No replies to this topic

#1 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

http://www.scienceda...11003151819.htm

"Mice with the deletion acted completely different from normal mice," explains Guy Horev, a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Mills laboratory and first author of the study. These mice had a number of behaviors characteristic of autism: hyperactivity, difficulty adapting to a new environment, sleeping deficits, and restricted, repetitive behaviors.

Interestingly, mice that had been engineered to carry an extra copy, or duplication, of the 16p11.2 region did not have these characteristics, but instead, had the reciprocal behaviors. For each behavior, the deletion had a more dire consequence than the duplication, indicating that gene loss was more severe. This might explain why 16p11.2 duplications are detected much more frequently than deletions within the human population, and why patients with 16p11.2 deletions tend to be diagnosed earlier than those with duplications.

The mouse models also revealed a potential link between 16p11.2 deletion and survival, as about half the mice died following birth. Whether these findings extend to the human population might be answered by future studies that investigate the link between this deletion and unexplained cases of infant death.

What I find interesting is the possibility that there's an explanation for SIDS, a connection.
I suppose many sets of parents would have to consent to blood acquisition of their SIDS infants to corroborate this.

Anyway.  Just mice so far.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Health, Autism, Medical Research, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users