• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:48 AM

I never followed the Jackass series because I never found it interesting, but I certainly never wished for Dunn's death.  It's sad that he and his passanger died, but what he did was idiotic.  I've seen too many deaths first hand caused by drunk driving to call it anything less (FTR I also think it's dumb to get in the car if you know the driver is sloshed, but if they were drunk themselves and thought they had a sober driver I have more sympathy.  I also have more sympathy just because the passanger wasn't endangering anyone else, a drunk driver always is).

It's a tragedy, made all the more so by how easily it could have been prevented.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#22 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:51 AM

^^^^what Nikcara said  :)

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#23 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

i'm not gonna foam and rage but i'm a little irritated that a member contacts the mods to complain about people not caring that a good for nothing killed himself drunk driving.

LOTS - if you come back, think about this: how would you like it if someone had pulled that crap in the bin Laden thread and a mod came here to tell us "you know, it's not really right that you should be celebrating a death, even a death of an evil terrorist".  you'd be pissed and i wouldn't blame you in the slightest.

mods - i'm not going to have a party over this guy's death. but i SHOULD NOT be required to give a sh*t and i have the RIGHT to say so. as does anyone else in here.

i've already been lectured on a friend's facebook thread because i'm ignoring "the value he brought the world with his comedy" by some pissy fan of this reality trash he was involved in.  i don't need my free speech suppressed here too.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#24 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:15 PM

The man had many young fans. A 15 year old friend of mine on Facebook practically idolized him. He tweeted pictures of himself drinking then less than two hours later and less than a mile from the bar drove into some woods in a high performance, expensive sports car at high speed killing himself and a passenger. My friends response was "What horrible news to wake up to but you went out the way you lived R.I.P. Ryan Dunn."

His movies and shows also inspired a lot of young people to do dangerous stupid things that ended in injury and even occasional death. I wasn't laughing then. I'm not laughing now.

He lived and died irresponsibly and that's about the end of it. I am not 'celebrating' his death but plenty of people seems to be celebrating his life. Where is the outrage over that (other than poor Roger Ebert).

As to the mod 'intervention' issue - there isn't one. Give me a break. I'm getting a bit sick of some peoples martyr complexes.

Edited by Hambil, 21 June 2011 - 01:17 PM.

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:55 PM

View PostCheile, on 21 June 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

i'm not gonna foam and rage but i'm a little irritated that a member contacts the mods to complain about people not caring that a good for nothing killed himself drunk driving.

There is a difference between not caring, and being happy. Between "He died, oh well. What else is going on?" and "He should've died sooner."

Can you imagine the uproar that would've happened if someone had posted, in the Gabby Gifford thread: "YES! FINALLY! Someone should've shot her long ago." People would be beyond outrage.

LOTS - if you come back, think about this: how would you like it if someone had pulled that crap in the bin Laden thread and a mod came here to tell us "you know, it's not really right that you should be celebrating a death, even a death of an evil terrorist".  you'd be pissed and i wouldn't blame you in the slightest.

Actually, IIRC, some mods did disagree about celebrating his death. And the board owner himself came in and said "No such banner" will be put up. And I strongly disagreed with that. Was I pissed? I would say I was mildly upset, about the banner part...which is why it is now in my sig.

I'm sorry you're irritated I contacted the mods, and asked that they look into the thread. But, speaking absolutely seriously here...It was better then the alternative. Because the comments I was planning would've started an outright war here on the Isle.

mods - i'm not going to have a party over this guy's death. but i SHOULD NOT be required to give a sh*t and i have the RIGHT to say so. as does anyone else in here.

i've already been lectured on a friend's facebook thread because i'm ignoring "the value he brought the world with his comedy" by some pissy fan of this reality trash he was involved in.  i don't need my free speech suppressed here too.

I hear what you're saying. I often have that attitude when it comes to smoking, when and where I want. I'm not trying to lecture you. I don't think anyone is. I just would prefer not to be around it. Which probably means I shouldn't have entered this thread, and if I had known before that it was "Trash the dead guy and be happy he is dead", I wouldn't have entered the thread.

Hope that clarifies where I'm coming from. Hell, I wasn't even really planning on posting more in this thread, but I wasn't about to let the mods take the heat for something I asked them to do. If you guys want to be pissed at me, then so be it.

edited to fix a typo, and to remove a comment that wouldn't help the situation.

