscape needs springs! SPRINGS!

Thanks for the ride up to LA, we missed you when you had to leave us early! I'll never forget room 115... ;)

I'll never let you forget it. ;). One Fifteen! One Fifteen!

I went to room one fifteen to pick up my schoolbooks today. :D.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#16 silverwind

silverwind

Not the only one

• Islander
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 11:37 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Aug 22 2003, 11:34 PM, said:

I went to room one fifteen to pick up my schoolbooks today. :D.
*wonders what kind of classes Rov is taking* :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Bob--It was great getting to meet you too, even if we didn't actually interact much :)
Proud ally and supporter of Euro-snobs and international flakes.

Signs your coworker may be able to manipulate time:  "Is this the first time you've called here before?"

Signs your coworker needs to work on their vocabularly:  A:  "It opens up in Notepad and it's just jibberish."  B:  "So you can't understand it?"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users