• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,599 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

Yes, we've had these before, but it seems to me we need a one-stop thread for them all, as Google banners get more creative and interactive. Maybe a mod might want to merge some of the older interactive Google banner threads into this one for ease of reference

Today's banner, in honor of famed luthier Les Paul is a playable and recordable guitar.
You know the URL. I hope someone posts a permalink if/when they archive it

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,258 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:09 PM

That is seriously cool.  Lots of people are saying its the coolest one ever, but I can't really agree. I thought the playable pacman was cooler (may be generational...)

http://www.google-pacman.com/

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,333 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

I showed someone the guitar today, I played it for them...they were unimpressed "why?" they asked, "because it's there and I can" I replied.

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:08 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 09 June 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

That is seriously cool.  Lots of people are saying its the coolest one ever, but I can't really agree. I thought the playable pacman was cooler (may be generational...)

http://www.google-pacman.com/

QT

:lol: I agree with you, QT. :lol:

I even downloaded it. :wink:

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:35 PM

Cool!   :cool:

You can even link to your recordings, here's mine, but it's not very good.  :shrug:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image

First day of fall!  How adorable is that?!?!  :D

SFG  :love:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

Nice. Rae will like that squirrel.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

^ I was just thinking that!  :D

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

It's one of my favorites ever.  :happy:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 03:57 PM

^ When I saw it, I called to my mother "Come and look!  It's the best doodle ever!"  And after she saw it, she described her first impression:

She said she looked at it and thought "Best doodle ever?  Well, the squashes are nice, but ... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!"  :love:

:howling: :howling: :howling:

SFG  :lol:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 26 September 2015 - 03:58 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

Happy Leap Day, with adorable bunnies!!  :love:

Posted Image

Link

SFG  :D

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

Cute. #29 just squeezes right in and makes herself comfortable.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

Happy spring everyone!

And, man those rock trolls are mischievous!  :hehe:  ;)

Posted Image

SFG  :lol:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

:lol:

So, google makes many different doodles, and only shows them in the parts of the world where they are relevant.  But they all end up on the doodle archive page, with a note saying where in the world they were made for.

Anyway, today's first day of spring is already on the archive, but so is the corresponding southern hemisphere's first day of fall.  And it's even funnier than ours!!! :hehe:  :lol:

Posted Image

SFG  :howling:

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

Cute. I wonder if we'll get to see what they're up to in Winter and Summer. :lol:

#16 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,677 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

Earth day is always a goodun, and this year they give us five doodles!  :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SFG  :cool:

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 22 April 2016 - 10:14 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:24 PM

Wow, somehow I missed all of these.  Very pretty.  :nod:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 22 April 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

I love this one.  :wub:

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

I like this one best.  :happy:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 22 April 2016 - 10:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#19 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:40 AM

I'm glad I saw this one. I didn't know who Hertha Marks Ayrton was, and that makes me sad, and knowing how the Royal Society treated her, and all women, makes me mad, but I'm happy now that I know who she was and what she accomplished.   :happy:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:35 PM

Here is an edited excerpt of her obituary from the Guardian https://www.theguard...ry-1923-archive:

We regret to announce that Mrs. Hertha Ayrton, widow of Professor W. E. Ayrton, and herself a scientist of great distinction, died at North Lancing, Sussex, on Sunday last.
Mrs. Ayrton’s name is bound up in the public mind chiefly with her researches in connection with the electric arc. Her great powers of observation and remarkable inventive faculty were turned in this direction in 1893. Her husband, Professor Ayrton, had been approached by the Board of Trade on behalf of the Admiralty with a request that he should investigate the question of “roaring” searchlights, which was being examined concurrently by the Admiralty’s own experts.
Professor Ayrton had begun the investigation but ill-health prevented him from pursuing the intricate questions involved, and at a very early stage he handed the subject over to his wife. He then ceased to work at it himself, chiefly because he knew that if he continued to take any part in it the credit would fall mainly to himself.
Another problem of physics to which Mrs. Ayrton gave close and continuous attention was the formation of sand-ripples on the seashore. She read papers on both these matters before the British Association at different times, and read a paper on the searchlight before the Royal Society. There is no doubt that she would have received the distinction of a Fellowship of the Royal Society but for the counsel’s ruling that no woman was eligible; she was actually nominated in 1902.
For her scientific work she did receive the Hughes Medal of the Society, and was the first woman to receive the honour. Indeed, she was the only one to receive it if we except Mme. Curie, to whom it was only awarded jointly with Professor Curie. She was the only woman member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers.
Mrs Ayrton took a keen interest in the professional and political enfranchisement of women. It was her opinion that women were naturally inventive and original, and that these qualities, joined to the capacity for patient work that is universally allowed to be theirs, especially fitted them for scientific work. Her house was a centre for suffragist endeavour, and it was there that Mrs. Pankhurst was taken to be nursed back to health when she was released from Holloway early in 1913.

She was an extraordinary woman, and it sounds like she married a good guy.  :happy:
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: google doodle, google logo

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users