#1 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

http://www.cnn.com/i...ricane.tracker/
Attached File  Irene_Path.JPG   93.48K   6 downloads

Edited by Palisades, 25 August 2011 - 04:25 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#2 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

Okay, I know we've got a couple people in NYC, but obviously, I don't know where in the city. That's about to be a serious issue, as some places are much more vulnerable to a hurricane. And some of the things I'm reading, particularly from Weather Nerd are rather scary. Yes, the guy's a lawyer, not a professional meteorologist, but he knows a hell of a lot about hurricanes. If you're in the New York area, figure out this evening if your home is a good place to ride out a hurricane, and if not be ready to leave tomorrow.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Coming from hurricane country, I urge residents of big northeastern cities to take this thing very seriously. Even if you don't get flooded or have trees blown down and roofs torn off, you are likely to be without power and running water for days. Stock up on batteries, flashlights/lanterns, ice chests, charcoal (for cooking up all that meat in your freezer about to spoil), non-perishable food items and bottled water. (Or else wash out a few gallon milk jugs and fill them with water.) Also fill up your bathtubs so you have water for washing, flushing, and sponge baths. Also have a non-electric can opener handy. Fill up your car and get extra cash.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

You don't have to tell *me* to take it seriously. ;) You've seen my postings on tornadoes and weather radios. ;)

The one good thing about where I live is that it's on a hill. I worry about places like Hoboken, which could get badly flooded. The last hurricane to hit here with 100+ mph winds was Hurricane Bell in 1976, and I was a mini-Saul back then. :p That one had a lot of lightning.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

BTW-lightning is usually rare in hurricanes. Check out this thread at the Stormtrack board to learn why.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#6 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:39 PM

Speaking of Stormtrack-

I STRONGLY urge folks to follow this thread. As I said before: Stormtrack is a board of storm chasers and meteorologists. This board was INCREDIBLY valuable when Katrina hit in 2005

I happen to be a member here. I don't storm-chase, but I've had a life-long fascination with violent weather.
Posted Image

#7 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:00 PM

East-coasters, please check in periodically.  We'll worry ya know.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#8 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

View PostCertifiably Cait, on 25 August 2011 - 10:00 PM, said:

East-coasters, please check in periodically.  We'll worry ya know.

I bumped my weather radio thread. If you don't own one-GET ONE. NOW. All the info you'll need is on that thread.

Edited by Vapor Trails, 25 August 2011 - 10:29 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

One VERY important note-

Hurricanes can and do spawn tornadoes. Remember-a hurricane is a rotating system of severe thunderstorms. As they hit land, it's possible that individual thunderstorm cells can rotate and spin off tornadoes. Hurricane-spawned tornadoes are generally known to be small, but there can be exceptions, like with anything else.

Like I said-GET A WEATHER RADIO. BE PREPARED. In particular, if you see thunderstorms with green clouds, that is a sign of severe turbulence and updrafts-hail is what creates that green color, and hail is created with updrafts. Severe updrafts means the storm is laden with hailstones, and light shining through the hail causes the clouds to emit a green color.

Thunderstorms with green clouds could very likely be tornadic.
Posted Image

#10 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

We in Seattle have 'wind storms' which sound silly until you've been through one.

60-80 mph winds with much higher gusts will down trees and take out power, and with a storm this size it will take out power over a very large area and you can expect days before it will be restored as trees are cleared and such. A windstorm here in 2005 put the power out at my apartment for a week.

#11 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

East coast EIers--stay safe and be careful.

And Cardie's post bears repeating

View PostCardie, on 25 August 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

Coming from hurricane country, I urge residents of big northeastern cities to take this thing very seriously. Even if you don't get flooded or have trees blown down and roofs torn off, you are likely to be without power and running water for days. Stock up on batteries, flashlights/lanterns, ice chests, charcoal (for cooking up all that meat in your freezer about to spoil), non-perishable food items and bottled water. (Or else wash out a few gallon milk jugs and fill them with water.) Also fill up your bathtubs so you have water for washing, flushing, and sponge baths. Also have a non-electric can opener handy. Fill up your car and get extra cash.

Cardie

bolding mine--does no good to have  any  canned goods if you have no power and no manual can opener.  

I made that mistake during Ike :blush: and luckily my neighbor had a spare as we were without power for two weeks and no stores anywhere within 40 miles open because no power either.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#12 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

View PostTricia, on 26 August 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

East coast EIers--stay safe and be careful.

