Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

Centered in Virginia. No links yet...

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,550 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:36 PM

It's a 5.9, felt all up and down the east coast and into Ohio, Georgia. Some fellow Columbians say they felt it, but I didn't. Was watching Libya coverage on CNN and once we have this earthquake, it disappears from the screen while all the reeporters talk about feeling the ground shake. Get some perspective, guys!

http://news.blogs.cn...washington-d-c/
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 QuiGon John

QuiGon John

Gone

• Islander
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

MSNBC is showing my state as one of the those-- and not the most distant one-- where the tremors were felt.

I felt bupkis. Now I feel rejected by the earthquake. :(

#4 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

USGS info: http://earthquake.us...11a.php#details

Reporting is in the 'Maps' tab I believe, for any who felt it.

Magnitude 2.8 aftershock (likely felt by few if any) 40 minutes ago.

I actually found out about this when I happened to check my facebook news feed over an hour ago.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#5 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:11 PM

It scared the s*** out of me. I'm still so pumped on adrenaline I might have to go for a run before I can drive home.

One moment I was reading about the Colorado earthquake, and the next thing I knew my building was shaking and there was a lot of low rumbling. It kinda felt like, and sounded like someone had crashed into the building.

The made us evacuate the building....then sent us in....then everyone in the area was sent home. Freakin' parking lot! To make it worse, the phone outages are continuing so I can't call out, and no one can call me (thank god for email, right?).

Apparently the National Cathedral is damaged and leaning. We're speculating at work that it might have to be torn down.

Edited by JadziaDax, 23 August 2011 - 03:23 PM.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:58 PM

I was at the doctor's office with my mom when I felt it-a gentle rocking. I didn't think much of it until someone came into the waiting room and said that the building was shaking!! :eek3:

Meep!  :crazy:  I'm stressed enough as it is-and I *really* didn't need this. It's my first quake, BTW.

:p
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#7 jodihopper

jodihopper

chubby little hopping mouse

• Islander
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:10 PM

My sisters and brother live in NC at the VA border on the I77 corridor and they definitely felt it

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,415 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

Apparently the 5.9 hit somewhere between Richmond and Fredericksburg (approx. 1-2 hour drive from where I am) at around 1:51pm EDT.  All I know is at 1:51pm I felt it where I was doing yoga.  Kinda felt like someone jumping up and down on a bed next to me ... still managed to maintain my pose ;)  Anyhoo, when the Gym Manager is yelling, "Everybody out, NOW!"  We got out.

Once out, everyone who had their mobile with them hit their mobile and we were able to discover that it was an Earthquake.  Admittedly, when it was occurring I'm think ... "It feels wrong for a heavy truck passing by, it's not a train, it's not construction, hunh, so that's what an Earthquake feels like."  

It took a half hour before we were cleared to go back into the building and recover our clothes and everything.

Anyhoo, the office let out early, and I went and voted in the Virginia Primary.

Now, all I have to do is finish restacking my DVD collection.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#9 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

I had a lamp fall over, my fridge move and some closet doors open. That seems to be all I can see that was affected.

I'm glad I waited to go home. Traffic was a little worse than normal, but when we were officially dismissed it probably would have taken 2 hours.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#10 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

{{{{{{{{{{{everybody affected by the earthquake}}}}}}}}}}}

For those of you who experienced it, especially if it was your first, I hope you're all okay.  I still remember mine.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostJadziaDax, on 23 August 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

Apparently the National Cathedral is damaged and leaning. We're speculating at work that it might have to be torn down.
:blink: :blink: :blink:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#12 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Now that is scary and if it has to be torn down.... :(

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#13 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

View PostTricia, on 23 August 2011 - 05:40 PM, said:

Well, we were going off word of mouth info...But parts of it did fall (pinnacles?), and some of it up there is leaning, so they do need to take a look at structural damage. But torn down? Now that I see better news reports, I don't believe that. It might be closed for a while, while they fix it, but from what I can see it's nothing a good engineer can't fix.

#14 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

^^Just saw it on evening news and does sound like better than initial reports.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#15 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

View PostJadziaDax, on 23 August 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

View PostTricia, on 23 August 2011 - 05:40 PM, said:

Well, we were going off word of mouth info...But parts of it did fall (pinnacles?), and some of it up there is leaning, so they do need to take a look at structural damage. But torn down? Now that I see better news reports, I don't believe that. It might be closed for a while, while they fix it, but from what I can see it's nothing a good engineer can't fix.
That's a relief.  I called my resource on all things Episcopal, and all he'd heard was about the stuff that fell off the roof.
Posted Image

#16 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

I didn't feel anything here in Columbus, but alot of people here didn't feel it anyway. :shrug:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#17 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

I was in midtown east on the 20th floor talking to a coworker when she said, "is the floor moving or is it just me?"  

I said, "sweetie, it's just you."

Then she got a text from her mom in Westchester, I got one from my boyfriend downtown, and my facebook feed ilt up with reports from Boston to DC.  

Wow.  

My whole department decided to exit the building en masse.  I thought it was a little silly, but I went along.  The streets were packed with people.

My first earthquake.  There have been others, little ones.  NYC is actually on a fault line.  But I've managed to sleep through them or otherwise just not realize.  

Crazy.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#18 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

I was at a coffee shop in Foggy Bottom when it hit; we (the customers and baristas) all just kind of looked at each other and said "what the heck was that?" When we went outside, I was half-afraid I'd see smoke when I looked down Pennsylvania Avenue.

Jadzia, you were right to wait: I left Foggy Bottom at 3:30- two hours later I'd made it as far as Silver Spring.
And let us, ciphers to this great accompt,
On your imaginary forces work.

-Wm. Shakespeare Henry V Prologue

Now, was it just the eggs? Or was the ham green as well?

#19 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:18 AM

I'm glad to hear that my good friend and her family were merely shaken, not stirred.  :bigsmile:
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#20 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:24 AM

You would think by now I would learn not to go off hearsay ;). Bad me!

I do know someone who lives in Mineral, VA. She reports no major damage (but her foundation did crack) and a distrust of the nearby nuclear station (as they claim "incident" but are running on backup). She also said that it felt and sounded like an explosion, and was relieved the apocalypse had not started (glad to see her sense of humor intact).

I'm a bit surprised we haven't had more aftershocks. Colorado has had a ton of them, we've had two.

Ishmael That's pretty bad! Did you drive or take the metro? I know metro is going to be slow for a bit, which kinda stinks, I have to be in DC early Thursday morning, and I don't want to have to get up super early to accommodate for slowness. Oh the other hand...I might not. The building I'm supposed to go to has.....issues right now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, 5.9 Earthquake, Virginia, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users