Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Person of Interest, and my thoughts ....

Person of Interest Person of Interest: Season 1

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

OK, so I finally caught most of this week's (10/13) program.

There were some nice touches.  The idea that the victim of the projected crime could well be someone who had it coming was interesting; as was the whole way that the operative chose to intervene.  That final scene when you know that comuppance is nigh was very effective.

The side plot with the corrupt cop and the cartel was entertaining.  Especially the cop's expression when he witnesses the operative turning the tables on the local chapter of the cartel.

The through story of the detective's continued investigation of a bank robbery(?) is kind of interesting.  Especially now when the analyst has aroused her suspicions.  I'm still not sure about the operative's solution to the Detective.

So, all in all, not a particularly painful, nor boring, way to spend an hour.

OTOH, the analyst, operative, and detective still strike me as colorless individuals.  With both the chief protagonists being so closed, it is hard to warm up to them; and given the lack of camaraderie between these two apparent loners, they don't feel like a team.  In fact, it strikes me that the most sympathetic character is the corrupt cop who's trapped under the operative's thumb.

The costumes and scenary still appear to be leeched of color, perhaps indicating the gray world that our heroes inhabit.

There is no glamour here, as we're being brought into the lives of everyday people; and with the cinematography being handled in an understated manner, there's nothing that particularly makes this show *pop*

That said, it does engage in some interesting intellectual exercises ... consequently, I'd be surprised if this program actually found a substantive enough audience to see it through this season (if not more).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

View PostG-man, on 14 October 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

That said, it does engage in some interesting intellectual exercises ... consequently, I'd be surprised if this program actually found a substantive enough audience to see it through this season (if not more).

It's actually doing pretty well, with 11 million viewers and a 2.7 in the demo this week, although it was still beaten by The X-Factor and Grey's Anatomy. Just FYI, the "operative" is called John Reese, the "analyst" Harold Finch (although both of these names are aliases), the pursuing detective is Carter and the corrupt cop Fusco.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

^^^ Thanks for that, Cardie.

It normally takes me a few episodes to sort out the character's names.  As I said, I caught most of the episode, but did miss like the first five-to-ten minutes ....

So, what do you think of this show?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

^^I like it and view it primarily the way you do. My thoughts are in the two episode threads Christopher started. You can find them both pretty easily by scrolling down the forum index page.

Cardie

#5 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Watch last week's episode! The ending! Holy crap the ending was amazing. It was The Dark Knight for TV it was just this perfect discussion on good and evil, certainly the best discussion I have seen on a TV show.

Help me make a good decision.

*shudder*

enTranced
Posted Image

#6 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

This show is clearly challenging my suspension of disbelief. Yeah, I get that it's partly science fiction, and I also know that I watch many shows that are much more unrealistic than this one. But still.

The way Reese and Finch just break into offices, easily plant bugs here and there, hack into every computers, find evidence and are always a few steps ahead of the police, it just feels like too much. This, paired with Reese's arrogant holier-than-thou-attitude towards anyone that doesn't do what he tells them is just starting to get on my nerves. He constantly looks like he's having a blast taunting bad guys, threatening them, like a man with a God complex who thinks he somehow gets the right to punish people himself, and really seems to relish in it.

Sorry, enTranced, but that discussion at the end of last week's episode, I didn't like it at all. To me, it felt like Reese holding court over the guy's life, whether he should just kill him or give him another chance to live. That's not Reese's right in my book. He doesn't get to decide whether someone lives or dies, or even making someone beg for his life at Reese's mercy. It's this kind of God-like attitude I simply can't accept in my fictional heroes. I can if they are biased, constantly questioning their own motives and actions in their quest for justice. But with Reese, I get the feeling that he is immensely enjoying this kind of power over others, with the special forces training and the resources he has backing him. And that appalls me.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

View PostLambsilencer, on 21 October 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

He constantly looks like he's having a blast taunting bad guys, threatening them, like a man with a God complex who thinks he somehow gets the right to punish people himself, and really seems to relish in it.

He probably got the God complex from starring in "The Passion of the Christ" and wants to give as good as he got in that sadomasochistic mess. You know, Jesus II: He rose to Punish. :)

Cardie

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

My suspension-of-disbelief problem lies with the fanciful portrayal of gunshot wounds.  I've already remarked about its dependence on the cliche that Reese is being "nonlethal" by shooting people in the legs (nonsense -- if he hits the femoral artery, death from blood loss could occur within moments), and this week we saw it goes the other way too -- Reese got shot in the shoulder and, while he was temporarily incapacitated by it, he showed no subsequent impairment.  It's a cartoony approach to violence that's tough to reconcile with the gritty tone the show is trying for.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#9 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

You know, my take on the ending was that Reese was offering the guy a choice between taking his own life, or having Reese kill him either "in self-defense" or "while he tried to escape".  There was no way that guy was leaving that place alive.

As for his dealings with Fusco, did feel like an operative's handling of a balky asset -- IOW, something totally consistent with the spy game from which Reese and Finch had graduated.  That Reese had scouted the Cartel to the extent that he got the goods on them, and then also possessed the means of dealing them mano-a-mano despite being tied up to a chair, just demonstrates how ... thorough this guy is, especially in keeping an Asset in line.

