• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:17 PM

I looked at USGS, and in the VA/NY area and in the past day or so we had two aftershocks in the low 2 range, and Altamont NY had a 2.0. So nothing really. You don't generally even feel the 2s.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#62 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, but Altamont is near the dam that was undergoing long term repairs, and is now holding back record amounts of water from several towns that are already underwater. Even a minor earthquake can't be very good for it.   :unsure:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#63 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:27 PM

BTW thanks for checking!
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#64 JadziaDax

JadziaDax

E.I.'s resident insomniac

• Islander
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

No problem.

I am not an earthquake expert, but I believe generally you need to get to a 4 before damage becomes a concern (Good ol' Wiki says below a 2 is a "micro" earthquake and "not felt", and 2-3 is "generally not felt, but recorded". So hopefully that's true for the dam. The last quake in that area was yesterday at 09:20:20 UTC (er....4:20 AM?).

Stay dry!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

#65 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 28 August 2011 - 10:58 PM, said:

Stopped raining here, but my county is in full state of emergency.  All roads closed, dam overflowed (but not broken).  They turned on warning sirens and evacuated along river when they "lost contact with the dam monitoring equipment".  Several towns now under water, reports of floating and smashed propane tanks, a house caught under a bridge, a picture of a shed floating away down main street.  National guard rescuing people by boat, until the water started moving too fast for boats.  My town is further from river, it's now the headquarters for rescue coordinators + 911 operators.  But there's even some flooding in my town, not my street though.  This flood has broken all records for this river and dam.  There's even one unique historic site that's now completely gone.  :(

SFG

ps. I'm not sure if there were any more earthquakes, all information is really muddled at this point.

So it seems that while NYC was spared the worst, other places like upstate NY and Vermont were completely hammered.  There is devastating flooding all over.  Entire towns have been devastated, for example one town had water flowing right through most of it's houses, 5-8 ft high water, some up to the ceiling. One house was even washed away and got stuck under a bridge.  Lots of livestock and crops lost, I can't even bear to think about the wildlife.  :(

All bridges are closed until they can be checked for safety.  My county is still officially under a state of emergency, all roads even the dry ones are off limits to the general public, to keep them clear for rescue workers.

I am only 15 minutes from several of the devastated towns, and I know people who live there.  I assume they evacuated safely, but I don't know the status of their homes.  As I said before my town has become the headquarters for rescue coordination.  The national guard have been taking the people they rescued to shelters in my town.  I have seen helicopters and military trucks. I opened my door yesterday, and a soldier was standing in my driveway getting directions from one of my neighbors.  :oh:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 30 August 2011 - 09:11 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#66 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:35 AM

Links:

Here's a NY blog, it has some of the best coverage of the upstate flooding, with the help of social media.  Lots of shocking pictures:  

Watershed Post: Hurricane Irene

on specific towns:

http://www.watershed...am-irene-update
http://www.watershed...le-irene-update
http://www.watershed...wn-irene-update

Some facebook photos:

http://www.facebook....&type=1
http://www.facebook....6&type=1&ref=nf
http://www.facebook....6&type=1&ref=nf   :eek:

and a video

NY headlines:

Upstate Under Water

Tropical Storm Irene ended up exacting the destructive toll that was promised—just not where people had expected.

Irene causes Hudson Valley outages, road closures

More than a foot of rain fell in parts of upstate New York, making many roads impassable — including the Thruway from Westchester County to Albany. Officials did not know when roads would reopen because flooding was expected to persist for days.

Irene dumped 13.3 inches of rain on rural East Durham in Greene County and 12.2 inches in nearby Jewett. Kingston logged 7.85 inches of rain and 8.8 inches fell across the river in Rhinebeck, according to the National Weather Service. Meteorologist Vasil Koleci said many areas likely received record amounts of rain.

Vermont:

Irene 'just devastating' in Vermont, governor says

"It's just devastating," Gov. Peter Shumlin said Monday. "Whole communities under water, businesses, homes, obviously roads and bridges, rail transportation infrastructure. We've lost farmers' crops," he said. "We're tough folks up here but Irene ... really hit us hard."

Edit, one more Vermont link, with videos:
Watch: Tropical Storm Irene Causes Deadly Floods in Vermont

In the wake of Tropical Storm Irene heavy flooding inundated Vermont's central and southern villages and took down infrastructures. The state was unprepared, as it had not seen such floods since the 1900s.

As the tropical storm deluged the landlocked villages in Vermont, hundreds of residents evacuated their homes. The storm turned streets into running streams, destroyed more than a dozen bridges including three historic ones, and killed at least two people. The state hospital in Waterbury was also evacuated. Its staff and 51 patients were placed in facilities in nearby towns. Below, watch a bridge over the Ottauquechee River feel Irene's wrath.

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 30 August 2011 - 09:54 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#67 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

oh boy, another one?
http://www.wundergro...01112_5day.html
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#68 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

SciFiGirl - that's terrible, I saw supplies are being flown in to those stranded because the flooding waters haven't receded enough for vehicles to truck in.
Of course people and homes are the most important thing, but I am curious about an initial report I saw that some of the famous "bridges of Madison County", or other trademark covered bridges have been destroyed.  True?

