• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000009

The federal government ruled on Friday that marijuana has no accepted medical use and should remain in the same class of drugs as heroin.The decision comes nearly nine years after marijuana supporters asked the government to reclassify the drug to take into account the growing body of research conducted across the globe that proves it's effective in treating certain diseases, reports The Los Angeles Times.

The paper spoke to advocates who criticized the ruling but are pleased that the government has finally responded, which allows them to appeal to the federal courts.

I thought it had been widely accepted as good for glaucoma patients and it helped patients on chemo?  I remember actually being prescribed pills that were the active ingredient [THC I believe] of marijuana.  Course those were pills and I had to pay a hefty price for them.  Growing a little would have been much easier.

I don't happen to like pot, never cared for it myself [in my ill spent youth], but it does help with some illnesses.  I know that BIG PHARMA doesn't want it rescheduled, but to decide it had NO medical value.. hmm I'm actually a little surprised, given the number of people who use the drug for medical puurposes here in the US.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:15 PM

It is a ruling not based on facts, as far as I am concerned. And how much sense does this make this when tabacco and alcohol are both legal?

Though I am not really surprised at the ruling, as dumb and wrong as it is.

Edited by sierraleone, 09 July 2011 - 07:16 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

This is just another profit-based lie from those who don't give a crap about human misery.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 09 July 2011 - 07:15 PM, said:

It is a ruling not based on facts, as far as I am concerned. And how much sense does this make this when tabacco and alcohol are both legal?

Though I am not really surprised at the ruling, as dumb and wrong as it is.
It's not even remotely based on facts: link

#5 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

It's nonsense.  I know no better medicine for treating migraine headaches, for example.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#6 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:37 AM

The whole idea that pot is illegal is ludicrous.  I don't smoke anymore (but back in the day...) and
it just isn't even close to the problem that alcohol is.  And the cottage industries that would come
out of marijuana crops is incredible.  Pot plants make hemp and you can make lots of stuff from hemp.
How many people are doing hard time for pot?  We could save the middle class if pot were legal.  But
prisons and big pharma would suffer and we wouldn't want that.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#7 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:55 PM

Booooo! THC really helps with my fibromyalgia.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#8 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Poor Timothy Leary is rolling over in his grave. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Medical Marijuana, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users