• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'm mostly worried about trees/light poles falling on my car and loss of power. So far so good.

I manged to get my hands on a Coleman propane grill, and some propane, so I'm good for cooking. That's my biggest worry if power goes out (that and running water, but I've got plenty of drinking water).
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#42 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

I heard that with this thing tropic storm winds with gusts over 80 are over 500 mi radius out from this thing,
sheesh,
do hope though that contact with shore all way up might dissipate it a touch, slow those whip winds round the right
and north sides of it as it goes, those whip rounds R what troubled Pontchartrain in Katrina time, filled up those
surge waters
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#43 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

it's at newport news now, so watch out Ocean City, you'r next
;)
see it on the scope here,
live action news from Hampton roads/newport news,
http://www.wtkr.com/...r/stormcentral/

after Virginia,
you can follow local coverage for MD with this,
the ABC of D.C., hell my old channel 7!
They'll cover as it comes up Assateague island area, and ocean city to Delaware,
graphics, scopes, radars and satellites, on the spot live coverages et al
http://www.wjla.com/

ps,
after seeing that weatherunderground pic, here is a good way to follow this thing with
them, live scope,
http://www.wundergro...1109_radar.html

Edited by offworlder, 27 August 2011 - 10:00 PM.

"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#44 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

View PostShoshana, on 27 August 2011 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostVapor Trails, on 27 August 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Also, I should repeat: the biggest threats for us here in NY-NJ and Connecticut are as follows:

1) 5-10 inches of rain, with isolated higher values of up to 15 inches

2) Tornadoes, which may spin off of thunderstorms within the hurricane rain bands. Also-some of these might be rain-wrapped, so you might not see them. Stay glued to your weather radio.

3) 40-60 mph steady winds, with gusts from 80-100 mph.

I would switch 2 & 3 because because Irene won't be producing as many tornadoes as Gulf Coast hurricanes do. There WILL be tornadoes, but more damage will be done by straight line winds. And especially by the debris picked up by the wind. The higher up you go in a hurricane the stronger the winds so I'm thinking alot of stuff on highrise roofs will become airborne and cause massive damage.

TS Allison in Texas caused massive damage because it was slow moving and a rainmaker and because so much stuff (even gravel) blew off roofs in downtown Houston and busted thousands of windows.

The other thing is that Irene is moving very slowly and is really really huge. The wind and rain will last a long time

My weather radio just went off-flood warning until 2:45 a.m. Earlier, it went off, signaling a tornado watch until 5 a.m. for my area. The radar is showing many intense rain pockets with embedded thunderstorms-some which are most likely severe and tornadic.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#45 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

Here's the latest radar shot from Weather Underground.

Attached Files

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#46 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

Just found out that my mom and my aunt have evacuated to safety. I'm not surprised they had to leave since my aunts how is in Point Lookout, Long Island. I mean, her backyard is the ocean! I hope the house doesn't get damaged.
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#47 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

I'm happy I haven't lost power yet, but I don't think I'll be able to sleep until the eye has passed Ocean City.

I'm also baking my famous Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies with Toffee while I wait. Nom nom.

I already cleaned my apartment, and my balcony. Yeah.....I'm nervous!

Edit: The TV station I'm watching (WBAL) keeps flickering. I wonder if they're about to lose power.

Edited by JadziaDax, 27 August 2011 - 10:12 PM.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#48 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:11 AM

It's a little after 2 a.m. as I type this. I just had two brief losses of power. I was sitting behind my G4 mirror door Mac, watching the Robert Crumb documentary on it, when the power cut off. After a few minutes, it came back on, then went back off again. It's on once more. I shut off the AC because I didn't want it to get damaged from the power fluctuations. I'm now sitting in my bed, on my iBook. It's reading 80% charged, and is plugged into the wall. My Asus netbook is fully charged-and so is my cellphone, which is powered off to conserve energy.

There seems to be a moderate rain out there now, with some gusts of wind. I put new batteries in the weather radio, since the other ones were getting low-it's in stand-by mode. It hasn't sounded an alarm in a long time, thank goodness. But the good thing about this weather radio is that it will sound an alarm and then turn itself full on so you'll hear whatever the severe weather warning is. We are under a tornado watch until 5 a.m.,but who knows if that will be extended or not.

While the electricity seems stable now, I'm not getting back on the G4. That will have to wait until daylight, because I'd rather not play with the G4 under such volatile weather conditions. At least, on the laptops, I can keep working if the power goes off-it will just switch to battery mode without shutting down.

