offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

well the title does say car buffs eh?

/bestadrianpaulvoice 'there can be only one'

{ 1958 DeSoto Adventurer )

If I had been a movie star in those crazy awesome unforgettable and never to be repeated Sixties
- THIS would have been my ride out to the evening hot spots
:harper:

Attached Files

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#44 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

^ Very nice. :D

#45 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Attached File  vintage_plymouth_coupe_bad_luck_640_03.jpg   35.89K   0 downloads

#46 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostM.E., on 21 March 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

This one puts me in mind of an old style gun, can't remember what it's called.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#47 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

View PostRaeven, on 30 July 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

It is a photoshop job

here's the original pic

Attachment anlq21.jpg

Mark: It looks like a Frankenstein model...a cross between an old String Ray Corvette, and perhaps a Jaguar. I'm just guessing, but from the front of the door to the rear (everything except a few customized modifications) is a Corvette Sting Ray. The front of the door up to the front has a distinctively Jaguar appearance. They've obviously changed the Corvette's upper-half with modifications of the window, rear support wing, and the glass. Also, the very back of the vehicle has distinctively British styling...similar to those found in a Jaguar, or AC Ace Bristol. Okay, forget the AC Ace Bristol, those headlights are squarish. At any rate, it's a cross between American and British vintage automobiles. Here are some pictures I found to support my theory...
Attached File  1966_Jaguar_XKE_Coupe_Project_For_Sale_Rear_1_resize.jpg   90.47K   2 downloads
Attached File  1966_Jaguar_XKE_Coupe_Project_For_Sale_Front_0_resize.jpg   111.04K   2 downloads
Attached File  1962_Jaguar_E_Type_FHC_Vintage_Race_Car_Front.jpg   30.22K   2 downloads
Attached File  57_AC_ACE_Bristol_Zagato_Cpe_DV-06-Q_013.jpg   92.67K   2 downloads
Attached File  57_AC_ACE_Bristol_Zagato_Cpe_DV-06-Q_04.jpg   70.83K   2 downloads

Edited by Mark, 19 June 2012 - 01:27 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#48 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Mark: Jaguar E-type vs. Corvette Sting Ray...
Attached File  Jaguar E-type vs. Corvette Sting Ray.jpg   38.87K   2 downloads
Those rounded lights in the back of the Frankenstein look like those found on the Jaguar E-type.

Edited by Mark, 19 June 2012 - 01:25 PM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#49 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Mark: OH, I found one more really RARE entry from Jaguar. This 1964 one-of-a-kind concept car recently made a revival, after sitting for 47 years after being badly damaged in a crash.
Attached File  low-drag-lightweight-1964-jaguar-e-type-9.jpg   32.04K   2 downloads
Notice how much it looks like an old Corvette in it's rear-window area? If I had just seen this photo without a description, I'd have sworn it to be an old Corvette...except for the gas filler cap being on the top right-hand side of the trunk area. :whistle:

You'll note the location of the gas filler on the real 1966 Corvette Sting Ray...
Attached File  Rear view 1966 Corvette Sting Ray.jpg   86.95K   2 downloads

Edited by Mark, 19 June 2012 - 01:43 PM.

Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#50 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

^ Nice! :drool:

They must have built this truck with Shaquille O'Neal in mind. :lol:

Attached File  daily_picdump_991_640_49.jpg   41.43K   1 downloads

#51 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

Wow, Mark, I'd never have expected you to have such an eye for Jaguars!

I was recently briefly infatuated with one at a local repossession car auction. I've been there so often lately that I've become friends with the manager and staff, and I've learned some tricks about their scheduling/operations that let me detect when a seller has finally given up on getting anything like "true value" (which, for a less-common car in the current economy, they'll only get if some newb happens to wander in looking for that particular type) and has switched a car to "No reserve" -- potentiallyr pennies on the dollar

[Ironically, Toyota --and after Toyota's recent publicity black eyes, Honda-- have engendered such blind brand loyalties/reps that they can sell for 2x what a similar car (often the same car/factory, sold under a different badge/marque) -- even a car that's several years newer, with up to 50K fewer miles. Auctions are funny business, because few people buy enough cars in a short time span to really learn what is going on, The buyers who do, buyers don't CARE whether a given car is truly a good deal; they only care what the naive public is looking to buy. They make much more money on cars they can sell in a week than on slower selling cars that are objectively much better buys

Fortunately(?), I realized I have no space for a car that will require any appreciable time in the shop (even for routine maintenance) or hard to find parts. But dang, it was a close, close call. That's why I immediately recognized what seems to be your more than casual appreciation of the Jaguar's lines/history.   I'm guessing you have a story there!

#52 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Mark: Yeah...my story is I admire Jaguars...and I'm sticking to it. :smile2:
Mark
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#53 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,951 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

I'm so tired of plastic cars.  

Here's my new dream car...  1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442...

Attached File  1970-oldsmobile-cutlass-442-holiday-coupe-muscle-car-definition-1024x576.jpg   118.28K   0 downloads

https://www.muscleca...tlass-442-w-30/

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users