Jump to content


Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Person of Interest: Ghosts

Person of Interest Person of Interest: Season 1

  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:44 AM

Well, I'm afraid I'm already losing interest in this series.  I'm rapidly tiring of the way they play up Reese's ultraviolent tactics but then tack on "Oh, but it's okay, he didn't kill them, just horribly maimed them."  The part with the dump truck was way over-the-top.

And we're starting to get flashbacks about the story behind Finch and the Machine, but so far they aren't really doing more than fleshing out what we were already told in the pilot.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time


Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#2 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

I like a teeny touch of humor even in a dark drama and so far this show isn't giving me anyone to like.  It might become an hour to watch something I've recorded on another night.
Cats will never be extinct!

#3 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Alot of shows restate their premise in their first few eps. so that part didn't bother me, but Finch's problem is mopre than just his leg it looks like his back is in just as bad shape, But I dod like how Reese is building some kind of network to help him, even if he is blackmailing the cop into helping him.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 Cardie

Cardie

    I'm a very *good* tailor

  • Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

There's no way a show with this premise isn't going to get dark, so Reese's increasing violence doesn't bother me. I find Finch a fascinating enough character and enjoy the detective work. I'm not going to worry how these various slimy people are dealt with. We do have the police detective there to speak for due process and I think we will see a lot of questions raised about their methods, just as the Machine raises questions about government surveillance.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,865 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

View PostCardie, on 02 October 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

There's no way a show with this premise isn't going to get dark, so Reese's increasing violence doesn't bother me.

I don't agree.  The premise is about two people who come from dark places but who are trying to do something better with their skills.  So I think it would fit the premise better if Reese were more reluctant to use violence.

Besides, there's a basic credibility issue here.  As I said last week, it's a common lie of TV and movies that shooting people in the limbs is somehow a "safe," reliably nonlethal way to incapacitate them.  And I have a hard time believing that ramming into someone's car with a speeding truck is a surefire nonlethal tactic.  So it's cartoonily implausible for this show to have Reese employ such over-the-top violence and then say "It's okay, it's just a flesh wound."  It badly undermines the show's believability and makes the action seem farcical.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time


Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

View PostChristopher, on 02 October 2011 - 07:58 AM, said:

View PostCardie, on 02 October 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

There's no way a show with this premise isn't going to get dark, so Reese's increasing violence doesn't bother me.

I don't agree.  The premise is about two people who come from dark places but who are trying to do something better with their skills.  So I think it would fit the premise better if Reese were more reluctant to use violence.

Besides, there's a basic credibility issue here.  As I said last week, it's a common lie of TV and movies that shooting people in the limbs is somehow a "safe," reliably nonlethal way to incapacitate them.  And I have a hard time believing that ramming into someone's car with a speeding truck is a surefire nonlethal tactic.  So it's cartoonily implausible for this show to have Reese employ such over-the-top violence and then say "It's okay, it's just a flesh wound."  It badly undermines the show's believability and makes the action seem farcical.

The reason Finch wanted Reese in the first place was that he knew Reese was in the special forces and was more than willing to use violence if he felt he needed to. And it all goes back ot 9/11, both Finch and Reese are connected to that date since they both wanted to do something to counter what happened, rather than just stand around and allow violence to happen to other people.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#7 Cardie

Cardie

    I'm a very *good* tailor

  • Administrator
  • 22,632 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

View PostChristopher, on 02 October 2011 - 07:58 AM, said:


Besides, there's a basic credibility issue here.  As I said last week, it's a common lie of TV and movies that shooting people in the limbs is somehow a "safe," reliably nonlethal way to incapacitate them.  And I have a hard time believing that ramming into someone's car with a speeding truck is a surefire nonlethal tactic.  So it's cartoonily implausible for this show to have Reese employ such over-the-top violence and then say "It's okay, it's just a flesh wound."  It badly undermines the show's believability and makes the action seem farcical.

I agree that's a credibility issue and think that the show would work a lot better on cable. These "non-lethal" acts of potentially lethal violence are just sops to the network to give the protagonists wink-and-nod plausible deniability. Although if the much lighter The Mentalist can give its hero a free pass for shooting someone down in cold blood, I'm surprised they feel the need to resort to these T2 style fictions about shooting people in the leg being morally OK.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#8 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

View PostCardie, on 02 October 2011 - 12:05 PM, said:

View PostChristopher, on 02 October 2011 - 07:58 AM, said:


Besides, there's a basic credibility issue here.  As I said last week, it's a common lie of TV and movies that shooting people in the limbs is somehow a "safe," reliably nonlethal way to incapacitate them.  And I have a hard time believing that ramming into someone's car with a speeding truck is a surefire nonlethal tactic.  So it's cartoonily implausible for this show to have Reese employ such over-the-top violence and then say "It's okay, it's just a flesh wound."  It badly undermines the show's believability and makes the action seem farcical.

I agree that's a credibility issue and think that the show would work a lot better on cable. These "non-lethal" acts of potentially lethal violence are just sops to the network to give the protagonists wink-and-nod plausible deniability. Although if the much lighter The Mentalist can give its hero a free pass for shooting someone down in cold blood, I'm surprised they feel the need to resort to these T2 style fictions about shooting people in the leg being morally OK.

Cardie

This reminds of the talk of the violence on The Equalizer and in a number of ways the two shows are similar in that reguard, but then the lead is dealing violent people which is what he was trained for. It should be noted that the government trained people to use violence and killing to get the job done then just dumped them on society after they no longer needed them. In the '80s had Rambo on one hand and Magnum on the other. Finch found Reese without a job or a future and gave him a purpose, I don't think all of their jobs will require alot of violence, but the show is about Reese saving people's lives.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#9 enTranced

enTranced

    Chasing Your Starlight!

  • Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

I love this show for actually getting into the question of surveillance and privacy in the early 21st century. It does mirror Batman in many ways, especially with the giant Orwell Machine, but they are already going in new ways and I think the subject does better on TV.

enTranced
Posted Image

#10 DWF

DWF

    Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

  • Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

View PostenTranced, on 03 October 2011 - 10:41 AM, said:

I love this show for actually getting into the question of surveillance and privacy in the early 21st century. It does mirror Batman in many ways, especially with the giant Orwell Machine, but they are already going in new ways and I think the subject does better on TV.

enTranced

It's closer to reality than most people think, there's about 2000 cameras in New York all under the watchful eye of a computer and they want another 1000. :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

    Help me save Dark Matter!

  • Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:50 AM

I originally missed the first few episodes of this show, and just caught this episode as a rerun.  I'm really enjoying this show, which is a surprise to me because I usually don't like procedurals.  


It was interesting to get a little backstory on the history of the program.  So Harold started out on the other side of this, believing that knowingly ignoring ordinary crime was worth it in order to keep the program running, and continue stopping terrorists.  He obviously hadn't been injured yet then, so something major happened between then and now to change his mind.  Something that probably also killed that man he was working with.  Wasn't that bust they showed at the end in memory of him?

I really liked the unusual pairing of Harold guarding the girl when the hit man arrived.  He is the intellectual hero not the fighter, and is completely unable to physically defend anyone, even himself.  He can't even run away.  But of course he is better than most at hiding and misdirection, that's what he does.

The name Remy Auberjonois in the credits caught my eye, so I checked and yes, he is the son of René Auberjonois.  He played the bad guy here who was ultimately behind the plot.

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image


Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing



Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Person of Interest, Person of Interest: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users