Edited by Lord of the Sword, 21 June 2011 - 03:58 PM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,353 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:26 PM

Pardon me while I blink, endlessly at the side of this argument that LotS is on... :blink:

[Evilgrin]I love it when a plan comes together...[/Evilgrin]

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#27 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,297 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

Mark: Not a fan of anybody dying, but if you live by the sword, you'll probably die the sword.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#28 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:40 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 21 June 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

There is a difference between not caring, and being happy. Between "He died, oh well. What else is going on?" and "He should've died sooner."

and where did anyone say they were happy he was dead??  unless that's how you see Hambil's line.  some people including me said things along the line of "who cares that he's dead and why make a big deal out of it, especially when he killed someone innocent with his stupidity??"

also Thia's claim that Hambil is "gloating" is crap.  he states facts: he tweeted pictures of himself getting drunk and then got behind that wheel.  despite some flunky agent that probly works for the Jackass "stars" that no doubt are behind the pulling of the photos, the facts are there with photo evidence and there's no point in denying them.

i don't think it's "cool" that he died. i'm not going to celebrate.  but i'm also not going to give a damn and i dislike that it's being insinuated that i SHOULD, thank you very much.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#29 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:14 PM

View PostCheile, on 21 June 2011 - 06:40 PM, said:

and where did anyone say they were happy he was dead??  unless that's how you see Hambil's line.  some people including me said things along the line of "who cares that he's dead and why make a big deal out of it, especially when he killed someone innocent with his stupidity??"

also Thia's claim that Hambil is "gloating" is crap.  he states facts: he tweeted pictures of himself getting drunk and then got behind that wheel.  despite some flunky agent that probly works for the Jackass "stars" that no doubt are behind the pulling of the photos, the facts are there with photo evidence and there's no point in denying them.

i don't think it's "cool" that he died. i'm not going to celebrate.  but i'm also not going to give a damn and i dislike that it's being insinuated that i SHOULD, thank you very much.

I'm not going to take any sides here, but I just want to point out that I can see how the following posts could be read the way LoTS has taken them (bolding mine):

View PostHambil, on 20 June 2011 - 12:18 PM, said:

link

Normally I would feel bad about someones death. But this guy made a living off stupid, mean spirited, low-brow humor and dangerous acts, and when he finally drove his *porche* into the woods at high speed he murdered a passenger along with killing himself.

Goodbye dude, wish it had happened sooner and without taking someone with you.

View PostCheile, on 20 June 2011 - 01:43 PM, said:

what's sickening is that give it a few weeks and no one will remember his poor friend that he killed with his stupidity. it will be all about him.

i'm disgusted.  good riddance.  what's sad here is the death of the friend, an innocent party, and that his family will have to live with not only the death of their loved one, but that their loved one's memory will be ignored in favor of the piece of reality trash that caused his death.

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 21 June 2011 - 07:16 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#30 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:07 PM

Can you imagine the uproar that would've happened if someone had posted, in the Gabby Gifford thread: "YES! FINALLY! Someone should've shot her long ago." People would be beyond outrage.
Here's a major difference: Gabby Giffords is not a jackass.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#31 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 21 June 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

I'm not going to take any sides here, but I just want to point out that I can see how the following posts could be read the way LoTS has taken them

Hambil's is not the same as mine so don't try to compare the two.

"good riddance" is another way of saying "i don't care", it is NOT "he should've died sooner" or "celebrating". kindly get your facts straight, please.

View PostNonny, on 21 June 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

Giffords ALSO didn't encourage minors to do stupid, illegal and life-threatening tricks in the name of vulgar "comedy".  can't say the same about Dunn and his groupies, now can ya?

Edited by Cheile, 21 June 2011 - 08:22 PM.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#32 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

Oh, and the passenger?  Leaving a widow before they even got to celebrate an anniversary.
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#33 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:44 PM

Nobody is celebrating his death!!!

Nobody said they are happy.

The only thing that was said that one could even vaguely interpret to mean that were posts about how he took risks as part of his career and one of those risks in his life was drinking and driving.  You take those risks in career (whether one liked that career or not) and it's pretty likely that something bad will happen. You drink and drive....

I have been getting aggravated with all the folks who claim to be fans posting elsewhere that this is the way he wanted to go... which means they anticipated this as somehow appropriate.  His fans are saying that.

It's not glamourous to die young in a tragic accident....it's sad and horrible and leaves so much unfulfilled, perhaps unrealized potential.  This is what he was doing now...likely he wanted to do other things, more...

For all these fans knew, his ambition was not to die young in an accident or stunt but to live to be an old age and die in his sleep after a long happy life.  