But, yeah, this program is one that I may tune in if it happens to be on, but it isn't on my must see list.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#10 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

View PostLambsilencer, on 21 October 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

Sorry, enTranced, but that discussion at the end of last week's episode, I didn't like it at all. To me, it felt like Reese holding court over the guy's life, whether he should just kill him or give him another chance to live. That's not Reese's right in my book. He doesn't get to decide whether someone lives or dies, or even making someone beg for his life at Reese's mercy. It's this kind of God-like attitude I simply can't accept in my fictional heroes. I can if they are biased, constantly questioning their own motives and actions in their quest for justice. But with Reese, I get the feeling that he is immensely enjoying this kind of power over others, with the special forces training and the resources he has backing him. And that appalls me.

Greets
Lambsilencer

But you seem to be suggesting that we should be rooting for Reese and Finch. These guys are broken beings that are trying to redeem themselves. They try to do good but are they really? I think constantly going back to the police detective, is a clue. She is the hero on the show. Reese and Finch do good things but are they the good guys? That is the question.

And I loved the heck out of that ending.

enTranced
Posted Image

#11 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

OK, but then again, the focus of the show is so much on Reese that I have a hard time identifying with any other character than him. He is clearly made out as a hero by helping the people that the machine points to.

And what Christopher said. The whole thing with bullet wounds inflicting no real damage on people is getting ridiculous. The fight scene in the latest episode where Reese took out four guy, crashed them into car windows and onto the pavement is a great example. After the main baddie shoots Reese in the shoulder (don't even ask how he could pull that gun so fast; he was flying head-first into a car, then, in a split second, turned around, gun ready, and shot Reese - yeah, right…) the other guys, albeit badly beaten up by a special forces guy, quickly get up and run to the car to get away.
And Reese later didn't really seem to have any problems moving around, even though someone shot him just a few hours earlier.

It's just all a bit much to take. I'll give the show a chance to find its footing, but it went downhill for me with the last two episodes, after a promising start. But one thing is clear: Reese needs an attitude adjustment. The road to redemption might be a rocky path, but he could at least try not to be so smug about his God complex.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#12 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:17 PM

Double post… :/

Edited by Lambsilencer, 23 October 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#13 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

View PostLambsilencer, on 22 October 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

OK, but then again, the focus of the show is so much on Reese that I have a hard time identifying with any other character than him. He is clearly made out as a hero by helping the people that the machine points to.

And what Christopher said. The whole thing with bullet wounds inflicting no real damage on people is getting ridiculous. The fight scene in the latest episode where Reese took out four guy, crashed them into car windows and onto the pavement is a great example. After the main baddie shoots Reese in the shoulder (don't even ask how he could pull that gun so fast; he was flying head-first into a car, then, in a split second, turned around, gun ready, and shot Reese - yeah, right…) the other guys, albeit badly beaten up by a special forces guy, quickly get up and run to the car to get away.
And Reese later didn't really seem to have any problems moving around, even though someone shot him just a few hours earlier.

It's just all a bit much to take. I'll give the show a chance to find its footing, but it went downhill for me with the last two episodes, after a promising start. But one thing is clear: Reese needs an attitude adjustment. The road to redemption might be a rocky path, but he could at least try not to be so smug about his God complex.

Greets
Lambsilencer

You and Christopher must've missed seeing Mannix then. ;)
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#14 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

Despite the grimness of the show I do think in the end it's about hope and building a better tomorrow, Reese and Finch are trying to do good in the end. The show though is turing Reese into some kind of urban legend just like The Equalizer before it, but then the two shows are similar in that fashion.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#15 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

View PostChristopher, on 21 October 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

My suspension-of-disbelief problem lies with the fanciful portrayal of gunshot wounds.  I've already remarked about its dependence on the cliche that Reese is being "nonlethal" by shooting people in the legs (nonsense -- if he hits the femoral artery, death from blood loss could occur within moments), and this week we saw it goes the other way too -- Reese got shot in the shoulder and, while he was temporarily incapacitated by it, he showed no subsequent impairment.  It's a cartoony approach to violence that's tough to reconcile with the gritty tone the show is trying for.

This is true though it is an accepted convention in films and TV that characters bounce back from nonlethal gunshot wounds to the arms or legs with no consequences when in reality they would be facing months or years of rehab.  I've just had total shoulder replacement surgery so I feel eminently qualified to speak to that point!  That said, PoI is basically a variation on Nolan's Batman minus tights and cape so a bit of handwaving on the consequences of violence both received and doled out does seem like par for the course.  The sorts of injuries Batman sustains in the Nolan films surely would result in lasting, debilitating conditions like rotator cuff tears and slipped discs, but this being Batman, I was just pleased to see them suggest that he pops pain pills like candy.  (I wonder if lasting injury might be dealt with in the new film, though, given that Bane is in the mix.)

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Person of Interest, Person of Interest: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users