And Cardie's post bears repeating

Cardie

bolding mine--does no good to have  any  canned goods if you have no power and no manual can opener.  

I made that mistake during Ike :blush: and luckily my neighbor had a spare as we were without power for two weeks and no stores anywhere within 40 miles open because no power either.

To add to this-

DO NOT buy a cheap can opener, like the kind sold in 99-cent stores. I did that once, and the things are garbage. You'll be lucky if you open ONE can.
Posted Image

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

It looks like I'm under the gun-New Jersey is under a hurricane warning.

New Jersey is now under a hurricane warning as a slightly weaker Hurricane Irene continues heading north.

A hurricane warning means that hurricane conditions are expected usually within 36 hours.

The storm is a category two and is expected pass near or over the North Carolina coast Saturday.

The National Hurricane Center is predicting storm surge will raise water levels by as much as 3 to 6 feet above ground level along the Jersey Shore. This would be accompanied by large waves.

Forecasters say Irene is expected to produce 6 to 10 inches of rain in New Jersey, with isolated amounts of 15 inches.

This month has already been a bad one for me. :( This coming week will be scary, and what a way to start it off by dealing with the first major hurricane to directly hit this area in 35 years. :(

:headshake:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 26 August 2011 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

View PostTricia, on 26 August 2011 - 08:29 AM, said:

does no good to have  any  canned goods if you have no power and no manual can opener.  

One problem I won't have - I've never owned anything but a manual can opener!  Not prepared for really long term, but I've got some long-burn candles, oil lamps and a camp stove with propane bottles.  Also flashlights, batteries, battery radios and a battery tv.  I once tried keeping a stash of water in half gallon containers and discovered it evaporated after several months so guess you need to stock up for each predicted storm.
Cats will never be extinct!

#15 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

^^I only had manual can openers too until I had kids.  And believe me, the reaction I get when using the electric can opener makes me think twice about that convenience.  The cats will come running anytime they hear it.

I have my own generator but that's only because of Ike...

And lots of folks in East Texas bought one back then too.

Not recommended if you don't learn how to properly put the generator up for the season or if you don't have space to keep it outside and running.   carbon monoxide, ya know.

I usually keep basic supplies just in case.  Only thing I usually have to buy when a storm is on the way is things like batteries and water and things like bread and powdered milk.  

(one of my aunts told me last family get together about some website where she buys things like MREs and things of that sort.  It helps her with her anxiety to have those things just in case)

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:03 AM

One of my first years in SC we had a terrible ice storm and power was out for days. There was good advance warning and I was so proud to have stocked up on a variety of canned foods--but my only can opener was electric, which I had not even thought of. Nowadays many canned foods have pop-tops but they sure didn't back in the 1970s.

Cardie

#17 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

Coming from hurricane country, I urge residents of big northeastern cities to take this thing very seriously.

Wow.  Until I read that I actually wasn't really paying much attention...  I tend to forget how immune to things native New Yorkers often think we are.

I've got to find out if the storm is going to reach up north of the city - I'm more than an hour out, but still on the Hudson river...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#18 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:27 PM

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet - but a good tip I heard on the news just now is to fill your tub with water now, while you can get water through your pipes.  You can use it for sponge baths in another shower (if you have one, otherwise -towel on the floor!) and drinking water.
I'd do a quick bleach cleaning beforehand - but that's just me.  :hehe:   I ahhh, I don't scrub too often.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#19 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 26 August 2011 - 12:01 PM, said:

Coming from hurricane country, I urge residents of big northeastern cities to take this thing very seriously.

Wow.  Until I read that I actually wasn't really paying much attention...  I tend to forget how immune to things native New Yorkers often think we are.

I've got to find out if the storm is going to reach up north of the city - I'm more than an hour out, but still on the Hudson river...

QT

Yes it will - it's projected to go all the way thru New England, into Canada and out to sea. It will be an ex-tropical storm past Greenland. I wouldn't be surprised if Northern Europe doesn't get rain from it eventually.

More - if you think you will need water (not to drink, but to flush) fill up your washing machine. And then turn it off before it drains!

And this is the time to have a wired landline that doesn't need external power. You know, like the kind of phone people had before wireless phones?

Stay safe!!!

#20 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

Yes, good tip about the wired landline, Shoshana. I've always kept one in the closet to whip out when the power goes off. Phone lines sometimes go down but are the most likely to function after a storm, while cell towers go down or get overwhelmed by volume. Nevertheless, remember to charge up everything you own that has a battery.

Cardie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Irene, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users