• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 Blondie

Blondie

The Peroxide Jihad

• Dead account
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 04:35 PM

John Geoghan was killed today in prison...

http://www.foxnews.c...3,95527,00.html

I have hard feelings for this man.  While I'm against putting people to death, he betrayed the trust that others put in him as a priest, and cost the Church millions in settlements.  Shortly put, good riddance.
The ditz FKA TrancesHuggyPillow

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 04:43 PM

can't say i'm terriby surprised. It's been my understanding for some years that in american prisons inmates tend to murder child abusers or at least try to.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Blondie

Blondie

The Peroxide Jihad

• Dead account
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 05:43 PM

Molesters are kept seperate from the rest of the population for their own protection.  But as a rule, I'm afraid child molesters have a bad time in prison.
The ditz FKA TrancesHuggyPillow

#4 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:10 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

IMO, he got exactly what he deserved. The inmate that killed him should be given time off for good behavior.  ;)
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#5 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:10 PM

TrancesHuggyPillow, on Aug 23 2003, 03:43 PM, said:

Molesters are kept seperate from the rest of the population for their own protection.  But as a rule, I'm afraid child molesters have a bad time in prison.
Child molestors* are not normally housed with the general popultion. Obviously this man was for some reason. Inmates do have their own code of conduct. In a bizarre way, justice has been served with this.

kimmer

*Inmates see a difference between "child" molestors and molestors/rapists. It's too bizarre to explain - just trust me that they do. :barf:

#6 No Name

No Name

Will fold, spindle, and definitely mutilate

• Islander
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:14 PM

edited

Edited by No Name, 23 August 2003 - 10:39 PM.

#7 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:21 PM

"Where the hell am I?"
Exactly, Geoghan.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:23 PM

Javert Rovinski, on Aug 23 2003, 07:21 PM, said:

"Where the hell am I?"
Exactly, Geoghan.
LMAO.

Rov, you owe me money for a new monitor. Read your post and coffee went everywhere...LOL
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 No Name

No Name

Will fold, spindle, and definitely mutilate

• Islander
  • 558 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:32 PM

edited

Edited by No Name, 23 August 2003 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:37 PM

I can't help but wonder why they would isolate Child Molesters...Why would they try and "Protect" these...things?

If they do the crime, they should have to take whatever happens to them while they're doing their time.

And, in this case, Justice was served when another inmate finally got his hands on Geoghan.

#11 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:44 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Aug 23 2003, 04:37 PM, said:

I can't help but wonder why they would isolate Child Molesters...Why would they try and "Protect" these...things?
Lots of reasons:

*Legal liabilities
*It's the law
*Protection of staff that has to deal with all the inmates.

As disgusting as he is to you and I, he is still just as entitled to protection while doing his time as someone who murders 100 people.

kimmer - who's gonna shut up before she starts telling y'all what she thinks of the current justice system and how she'd like to go back to ....  :silenced:

#12 Rov Judicata

Rov Judicata

Crassly Irresponsible and Indifferent

• Islander
  • 15,720 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:45 PM

Sorry LotS. ;).

And while I understand and agree with the position 'child molesters are scum', society *does* have an obligation to take reasonable steps to protect its prisoners. If it turns out that the guards deliberately endangered this man, that's a serious offense. That being said, it's hard to protect men who are so hated and surrounded by criminals.
St. Louis must be destroyed!

Me: "I have a job and five credit cards and am looking into signing a two year lease.  THAT MAKES ME OLD."
Josh: "I don't have a job, I have ONE credit card, I'm stuck in a lease and I'm 28! My mom's basement IS ONE BAD DECISION AWAY!"
~~ Josh, winning the argument.

"Congress . . . shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis[.]" ~1 U.S.C. 1, selectively quoted for accuracy.

#13 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:46 PM

^^indeed. he was not given the death sentence by law, so he was left in a place where they must have known it was likely to be carried out by the general inmate population

Edited by Godeskian, 23 August 2003 - 06:46 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#14 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:50 PM

Godeskian, on Aug 23 2003, 04:46 PM, said:

^^indeed. he was not given the death sentence by law, so he was left in a place where they must have known it was likely to be carried out by the general inmate population
There has to be a reason he was housed with the gen. pop. Until we hear why, I don't fault the correctional dept. I do wonder why, but I don't place any blame. Prison isn't a nice place, and it's filled with some absolutely horrid individuals.

kimmer

#15 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 06:53 PM

Really Kimmer?

