• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:58 PM

I'm in Brooklyn, but not in Zone A (the evacuation zone).  Actually, I'm very close to the highest point in Brooklyn (which is in Greenwood Cemetery).  That said, I am this weekend in Provincetown, MA.  We were supposed to head back on Sunday afternoon, but we decided to just sit tight.  It's safer here than at home.  

I'm a little worried for my friends in Bk and Manhattan and especially for my family in Nassau County Long Island, where the storm at this point is expected to be a direct hit.  I remember Hurricane Gloria in 85, a direct hit on Long Island.  We spent many hours huddled in the basement, the wind howling to the point where you just cried.  Then nothing.  I remember venturing up and out to the street with the eye passing overhead.  All the trees on our block were gone.  The shed in our backyard had vanished.  It was intense.

I think this will be another experience like Gloria.  

It's odd that I'm on the very tip of Cape Cod and I feel safer here. . .

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#22 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

Something I just saw on tv - fill up as many zip lock bags as you can (abt 3/4 full) and put them in your freezer now if you think you will loose power. Once they freeze they will help keep your food cold (and the fuller the freezer the longer it stays cold) and they are handy if you need water later.

Also - don't open the fridge/freezer to check on stuff once the power goes out. The less you open it the longer stuff will stay cold. Don't put all your bottled water in the fridge - you can drink it room temp and save the stuff in the fridge a bit longer.

#23 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

You know, they're saying it will only be cat 1 when it hits Long Island.  If so, I'm less concerned.  A cat 3 impact -- that could be catastrophic.  Cat 1... eh.  Monday off.  (Fingers crossed.)

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#24 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

Even if it's Cat 1, it's HUGE.

It's all about the storm surge. Remember Ike.

If you aren't in a surge area or a flood area (the ground is already saturated) you'll pro'bly just get a lot or rain and wind and downed trees and no electricity.

#25 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

I was told while standing in line at the grocery store, that all our powerlines are underground, so power outages are unlikely unless a transformer gets hit.

But I bought some sterno cans just in case. I have plenty of water, and my tub is filling up as I speak (er...type).

I'm pretty far inland, and they say 3-5 inches of water for us, so I'm not that worried about it.

But as I like to say, prepare for the worst, and expect the best. As long as you're not ripped off in the process, what's the harm? Whatever doesn't get used during Irene will get used when I go camping.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#26 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

View PostCardie, on 26 August 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

Yes, good tip about the wired landline, Shoshana. I've always kept one in the closet to whip out when the power goes off. Phone lines sometimes go down but are the most likely to function after a storm, while cell towers go down or get overwhelmed by volume. Nevertheless, remember to charge up everything you own that has a battery.

Cardie

I'd probably be sunk since my telephone is from the cable company... phones plug into the regular old wall jack though.   I do have an old fashioned phone or two somewhere, the kind with the receiver attached to the phone.   Would they still work even if I'm paying Comcast rather than a phone company for service??

Texts are supposedly a lot easier on bandwidth than phone calls, so they're an option if you only have cell service.  I'd have to look up the instructions for how to send one!

Everything's above ground here and we've lost power twice this summer in normal (well, normal but very hot) weather.  That's why I bought the oil lamps and camp stove...
Cats will never be extinct!

#27 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,297 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

View PostShoshana, on 26 August 2011 - 04:05 PM, said:

If you aren't in a surge area or a flood area (the ground is already saturated) you'll pro'bly just get a lot or rain and wind and downed trees and no electricity.

Mark: Totally agree with that assessment. People shouldn't underestimate storm surge, and it's potential to kill. If the authorities say "EVACUATE", it's time to take a bit of a road trip. Great excuse to eat at Waffle House, and go somewhere for the weekend.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#28 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

View PostShoshana, on 26 August 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

And this is the time to have a wired landline that doesn't need external power. You know, like the kind of phone people had before wireless phones?

Stay safe!!!

LMAO, how do you think I'm logging in on this old G4 Mac?! :p~

:hehe:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#29 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:13 PM

And again-because it bears repeating...

TORNADOES.

I'm willing to bet our area will be under a tornado watch. It will be the first time I use my new weather radio under hurricane conditions.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#30 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,297 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

Vapor Trails:

DO NOT buy a cheap can opener, like the kind sold in 99-cent stores. I did that once, and the things are garbage. You'll be lucky if you open ONE can.

Mark: Absolutely. They should outlaw those cheap ones. I've used sharp knives on cans that were easier than those cheap openers. Go for at least the $8.00 range, the ones with a padded handle and turn grip, they make can opening a breeze.  

I can imagine the media's stories now...

The East Coast's kitchen supply stores were swamped this morning, as customers surged in with the winds of Irene howling outside.
These customers were demanding the strangest thing..."good" can openers.  
Many customers who showed up  too late to get a "good" can opener were seen brandishing other kitchen implements, threatening customers who had gotten their can openers and were in the checkout lane. The checkout line was pandemonium as those without their Chinese made can-opening beauties threatened those who had them, and demanded them to surrender their openers, or else!
Spatulas and Martha Stewart Cookbooks were flying in a semi-customer riot, but the late-comers could not persuade the others to give up their prized choice.

One woman was seen grabbing an iron frying pan when an alert store clerk physically took it from her. She stated very loudly, "I wasn't gonna use it hit these people! I was gonna use it on my worthless husband. He took our "good" can opener fishing with him last weekend, and dropped it overboard!!  Everyone in the store stopped fighting, and chuckled at the silliness of the situation...that is before one elderly store patron took offense to "anyone willing to use something as vile and distasteful as a Martha Stewart Cookbook on him". "That was just uncalled for!" the old gentleman grumbled.

