• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#1 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

Too many of the Occupy movement intentionally want to clash with police and the gainfully employed, too many pridefully create filth, too many glibly tout communist and anarchist nonsense, and now this:

http://articles.balt...e-report-crimes

The message of anger at the banking industry and accountablity are understandable- but the actual participation has gone from laughable to ugly and now- condemnable.

Edited by Certifiably Cait, 26 October 2011 - 02:10 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#2 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

There is a lot of stupid stuff going on, it's just white-noise unless of course you want to focus on it for some reason :) The signal to noise ratio of the movement is better, or at very least no worse than any other movement I've seen.

#3 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

Gee I dunno - Tea Partys didn't feel the need to issue internal memos to keep rape victims in-house.

So, "stupid stuff" round-up:
http://www.humaneven...le.php?id=47000

It's worse.

It'd be easy to predict by the way, what the reaction would be if, say, a catholic bishop wrote that rape report memo to the flock.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 20 October 2011 - 11:13 AM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#4 psycaz

psycaz
  • Islander
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

View PostHambil, on 20 October 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:

There is a lot of stupid stuff going on, it's just white-noise unless of course you want to focus on it for some reason :) The signal to noise ratio of the movement is better, or at very least no worse than any other movement I've seen.

HUH?

Women being raped is "white-noise"?
Those women who are raped being instructed to report to the "security commision" instead of the proper authorities is "white-noise"?

What exactly is this "security commision" going to do with a reported rape? THEY AREN'T THE POLICE!!!

They are going to play police, judge, jury and carry out the sentences?

Anyone really think these security commission is going to even report this stuff to the proper authorities? Why, it might bring bad press. The women will get over it with counseling seems to be the answer they will use.

#5 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

Filth and violence?  Didn't see any of that in the article.  Saw this though:

The directive also says, in part, "Though we do not encourage the involvement of the police in our community, the survivor has every right, and the support of Occupy Baltimore, to report the abuse to the appropriate authorities."

I agree that rape should be reported and the memo is very naive but "filth" and "violence" cool your rhetoric or
be perceived as having an agenda.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#6 psycaz

psycaz
  • Islander
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

View PostBalderdash, on 20 October 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

The directive also says, in part, "Though we do not encourage the involvement of the police in our community, the survivor has every right, and the support of Occupy Baltimore, to report the abuse to the appropriate authorities."

I agree that rape should be reported and the memo is very naive but "filth" and "violence" cool your rhetoric or

Rape isn't considered violent?

And I would consider any type of "leadership" that doesn't condone involvement of the police in the case of a violent attack of someone as 'Filth"...

#7 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

The filth is all over the news - like this Guy Fawke hero:
Posted Image

Protesters should get Shepard Fairey to put that on the Movement flag.  :bigsmile:

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#8 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

View Postpsycaz, on 20 October 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

View PostBalderdash, on 20 October 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

Rape isn't considered violent?

And I would consider any type of "leadership" that doesn't condone involvement of the police in the case of a violent attack of someone as 'Filth"...

After reading the entire article "filth and violence" is over the top rhetoric.  I'm a woman,
I don't need you or anyone to explain rape to me.  I have a very conservative lean on what should
happened to rapists.   :sarcasm:

Occupy Movement filth and violence hard to ignore

That title does not reflect what was in the memo or the article.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

#9 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you want to ignore my previous round up - here's another link to consider: http://www.infowars....ocate-violence/
And more ... http://dailycaller.c...and-shoot-them/
Aaaand more: http://pajamasmedia....ieve-our-goals/
Aaaaaand more: http://blog.heritage...ce-lawlessness/
http://biggovernment...-sex-offenders/

Teachers choked, sex offenders roaming about, crapping on police cars, exposing y'self, public sex acts ... Filth.  Violence.  That's what it's called.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 20 October 2011 - 12:03 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#10 T. Lloyd

T. Lloyd

Tanner Lloyd

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

I agree with Balderdash.  The Occupy Movement is not organized like the Tea Party was.  In any such movement, you can expect a minority of people to behave destructively, but that doesn't mean you have to condemn the entire thing.  In Egypt, a group Anti-Mubarak protesters raped a journalist, Lara Logan.  Does that mean we must automatically condemn their entire movement? No. Of course not.  In the case of the Occupy Movement, they're a minority who are condemned by the majority of the protesters.  Don't try and spin this like they're all dirty, violent, hippie communists, that's just not the fact of it.  You have airline pilots, iraq and afghanistan veterans, mothers, fathers, grandparents, you name it.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -Carl Sagan

#11 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

It's getting harder and harder to dismiss - it's far too many and too pervasive.  And the communist and anarchists are speaking at these gatherings as well.  They're not just the fringe.  And now we have these disturbing directives to keep law and order from victims, and official calls for violence from their speakers.  C'mon.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 20 October 2011 - 12:11 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#12 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

View PostNittany Lioness, on 20 October 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you want to ignore my previous round up - here's another link to consider: http://www.infowars....ocate-violence/
And more ... http://dailycaller.c...and-shoot-them/
Aaaand more: http://pajamasmedia....ieve-our-goals/
Aaaaaand more: http://blog.heritage...ce-lawlessness/

Did you read your own articles?  The violence talked about in your first link is from the Government
to the protesters.  So, I'm not bothering with the other links.