Looks like the next few hours are going to be very interesting indeed. I don't hear any howling winds...yet.

:ninjadeath:
Posted Image

#49 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:15 AM

I just heard a pretty damn strong gust of wind outside my window. Meep.  :unsure:

"Rising and falling at force ten, we twist the world and ride the wind."--Force Ten, Rush (Hold Your Fire)
Posted Image

#50 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

Still haven't lost power here, but looking at the outage maps, I should count my lucky stars. I'm in an island of power with losses around me.

The eye has just about reached Ocean City, which means I think the worst is over for my area, and I can finally sleep...and hopefully wake up and still have power.

#51 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

Looks like the radar has been knocked out, but this is the last shot of the radar as the stronger bands of rain and thunderstorms whip across New Jersey.

Attached Files

Posted Image

#52 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

I think I'm one of the lucky ones who kept power the entire time. Car is good too. I'm going to walk around my apartment complex and see if we got any damage.

All we have left is wind. I can deal with that. I'm from Colorado!

Edited by JadziaDax, 28 August 2011 - 09:05 AM.

#53 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

Here, north of Boston about a mile from the coast it is windy with occasional rain squalls. I saw one flash of lightning with some distant thunder this morning. Yesterday afternoon the rain came down heavily into the evening. Not too bad around here so far. The winds are supposed to get stronger as the storm passes. Power outages seem to be in more inland in the less urbanized areas - more trees to bring down power lines.

For the first time in its history the MBTA, the metro-Boston public transportation authority, has shutdown all of the system except for The Ride, which is like a taxi service to get people to medical appointments. The buses, subways, and trains are not running. Since it is a Sunday  the impact is probably minimal. I wonder if they would have done this on a weekday. Given the quality of the storm I think the disruption generated by shutting down public transport might have caused a small revolution.

Good luck to everyone!
Julianus

Edited by Julianus, 28 August 2011 - 10:19 AM.

#54 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

I think I might still lose power. I drove around my neighborhood this morning and saw some trees leaning on power lines (I'm surprised they didn't snap).

We'll see!

#55 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

I'm far enough inland that the wind is not serious, but we're getting boatloads of rain.  The rivers in my area are at flood levels and expected to get worse, so there will be flooded roads.  Plus a dam upriver is at flood levels and will overflow soon, and make the river worse.

To top that, there was a 2.9 earthquake yesterday, (saturday) in Albany, NY, so they are checking all the dams for damage! :eek3:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#56 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,074 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

{{{{SFG}}}

Stay safe everyone. :hugs:

#57 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Latest totals on rainfall, damage and so on in the aftermath of NYC.
By NBCNYC
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#58 offworlder

offworlder

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

Snapshot of Irene from space,
http://twitpic.com/6cluem

I was watching wabc7 live today, 11 for me and 2 for NY, they showed vids, reporters on site, Bronx got flooded rail tracks, Lindhurst on LI got flooded grounds and downed live power lines, Westchester got floods like Rye on up, Staten Is got floods, but overall it's about power, water, damages, and inconvenience, branches on roads, uprooted trees, way over a million with power losses, and many should forget Monday commute til Tuesday.
hell they have to get subway cars and planes back out and into use, that'll take a bit of time

#59 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:44 PM

The worst damage to my area was a tree branch fell on a car (gently, no damage to the car). And some siding was ripped off the building. If you go near my Village Center there are some downed trees (2-3 story trees).

I get to go to work tomorrow (er....boo) since they managed to get powered restored that fast (unlike last time, when it took them 3 days to get power back).

Edited by JadziaDax, 28 August 2011 - 08:49 PM.

#60 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:58 PM

Stopped raining here, but my county is in full state of emergency.  All roads closed, dam overflowed (but not broken).  They turned on warning sirens and evacuated along river when they "lost contact with the dam monitoring equipment".  Several towns now under water, reports of floating and smashed propane tanks, a house caught under a bridge, a picture of a shed floating away down main street.  National guard rescuing people by boat, until the water started moving too fast for boats.  My town is further from river, it's now the headquarters for rescue coordinators + 911 operators.  But there's even some flooding in my town, not my street though.  This flood has broken all records for this river and dam.  There's even one unique historic site that's now completely gone.  :(

SFG

ps. I'm not sure if there were any more earthquakes, all information is really muddled at this point.
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Irene, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users