• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

link

Normally I would feel bad about someones death. But this guy made a living off stupid, mean spirited, low-brow humor and dangerous acts, and when he finally drove his *porche* into the woods at high speed he murdered a passenger along with killing himself.

Goodbye dude, wish it had happened sooner and without taking someone with you.

#2 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Not a fan but when I read in several articles that he was posting twit pics of himself drinking in the hours before his death...

:angry:

Driving too fast and booze...not a good thing. :headshake:

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:03 PM

Sounds like he was a jackass right until the end. :p
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

what's sickening is that give it a few weeks and no one will remember his poor friend that he killed with his stupidity. it will be all about him.

i'm disgusted.  good riddance.  what's sad here is the death of the friend, an innocent party, and that his family will have to live with not only the death of their loved one, but that their loved one's memory will be ignored in favor of the piece of reality trash that caused his death.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

Here's a comment from the kind of fan this guy had:  

For one the guy just passed away, lets not sit here and say stupid stuff like oh why do people drink and drive! and this is why you dont drink and drive, show some respect for the dead people and start you own save the world campain when you dies.
Imagine, "why do people drink and drive" is "stupid stuff" to this grieving fan.    :blink:    I wonder how many snarky and disrespectful comments he's left on the obits of the "save the world campain [sic]" types.  

No, I can't garner any respect for this particular dead person or his fans.

edited to add that I just realized how bizarre this part is:

and start you own save the world campain when you dies
Kinda late for that, when you dies.    :suspect:

Edited by Nonny, 20 June 2011 - 06:19 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

Unreal. Seriously unreal.

I just saw the news about this, and was puzzled because I was on EI earlier and didn't see a thread about it. Now I wish to hell there was no thread, since it seems all people here are doing is gloating that they are glad a person died...And you people say I'm harsh when it comes to certain things....I don't hold a candle to some of what I just read.

I'm not a major fan, though I do enjoy some of Jackass's stunts...some, the ones that aren't just downright disgusting. And to be perfectly honest, I'm not even exactly sure which one of them he was...But to be glad he is gone....

Seriously not cool.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

Was isn't cool is drinking and driving and murdering a passenger. What is even less cool is tweeting pictures of yourself getting drunk to all your mostly young fans before you do the above.

#8 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:52 PM

^ which i hear have been convieniently removed. :eyeroll:  probly to make him look like some sort of saint and deny that he was drunk when he died.  :headshake:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#9 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:00 PM

Doesn't matter if twitter removed them, they're all over the net already.

#10 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:53 AM

View PostHambil, on 20 June 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

Was isn't cool is drinking and driving and murdering a passenger. What is even less cool is tweeting pictures of yourself getting drunk to all your mostly young fans before you do the above.
That may be true, but still...to be glad someone is dead? To be laughing at Dunn and insulting him seems a bit harsh. I mean, he just like anyone else, has friends and family who are mourning him, as does the passenger. :unsure:
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

I'm not arguing that. But to be glad and gloating about a person being dead...I could somewhat understand it if the person in question was a child molestor, Bin Laden, or something of that caliber. But because his humor was offensive???

Yes, drinking and driving is wrong. And it really is a shame that he managed to kill someone else as well as himself.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:08 AM

View PostThia The Muse, on 21 June 2011 - 01:53 AM, said:

That may be true, but still...to be glad someone is dead? To be laughing at Dunn and insulting him seems a bit harsh. I mean, he just like anyone else, has friends and family who are mourning him, as does the passenger. :unsure:
He drank, he drove recklessly, her murdered someone. Yes, I am sad for his family and friends. But I am personally tired of treating drinking and driving - and over aggressive driving - accidents as anything other than murder. And a murderer should not be held us as some kind of hero or example.

Edited by Hambil, 21 June 2011 - 02:11 AM.