But then maybe I am projecting my own goal. :unsure:

Edited by Tricia, 21 June 2011 - 09:47 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#34 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 21 June 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostCheile, on 21 June 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

Giffords ALSO didn't encourage minors to do stupid, illegal and life-threatening tricks in the name of vulgar "comedy".  can't say the same about Dunn and his groupies, now can ya?

Got it...only celebrate the vulgar comedians death...got it. Ah, just one question: Who decides what "Vulgar" means for everyone?

stating "good riddance" and "i don't care" is not celebrating.  it's saying that i. DON'T. CARE. and i shouldn't have to care. if you want to b*tch about Hambil's comment being "celebratory" because he said "should've died sooner", then maybe you oughta take that up with him outside of this thread. but don't twist mine or anyone else's comments around just because you don't like my/their opinion.

also, since i'm betting you didn't read those stories i linked, how is encouraging kids to commit criminal acts or acts that can injure or kill themselves or others NOT vulgar?  and then there's the name of the stupid show in the first place, but that's another subject entirely....

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#35 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

View PostCheile, on 21 June 2011 - 10:29 PM, said:

also, since i'm betting you didn't read those stories i linked, how is encouraging kids to commit criminal acts or acts that can injure or kill themselves or others NOT vulgar?  and then there's the name of the stupid show in the first place, but that's another subject entirely....

You would've lost that bet. I clicked on them...all I have to say to them is this: First, in EVERY Jackass movie I have ever seen they put up a disclaimer...which clearly states...DO NOT TRY AT HOME. Second, if kids are stupid enough to try them anyway...it's their own stupidity to blame. I mean, are you going to blame DC comics if someone puts on a Batman costume and tries to glide off a building, like Batman does in the movies? No, of course not.

And you're comment about the title of the show...That pretty much sums up this entire argument, IMO.

edited to fix typo

Edited by Lord of the Sword, 21 June 2011 - 10:39 PM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#36 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

"good riddance" is another way of saying "i don't care"

That is not correct. It is the first half of a proverbial saying, "Good riddance to bad rubbish" and means that whatever is being described is a piece of garbage and you can't wait till it's disposed of. http://www.phrases.o...d-riddance.html While this may not be what was meant, others who know the correct meaning can be excused for thinking the intent was to express pleasure that Dunn had been removed from the world of the living.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#37 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

View PostCheile, on 21 June 2011 - 06:40 PM, said:

I never accused anyone of 'gloating', least of all Hambil.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#38 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:59 PM

View PostCardie, on 21 June 2011 - 10:41 PM, said:

"good riddance" is another way of saying "i don't care"

That is not correct. It is the first half of a proverbial saying, "Good riddance to bad rubbish" and means that whatever is being described is a piece of garbage and you can't wait till it's disposed of. http://www.phrases.o...d-riddance.html While this may not be what was meant, others who know the correct meaning can be excused for thinking the intent was to express pleasure that Dunn had been removed from the world of the living.

Cardie
^  Even without knowing the second half of the phrase (thanks :) ), I still always thought the words "good riddance" meant "good to be rid of", because that's what it sounded like.  So however it was meant, I agree that many people would read that statement as "glad the person is gone".

View PostCheile, on 21 June 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 21 June 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

I'm not going to take any sides here, but I just want to point out that I can see how the following posts could be read the way LoTS has taken them

Hambil's is not the same as mine so don't try to compare the two.

"good riddance" is another way of saying "i don't care", it is NOT "he should've died sooner" or "celebrating". kindly get your facts straight, please.
I wasn't comparing the two comments.  I simply put forward two separate comments that I thought might be interpreted differently by different people.  You asked where anyone said they were happy, I attempted to provide some examples.

I also never claimed to be stating absolute facts.  I was just pointing out that sometimes words have different meanings to different people, as the misunderstanding we just had over the phrase "good riddance" amply proves.

And for the record I am not disagreeing with your opinion.  I really don't care about Dunn one way or the other, I'm just hoping to provide a little clarity.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#39 obsidianstorm13

obsidianstorm13
  • Islander
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:16 AM

^Well said.  That is how I interpret "good riddance" as well.  To me it expresses relief and joy at being rid of something or someone that is nothing but vexation.

Edited by obsidianstorm13, 22 June 2011 - 07:16 AM.

#40 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 21 June 2011 - 09:12 PM, said:

View PostNonny, on 21 June 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

Ah...I see. So it's ok to celebrate the death of a comedian, as long as you don't agree with their comedy. Got it.
Comedy?  Is that what he did?  I thought he was a jackass.  

I'd have to care about him and what he did before I decided whether to celebrate his death.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Ryan Dunn, Drunk Driving, "Jackass" actor, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users