I'll admit that there are some truly nasty people in prison, but there is a substantial amount of people in US prisions who have done nothing worse than smoked a joint in view of the law. or people in jail for white collar crime, who may have broken the law, but are hardly anywhere near the level of a child abuser.

But i agree with you about the reasons, and i take that back. There may have been a good reason for where he was housed.

Edited by Godeskian, 23 August 2003 - 06:54 PM.

Defy Gravity!

#16 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:21 PM

Godeskian, on Aug 23 2003, 04:53 PM, said:

I'll admit that there are some truly nasty people in prison, but there is a substantial amount of people in US prisons who have done nothing worse than smoked a joint in view of the law. or people in jail for white collar crime, who may have broken the law, but are hardly anywhere near the level of a child abuser.

First, you are confusing the distinction between going to JAIL and going to PRISON. If you've smoked a joint, you go to JAIL. In CA, if you sell drugs near a school yard, you go to PRISON. In the US, if you commit murder, you go to PRISON. If you molest children, you go to PRISON. If you do a white collar crime of a small magnitude, you go to JAIL. If you do a white collar crime of a high enough magnitude (swindling an elderly person out of their life savings, etc) you go to PRISON. There is a difference in your crime. Typically, the penalty and where you serve your time, fits the crime.

In CA, for example, non-violent crimes (bad check writers, con-men, burglars who do not carry a weapon, white collar criminals) are separated from other inmates. Thus we have inmates designated level 1, level 2, level 3 and level 4. More than likely, Boston had this man segregated not by his crime, but by his age group. Geriatrics inmates tend to be extremely conservative.

In the US, the prison system has the obligation to protect the incarcerated from each other. Until we hear all the details, we really can't make any judgments against the justice system. We can wonder, but you really shouldn't make a snap decision that they didn't do their job.

The priest was convicted of indecent assault and battery a ten year old boy. Typically that would not sit well with an older, "conservative" inmate population.

The assault could have resulted over so many varied things that until the investigation is finished, we don't even know the motives of the attacker, thus it is inappropriate for us to jump to conclusions on who killed him and why they did so.

kimmer

Edited by kimmer, 23 August 2003 - 10:27 PM.

#17 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:22 PM

I can only speak, Gode, of what I know of the Texas Dept of Corrections.  It is acknowledged fact that most criminals, even violent ones, have a special hatred and disgust of child molestors.  I do not know the reasons, but they are acknowledged, by the suthorities to be there.

In the TDC they are kept seperate, often in seperate facilities. If a prisoner has special medical neeed, or treatment for major illnesses they get shipped to the unit in Galveston, violent, or gang types end up at one of the three units in Huntsville, quieter less offending sorts end up in one of the less strigently policed units else where.

What first comes to mind is my sadness for his relatives, and a softly said ' Let thee that is without sin cast the first stone.'  I in No way shape or form condone, approve, or agree with what he is said to have done.

saying that ....and don't come back!
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#18 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:39 PM

Kimmer,

You make a big deal of the difference between Jail and Prison, i have to admit i wasn't aware there was a difference.

What exactly is the difference between Jail and Prison?

Defy Gravity!

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 07:40 PM

kimmer, on Aug 24 2003, 01:21 AM, said:

Godeskian, on Aug 23 2003, 04:53 PM, said:

Really Kimmer?
Really Godeskian!  :eh:
my apologies, that was  only mean as honest surprise, not as a scathing remark. If it came across as such then please accept my apologies.

I'll edit that to make it more clear if you want.

Defy Gravity!

#20 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 23 August 2003 - 08:20 PM

^^Apology accepted Godeskin. Editing is up to you. I edited the comment from my post.

Godeskian, on Aug 23 2003, 05:39 PM, said:

Kimmer,

You make a big deal of the difference between Jail and Prison, i have to admit i wasn't aware there was a difference.

What exactly is the difference between Jail and Prison?

Jail is confinement by the county (sometimes on behalf of a city within the county), and is usually limited to 364 days. If you are going to do one year or more, usually you are sent to state prison. This is true of CA, and the majority of the states function this way.

Your first and or second offense, minor felonies, misdeamors (public intoxication, public joint smoking in front of an officer, your first burglary - as long as it does not involve a weapon or something more serious, etc.), will get you sent to JAIL.

Selling controlled substances, murder, forceable rape (multiple victims), molestation (multiple victims), rape or molestation that includes an assault - these will get you PRISON time.

kimmer

Edited by kimmer, 23 August 2003 - 10:27 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, John Geoghan, Priest, 2003

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users