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:11 AM

View PostHambil, on 21 June 2011 - 02:08 AM, said:

He drank, he drove, her murdered someone. Yes, I am sad for his family and friends. But I am personally tired of treating drinking and driving accidents as anything other than murderer. And a murder should not be help us as some kind of hero.

Thanks for posting that...now I see where you're coming from on this issue. Not really sure if I agree with your position, but at least now I understand it...

#14 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:51 AM

Not glad that he is dead...just not surprised given the drinking part of it. Everytime someone drinks and drives, they take that chance---unfortunately not with just their own lives though.

I'm sure his family is upset over his death and I am sorry for them.  After all he was their son, brother, friend.  And they have to deal with the aftermath, the problems, the questions.

I have more problems with some of those folks in the comments section of the article--and other articles about Dunn's death---who think it's "kewl" that he died that way and seemed to be cheering his death as a celebration of the way he lived his life and something to be emulated.   Yeah, I know...it's mostly 'just talking' but...not cool :headshake:

Edited by Tricia, 21 June 2011 - 07:01 AM.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#15 Balthamos

Balthamos

Once more unto the breach!

• Islander
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

I have to say I'd be much more comfortable if nobody was glad at anyone else getting killed. No matter who dies it's always going to cause someone a great deal of pain and heartache. It looks like topic is doing a good enough job of moving that way on its own but I would very much prefer it if it stayed away from our members being happy someone died.

#16 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:47 AM

View PostBalthamos, on 21 June 2011 - 07:26 AM, said:

I have to say I'd be much more comfortable if nobody was glad at anyone else getting killed. No matter who dies it's always going to cause someone a great deal of pain and heartache.
I was glad when Osama bin Laden was killed, I was delighted at the way he was taken out, and I do not care who was caused a great deal of pain and heartache.

It looks like topic is doing a good enough job of moving that way on its own but I would very much prefer it if it stayed away from our members being happy someone died.
May we still point out the stupidity of comments such as the one I quoted above?
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:00 AM

View PostNonny, on 21 June 2011 - 08:47 AM, said:

I was glad when Osama bin Laden was killed, I was delighted at the way he was taken out, and I do not care who was caused a great deal of pain and heartache.

As was I, hell I still have the banner celebrating his death in my sig. But putting this guy in the same category as Bin laden...that's absurd. Not to mention the fact, that there were some here on the Isle that were against celebrating Bin Laden's death.

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 21 June 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

View PostNonny, on 21 June 2011 - 08:47 AM, said:

As was I, hell I still have the banner celebrating his death in my sig. But putting this guy in the same category as Bin laden...that's absurd.
And did I do that?  

Not to mention the fact, that there were some here on the Isle that were against celebrating Bin Laden's death.
And I most heartily disagreed with them.
Posted Image

#19 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:44 AM

I see some of the reaction as less joy...no matter how it was worded...than relief that Ryan Dunn chosing to drink and drive did not end more lives than it did.  

And call me hard-hearted but I don't consider the other victim 'innocent'.  It was a friend of Dunn's who had been out with him, drinking right beside him or at least knowing that he was drinking...and still chose to get in that car with him.

An innocent victim would have been someone in another car or walking etc, in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not trying to argue this, just saying. YMMV

I do feel sorry for both families because they are left to deal not only with their loss but with the questions and anger from choices that those who died made.  I've been there.
:(

The thread is yours.

Edited by Tricia, 21 June 2011 - 09:48 AM.

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:47 AM

View PostTricia, on 21 June 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

I see some of the reaction as less joy...no matter how it was worded...than relief that Ryan Dunn chosing to drink and drive did not end more lives than it did.  

And call me hard-hearted but I don't consider the other victim 'innocent'.  It was a friend of Dunn's who had been out with him, drinking right beside him or at least knowing that he was drinking...and still chose to get in that car with him.

An innocent victim would have been someone in another car or walking etc, in the wrong place at the wrong time.
True on all counts.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Ryan Dunn, Drunk Driving, "Jackass" actor, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users