And as for "filth" I see bagged up trash in one picture and protesters stuff in the others, I don't see
any "filth.".  And I'm so glad that that gay guy decided to add fodder to your agenda, dumbass (gay guy
being the dumbass).

#13 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Bwahaha.  You completely missed the hypocrisy being pointed out regarding protestors supporting the idea of forced violence to redistribute wealth.  READ it.

:lol:

And hey - maybe you find defecating in the streets, and living amongst filth hunky dory - I think they're intentionally trashing cities. Tea partiers left assembled places cleaner than they found them.  And didn't assault people, didn't expose themselves, and didn't call for violence, and call to keep rapes under wraps.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 20 October 2011 - 12:22 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#14 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

Tea-Party violence
Republican violence

#15 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

Again, Bwah.
This is what your pointing to?    Oh, yes, violent Tea Partiers!  Thanks for that illuminating juxtaposition, furthering my point.

Meanwhile, the n-word at congressmen was a convenient lie.  And NRA type signs are awful, but how many were actually arrested for violence and the speakers and thrust of the movement is not advocating such, unlike the shift of the Occupiers.  The tea party focused and got elected, trying to change things from the inside.  They don't embrace anarchy. Overseas occupiers' violence is piling up, although they're accustomed to going for the violent rabble tack since the thought of no pension at 42 sounds like a real buzzkill.

Edited by Nittany Lioness, 20 October 2011 - 12:48 PM.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#16 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

Really? I must have missed where they advocated raping people. Look, I don't agree with the police 'gag order' being passed by many GAs, but I believe in the core of the movement and that the people really driving this understand the power of non-violent protest and social media. Things like Occupy George give me great hope.

#17 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

Didn't say that.  They advocate anarchy and violent takeover, and killing parents ... or sumpin'.:sarcasm:

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#18 psycaz

psycaz
  • Islander
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:50 PM

View PostHambil, on 20 October 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

Really? I must have missed where they advocated raping people. Look, I don't agree with the police 'gag order' being passed by many GAs, but I believe in the core of the movement and that the people really driving this understand the power of non-violent protest and social media. Things like Occupy George give me great hope.

Do you think telling women to NOT report a rape is going to discourage a rapist from committing the crime or encourage it? Putting out that memo is going to do which for a rapist - encourage or discourage.

The organizers have ZERO authority to do anything legally if they found out about a rape. Only thing they are going to do is HURT any investigation that the real police could do.

#19 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

If one focuses on finding the bad things because they do not like what the people are saying, what they are drawing some attention to or just because it annoys someone, they will find it.  

What group of people is not going to have a few individuals in their midst who act wrong and inappropriately, carry a sign that is offensive, etc? And the negative always gets the most tv time or pics as if it symbolized the whole.  Because the negative is what sells newspapers and gets the ratings.

Amazing that nowhere do I see mention of those Occupy groups that are out sweeping up after themselves after a rally and are keeping the parks they are camping in as neat as possible when you have a large group of people in one place.  You know why? Because that does not sell and does not play into the story some want to tell.  BTW the Occupy movements that friends and family are involved with do have Cleaning Committees too.

There were negative reports on the Tea Party back in the day...like spitting on elected officials.  I never considered those individuals representative of the movement as a whole because there are always a few bad apples in every bunch who do and say stupid things.

As to the memo about rape and reporting  it....that is ONE group. Not the whole movement.  Using the actions of the few to define the whole is always wrong.  Rape should always be reported to the police with the Security Committee as a second reporting spot as they are, well, security for the movement so they need to know also.

That's all I have to say on the subject as I just refuse to characterize an entire group by the actions and words  of a few individuals (few in relation to the entirety of the group)

Edited by Tricia, 20 October 2011 - 12:56 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#20 psycaz

psycaz
  • Islander
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

When those that refer to themselves as security for the whole do something, that is reflective of the whole.

Want to say that it's not reflective of all the Occupy sites, fine. Want to say it's not reflective of that particular cities site, I'll disagree with that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Occupy Wall Street, OWS, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users