• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 03:59 PM

What? :eek2:  You mean all hot shot lawyers don't look and act like Bobby Donnell? :eek:

#22 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 04:01 PM

^

We should start a thread on the abomination "The Practice" has become. ;).
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#23 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 04:05 PM

I actually stopped watching a couple of years ago, before it got bad, apparently. The moral ambiguity inherent in the show was starting to bother me more than it entertained me.

But they've got James Spader coming in this year, so I might check it out again to see how he does.

#24 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:13 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 23 2003, 01:37 PM, said:

LOTS, the example you raise (the second one) is directly addressed in one of my favorite B5 eps ever, "Believers".

Lil
I know. I also enjoyed that episode. What the parents did to the child, at the end though, was just bone chilling.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:20 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Aug 23 2003, 03:40 PM, said:

Welcome to the board Marlowe:)

I think that LOTS' example is a little different because it involves ritual killing as a part of religion.  I think there's a difference between taking ones' own life and taking another...

Lil
It would be different if the person being sacrificed wasn't a willing participant. I think Marlowe summed it up correctly. If a person, belonging to a Cult, wants to participate, and is willing to committ suicide by allowing himself/herself to be sacrificed...Does the law have grounds to arrest the "Priest" who performs the ritual?

True, suicide is illegal, but they would hardly be able to charge the "victim" with suicide, after the ritual. And, Could someone please explain to me exactly why suicide is illegal?

It's not like you're hurting someone else, with the exception of friends and family you leave behind.

Almost forgot, welcome to the board Marlowe.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 Eclipse

Eclipse

Preview Guy

• Islander
  • 831 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 10:40 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Aug 23 2003, 06:20 PM, said:

True, suicide is illegal, but they would hardly be able to charge the "victim" with suicide, after the ritual. And, Could someone please explain to me exactly why suicide is illegal?
I was told that the insurance companies lobbied to make suicide illegal so that they legally wouldn't have to pay any life insurance claims. They don't have to pay if the insured commits fraud by taking his own life.

:eh:
Ashley Edward Miller said:
"Eclipse ...hmmmm .... for a minute, I thought you were someone important,
but, now I remember .... you're just that preview guy."

#27 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 03:37 AM

^^ I don't believe that.  The insurance company already doesn't have to pay for prior conditions - and that's not illegal... it's just a contract  - you can have it written in or don't!

Anyway- suicide is illegal - but they don't take you to jail for it - they take you to the psych ward.  Remember - legal insanity is being a danger to yourself or others.  So volunteering for ritual suicide falls under there.   And it isn't any less murder for someone to take advantage of a mentally ill person for one's own purposes than it is for them to forcibly capture and murder someone for one's own purposes.

Religious rights, as everyone else has said, end where the rights of others begin.  I believe that this includes children.  If a parent is malnurishing or denying hospital services to a sick child - they are infringing on the rights of the child.  This would be more obvious if we started treating children like people, and not like personal property of adults.  I don't remember what country it was that granted democratic rights to children by having specially trained government workers organize children into groups who discussed the issues of the day and then voted - their vote counting as a class, rather than individually, or something like that.  I thought it was the most innovative way to instruct children in civics AND to give truth to the idea that children are people with independent thoughts and the ability to contribute meaningfully, if childishly, to the exchange of ideas!

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 24 August 2003 - 03:40 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#28 Marlowe

Marlowe
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 01:47 PM

Anyway- suicide is illegal - but they don't take you to jail for it - they take you to the psych ward. Remember - legal insanity is being a danger to yourself or others. So volunteering for ritual suicide falls under there. And it isn't any less murder for someone to take advantage of a mentally ill person for one's own purposes than it is for them to forcibly capture and murder someone for one's own purposes.

But that's the fallacy - that anyone who wishes to end their life is automatically "sick".  This person I knew was not sick, she was in despair and she wanted to die.  Why should the state be able to decree that she didn't have the right to end her own life?  The individual's rights are more important -a nd what could be more important to have freedom over than your own death?

It would be my contention that just because someone was a willing sacrifice would not make them mentally ill - who are we to say where a person's religious conviction should stop?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: First Amendment, Religion

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users