• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:47 PM

saw it on my cousin John's Facebook status....can't find a full article but yahoo and msnbc's front pages both have a "breaking news" banner header and msnbc this small blurb.  :(

will post article when i find one or hopefully the above link will be updated.

Edited by Cheile, 05 October 2011 - 06:49 PM.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#2 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

We knew his health was in decline, but there was no indication he was near death...this is quite a shock.
Posted Image

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

One link so far that I can find

Apple says former CEO Steve Jobs had died

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=14383813

Edited by Tricia, 05 October 2011 - 07:01 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

http://www.g4tv.com/...teve-jobs-dies/
Posted Image

#5 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

http://kotaku.com/58...e-jobs-has-died

http://kotaku.com/58...-jobs-voicemail

Edited by RommieSG, 05 October 2011 - 07:02 PM.

Posted Image

#6 othkarwise

othkarwise
  • Islander
  • 368 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

I just checked around this house and realized there are 5 Mac computers and notebooks, one IPad2, a couple IPods and several old and new books about Steve Jobs and the Apple Company.  My roommate has talked about Steve Jobs her whole adult life. We are older than he was.  I called her at work to tell her Jobs has passed and she was crushed. She told me it was worse than hearing about her Uncle passing. She has Asperger's Syndrome and she really, really loved Steve Jobs. It's the most emotion I have heard out of her for the passing of any human being.

I think he did get a lot more time than most people with his diagnosis. I'm sure money helped extent his life, but his love for his vision with this company called Apple has to be what gave him several more years than most get with this rare form of pancreatic cancer.

And I can type this out on one of your beautiful 27" desktop computers.

Rest in peace, Steve Jobs.

#7 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

The news hit the end of the local news and NBC broke into programming.  Not a total surprise given his years of health problems and recent resignation as CEO.  

My iMac and 2 Powerbooks, not to mention the old Power Mac 7500 and an iPod, salute you, Mr. Jobs.
Cats will never be extinct!

#8 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

Tribute at apple:
http://www.apple.com/

and click on the picture.

He was only a man, but he had tremendous vision and drive and his computers, gadgets, software have brought much joy into my life. My heart breaks for his family. Much too young to be gone.

#9 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

thank you for the links, all!  i am a little more grateful for my iPod today.

i hope Mr. Tim Cook carries on Jobs' legacy in his memory in a way that would make Jobs proud.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

How ironic that I saw this thread and read this news on my 2001 iBook. :(

23 years ago, at the School Of Visual Arts in New York City, my first computer class was one on desktop publishing. I used Mac SEs & SE/30s.

I bought my first computer-a Mac SE/30-in 1993.

May he rest in peace.

:humble:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 05 October 2011 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#11 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

He was a legend. Rest in peace Steve.

#12 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Obama's touching statement upon hearing the news.

not everyone may like it, but i do.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#13 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

Macs I own:

iBook (2001)
G4 mirror Door
Power PC 8500/G3
Power PC 7200/120
Centris 650
Duo 250
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#14 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

RommieSG, on 05 October 2011 - 06:51 PM, said:

We knew his health was in decline, but there was no indication he was near death...this is quite a shock.

I hate to say this Rommie, but he looked like he was near death's door to me. I could just tell-and I know from experience. Towards the end, he looked like my dad did a few months before he passed away. I've known other people as well near death's door-and you can just tell by the appearance. :(
Posted Image

#15 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

:eek4:  :(  :cry:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#16 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:47 AM

I got my AA in electronics computer technology too soon to go to work for them, but I was one of their early believers.  The guys in my classes were talking about two guys making home computers in a garage, making fun of them, saying stuff like, "who wants a computer in their house?" I was astonished, said, "do you not read Heinlein?"  

He will be truly missed.  

Rest in peace.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#17 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

While looking for my inspirational quote of the day I heard them quote something he had once said that was profound and went looking for it....and found this instead...

I want to put a ding in the universe--Steve Jobs

Well, he certainly made his mark on our universe.  

Rest in peace, Steve Jobs.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#18 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

The Westboro dingbats have already promised to picket his funeral - but when they tweeted it they left the Irony on this morning (commentary added by me)

#19 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

D, on 06 October 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

The Westboro dingbats have already promised to picket his funeral - but when they tweeted it they left the Irony on this morning (commentary added by me)

Love it!!!

And this from the Obama statement:   And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.
Cats will never be extinct!

#20 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

Themis, on 06 October 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

D, on 06 October 2011 - 09:19 AM, said:

Love it!!!

And this from the Obama statement:   And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.
Obama gets it. As usual, Westboro remains clueless.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Steve Jobs, Apple Inc.2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users