Natural disasters 5.9 Earthquake Virginia 2011

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

I was sitting at my desk in the GAO building on the first floor and I wondered if there
was a big truck moving in the parking garage.  I asked my boss are you feeling that and
then the real shaking started.  We have cubicles and nothing looked like it would be safe
to hide under if the seven story building pancaked.   :crazy:  There was no pancaking but
we got a good jolt in NW DC.  Our bosses came running through and said grab your sh*t and
get out, which we did.  

I left work at 3:30 and the Metro was terrible.  Well maybe not the Metro itself but the people were freaking insane.  All cars were stuffed and people were still trying to get in.  But it only took a little longer to get home than normal.  Overall an adrenaline overload kind of day.  A lot of people were saying the first thing they thought of was 9/11.   :unsure:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#22 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Comparitive earthquake stuff,
it was because it was so close to the surface, how the energy released beside how much,

http://www.komonews..../128271848.html
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#23 Ishmael Autolycus

Ishmael Autolycus

A wanderer, and a picker-up of unregarded trifles.

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:22 AM

Jadzia I was driving. Going by what Balderdash said you might be okay taking Metro. I'd check their website first though.
And let us, ciphers to this great accompt,
On your imaginary forces work.

-Wm. Shakespeare Henry V Prologue

Now, was it just the eggs? Or was the ham green as well?

#24 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

View PostIshmael Autolycus, on 24 August 2011 - 09:22 AM, said:

Jadzia I was driving. Going by what Balderdash said you might be okay taking Metro. I'd check their website first though.

Metro was ok this morning.  :)

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#25 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

National Zoo Animals React to the Earthquake

Great Ape House

The earthquake hit the Great Ape House and Think Tank Exhibit during afternoon feeding time.
    About five to ten seconds before the quake, many of the apes, including Kyle (an orangutan) and Kojo (a western lowland gorilla), abandoned their food and climbed to the top of the tree-like structure in the exhibit.  
    About three seconds before the quake, Mandara (a gorilla) let out a shriek and collected her baby, Kibibi, and moved to the top of the tree structure as well.
    Iris (an orangutan) began “belch vocalizing”—an unhappy/upset noise normally reserved for extreme irritation—before the quake and continued this vocalization following the quake.

Small Mammal House

The red-ruffed lemurs sounded an alarm call about 15 minutes before the quake and then again just after it occurred.
    The howler monkeys sounded an alarm call just after the earthquake.
    The black and rufous giant elephant-shrew hid in his habitat and refused to come out for afternoon feeding....

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#26 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:31 PM

I saw that and was fixin to post :D

The only earthquake I've ever been in was in NC.

#27 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

View PostNonny, on 24 August 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

National Zoo Animals React to the Earthquake

Great Ape House

The earthquake hit the Great Ape House and Think Tank Exhibit during afternoon feeding time.
    About five to ten seconds before the quake, many of the apes, including Kyle (an orangutan) and Kojo (a western lowland gorilla), abandoned their food and climbed to the top of the tree-like structure in the exhibit.  
    About three seconds before the quake, Mandara (a gorilla) let out a shriek and collected her baby, Kibibi, and moved to the top of the tree structure as well.
    Iris (an orangutan) began “belch vocalizing”—an unhappy/upset noise normally reserved for extreme irritation—before the quake and continued this vocalization following the quake.

Small Mammal House

The red-ruffed lemurs sounded an alarm call about 15 minutes before the quake and then again just after it occurred.
    The howler monkeys sounded an alarm call just after the earthquake.
    The black and rufous giant elephant-shrew hid in his habitat and refused to come out for afternoon feeding....

Wow.  Amazing.  

Thanks for posting this, Nonny.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#28 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:40 PM

View PostJohn Burke, on 23 August 2011 - 01:41 PM, said:

MSNBC is showing my state as one of the those-- and not the most distant one-- where the tremors were felt.

I felt bupkis. Now I feel rejected by the earthquake. :(

You're not the only one it rejected. My friend, who lives about 15 miles from me, felt some shaking. I felt nothing.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#29 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:52 AM

Welp, I'm back from my trip to the in-laws.
I was only 12 miles from the epi-center in Mineral, VA.
I was playing in the Lake Anna water with my niece; (and yes - they did shut down the nuclear power plant that Lake Anna serves) she was coming up the dock ladder and I was trying to park the Jet Ski - holding onto the dock - when it hit.
At first I thought I bonked the Jet Ski against the dock and I was like- geeze, am I even hitting the side? Then it went super violent and I knew what was happening - the boat house attached to the dock where we were, was rocking, shaking and cracking so bad I thought it was going to collapse, but didn't even have the where-with-all to tell little Sydney to let go of the ladder and jump back into the water out of the way.  
Then the big BOOM cracked and I thought the house across the water had started to collapse.  I looked back up the hill from the water at our house, and all the glass in all the windows and doors were shimmying and looked like they were going to explode.

After it stopped I got her out of the water and tried to downplay it because she was freaked, but I gotta admit - that was some scary sh!t.  My sensitive dog ran up to the house 1st thing, but of course my mother in law woudn't let him in because he was wet :sarcasm: ... so I did, and he hid in the bathroom for the rest of the day, poor lil' guy.
All the pictures in the house were either on the floor broken or askew on the wall, and a vase got broken.  

When we looked closer at the boat house it looked like the pilons were leaning ... it might be unsafe ... not my department, but WOW.

What an experience.
Helicopters were circling the power plant checking for damage from up high - we didn't even lose power because the back up system worked flawlessly.
Apparently all is well - but visions of Japan flashed in my mind for the first hour - :eek4: I won't lie.

I hear Californians are poking fun at us east coasters, showing pictures of a picture on a wall uneven with the headline:  "Devastating damage of Quake!"   lol

I would love to learn what exactly is happening with the earth/plates when one hears that big BOOM.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 25 August 2011 - 10:11 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#30 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:01 AM

View PostShoshana, on 24 August 2011 - 03:31 PM, said:

I saw that and was fixin to post :D

The only earthquake I've ever been in was in NC.
Great minds.   :lol:
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#31 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Rabbi Yehuda Levin Blames Washington, DC Earthquake On Gay Marriage

A New York rabbi claims gay marriage and the earthquake that shook the East Coast are directly connected.

In a video uploaded to YouTube, Levin says gay rights legislation, like the gay marriage law passed in New York, are responsible for earthquakes, like the one that struck Washington, D.C. Tuesday.

“The Talmud states, 'You have shaken your male member in a place where it doesn't belong. I too, will shake the Earth,'” Levin says...
Phelps goes kosher.    :sarcasm:

He also notes that he does not dislike gay people....
Some of his best friends are....
Posted Image

#32 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:27 PM

What an experience.
Helicopters were circling the power plant checking for damage from up high - we didn't even lose power because the back up system worked flawlessly.
Apparently all is well - but visions of Japan flashed in my mind for the first hour - :eek4: I won't lie.

I hear Californians are poking fun at us east coasters, showing pictures of a picture on a wall uneven with the headline:  "Devastating damage of Quake!"   lol

Hah!  Came across another example of what I'm talking about:

Posted Image

Where I was it was serious business, but I can still laugh at these.  Reminds me of out of southern state license plates in our neck of the north driving during a snow flurry.:hehe:

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 26 August 2011 - 03:30 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, 5.9 Earthquake, Virginia, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users