:hehe:Yes...I'm quite insane today. I'm just amusing myself in the face of one tragedy after another in the news. What is our world coming to?

Edited by Mark, 26 August 2011 - 07:59 PM.

Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#31 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

View PostMark, on 26 August 2011 - 07:00 PM, said:

Mark: Totally agree with that assessment. People shouldn't underestimate storm surge, and it's potential to kill. If the authorities say "EVACUATE", it's time to take a bit of a road trip. Great excuse to eat at Waffle House, and go somewhere for the weekend.

You see the strangest people late at night at Waffle House. Once a roomie of mine saw um....let's say, a person of significant interest to the local community at waffle house at 3am with someone who they were not married to.

Yeah..... Waffle House. Full of interesting people.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#32 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

It's 1 p.m., and we're getting a moderate/heavy rainfall now. This is a HUGE storm, around 900 miles wide, I think-from north to south. Still no tornado watches yet, but I figure they should be in place soon.

BTW-for those in the NY-NJ area, here is a shot of the radar. Outer rain bands from the hurricane are already hitting my area, and there is a MUCH larger, solid rain band with embedded thunderstorms going through southern New Jersey-which I think is under a tornado watch.
Posted Image

#33 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Also, I should repeat: the biggest threats for us here in NY-NJ and Connecticut are as follows:

1) 5-10 inches of rain, with isolated higher values of up to 15 inches

2) Tornadoes, which may spin off of thunderstorms within the hurricane rain bands. Also-some of these might be rain-wrapped, so you might not see them. Stay glued to your weather radio.

3) 40-60 mph steady winds, with gusts from 80-100 mph.

Edited by Vapor Trails, 27 August 2011 - 12:13 PM.

Posted Image

#34 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

NWS

At 11:00 a.m. EDT, the center of Hurricane Irene was located near latitude 35.2 north, longitude 76.4 west, or about 100 miles southwest of Cape Hatteras, N.C. Irene is moving toward the north-northeast near 15 mph and this general motion is expected to continue for the next 24 hours. The center of Irene is forecast to move across northeastern North Carolina this afternoon before moving near or over the Mid-Atlantic coast tonight and over southern New England on Sunday. Maximum sustained winds remain near 85 mph, with higher gusts. Irene is a Category One hurricane. Slight weakening is forecast as Irene crosses eastern North Carolina, but Irene is forecast to remain near hurricane strength as it moves near or over the Mid-Atlantic states and approaches New England. For storm information specific to your area in the U.S., please monitor products issued by your local NWS forecast office

Posted Image

#35 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

Here is a listing of all the current watches and warnings from the National Weather Service.
Posted Image

#36 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:14 PM

What is meant by the "Storm Surge"?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#37 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:15 PM

and here it comes ashore in NC, I'm a bit surprised it didn't go right over Hattaras but then keep north, keep
off the mainland, I thought the projected path looked like that; but it looks now on the scopes
that it went ashore in west from the barrier islands,
http://www.ctv.ca/CT...t-coast-110827/

on this page see PHotoes, hit the arrow to see them, and the radar scope of the big swirl on NC, beside that
sloop yacht on the beach he he,
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#38 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,653 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on 27 August 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

What is meant by the "Storm Surge"?

Water from the ocean or coastal bays that is whipped up by the wind so that it pushes over beaches and into rivers that feed into said ocean and bays. Rivers then overflow their banks and it suddenly looks like high tide several blocks up from the beach in low-lying areas. Seawalls and levees may be overtopped.

http://academic.broo...rge/ss_def.html

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#39 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

Nittany Lioness:

While the sustained high winds and local tornado activity are the things most people traditionally associate with hurricanes, it's the storm surge that causes the most property damage and has taken far more lives than being hit by debris or caught in a funnel cloud.

As Cardie says, a hurricane pushes a tremendous amount of seawater ahead of it, which means that, depending on the severity of the storm (category 1 vs. category 5) and marine topography one can expect a "tide" many feet above the highest tide, rather like a tsunami, enough to completely submerge low-lying areas, wash away structures and people caught in the open, and send floating debris like battering rams to wreck anything in the storms's path.

If one considers staying in a coastal area during a hurricane, you must be sure not just that your shelter can withstand the wind, but that it's high enough to keep out of the storm surge or is capable of surviving the battering waves.

Batrochides

#40 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

View PostVapor Trails, on 27 August 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Also, I should repeat: the biggest threats for us here in NY-NJ and Connecticut are as follows:

1) 5-10 inches of rain, with isolated higher values of up to 15 inches

2) Tornadoes, which may spin off of thunderstorms within the hurricane rain bands. Also-some of these might be rain-wrapped, so you might not see them. Stay glued to your weather radio.

3) 40-60 mph steady winds, with gusts from 80-100 mph.

I would switch 2 & 3 because because Irene won't be producing as many tornadoes as Gulf Coast hurricanes do. There WILL be tornadoes, but more damage will be done by straight line winds. And especially by the debris picked up by the wind. The higher up you go in a hurricane the stronger the winds so I'm thinking alot of stuff on highrise roofs will become airborne and cause massive damage.

TS Allison in Texas caused massive damage because it was slow moving and a rainmaker and because so much stuff (even gravel) blew off roofs in downtown Houston and busted thousands of windows.

The other thing is that Irene is moving very slowly and is really really huge. The wind and rain will last a long time

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Irene, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users