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#69 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

View Postoffworlder, on 30 August 2011 - 09:07 PM, said:

To early to tell. Could just turn and go back out to sea.

Won't know for a few days yet - I wouldn't get too worked up yet.

Closer to home forecasters are watching a disturbance that may be in the Gulf of Mexico over the weekend or on Labor Day.

Edited by Shoshana, 31 August 2011 - 10:44 AM.

#70 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on 31 August 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

SciFiGirl - that's terrible, I saw supplies are being flown in to those stranded because the flooding waters haven't receded enough for vehicles to truck in.
Of course people and homes are the most important thing, but I am curious about an initial report I saw that some of the famous "bridges of Madison County", or other trademark covered bridges have been destroyed.  True?
Yes, we definitely lost some historic covered bridges.  This one in NY is completely gone, it was the second longest in the world.  Here's what it looks like now:

Attached File  297687_2287454421535_1104173458_32700799_2241728_n.jpg   76.52K   6 downloads

The news said that three in Vermont were destroyed.  They may have revised that number now, but there was a video they kept playing of one bridge as it washed away.  I'll have to look for the video.

I am still trying to locate several people I know.  If I try to call any phone number in the two devastated towns, it doesn't ring at all, just silence. I am guessing the switchboards must have been destroyed.

The national guard are local heroes right now. :cool:  They have spent the last few days rescuing people, clearing debris from roads and from clogged streams (so those don't back up and cause more damage), and shoring up roads and bridges.

When they walked into the evacuation shelter yesterday, they were greeted by a round of applause!  :clap:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 31 August 2011 - 03:38 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#71 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

Here's a video of the Vermont bridge as it went down:

And more bridge info:

Covered Bridges, Beloved Remnants of Another Era, Were Casualties, Too

In NY, here is a before and after animation of a valley:

Attached File  beforeandafter.gif   875.49K   7 downloads

And a slideshow of some of the NY devastation:

One cool tidbit, I saw on the news that in one of the relief shelters, people are allowed to keep their animals with them!  I was happily surprised, as I've heard that people shelters usually don't allow pets.  :)

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#72 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:29 AM

I'm on dial-up, so I'll have to view the videos when I wi-fi again.

There are indications that Hurricane Katia could be a fish storm. It will easily reach Catergory 3 status.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#73 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

Starting to hear from people here who are returning to their homes in the two destroyed towns.  They are saying that main street is a 100% loss, many people have completely lost their homes and businesses.  They are calling Irene "New York's Katrina".

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#74 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

^ And when I say "the two destroyed towns", I mean the two where I know people.  I'm sure there are similar stories all over the northeast.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#75 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,075 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

Wow!  I had no idea the damage was this severe.

Thank you for keeping us informed, SFG.

#76 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 01 September 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

They are calling Irene "New York's Katrina".
:(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#77 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

^^And it's even worse in Vermont.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#78 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

According to The Weather Channel, it looks like New England will be getting more rain! Stay safe y'all!

Speaking of Katrina (six years ago this week), TS Lee is slowly organizing in the Gulf of Mexico and is forecast to be a huge rainmaker for SE Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama. State of Emergency already in LA and MS.

Rainfall forecast for New Orleans is 20"-25" over the course of the storm.

New Orleans floods in a regular rainstorm, this could be devastating (again) for areas in the northern Gulf of Mexico.

And no, we're not getting any rain from this one here in Central Texas. But it should rain in Georgia where they are in a mild drought. Louisiana is in a drought too but the part that really needs it may not be getting much of the rain (SW, W side if LA). But Lee should put out that stubborn swamp fire outside New Orleans.

Hurricane Katia still hasn't turned. And the models show it getting closer to the US. Still too far out to know for sure what is going on.

#79 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:25 PM

Oy... New Englanders, stay safe!  When Irene was so mild for my area (comparatively) I thought it was mild for all of the Northeast. It wasn't until a couple of days later that I started seeing the reports of the massive flooding in some areas.  

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#80 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

View Postmichael elizabeth, on 01 September 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

Wow!  I had no idea the damage was this severe.

Thank you for keeping us informed, SFG.
I am working on a multi-part post with many details on the destruction and the recovery efforts in upstate NY*, and I will be posting it soon.  There are so many lives around me that have been affected, and so much here that has been turned upside down.  To make things worse we have had a bunch of rain in the last couple days, and are expecting more.  There was even a tornado further north! :eek:

Tornado Touched Down In Amsterdam, NY

AMSTERDAM, N.Y. (AP) — A tornado that caused property damage near the state capital, Albany, was spawned in a string of violent thunderstorms a week after Tropical Storm Irene brought destructive flooding to the region.

The tornado was about a half-mile wide and on the ground for more than 10 minutes Sunday evening, said Steve DiRienzo, a National Weather Service meteorologist who assessed the damage Monday. Amateur video posted online shows a dark funnel cloud crossing the New York Thruway, where it knocked down trees.

SFG

(*Sorry, I don't have much info on Vermont.)

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 07 September 2011 - 09:33 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Irene, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users