• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

The real Occupy Wall Street

In fact, one of the first things I noticed was a sign posted on a wall that embraced "Kingian Nonviolence," the peaceful principles that guided Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've lived in New York City for 10 years, but I'd never been to Zuccotti Park until the Occupy Wall Street protests took place. I assumed the protesters were camped out at a park somewhere at the end of Wall Street, throwing around garbage and creating a mess.

Once again, I was wrong.

First, the group was clean, neat and orderly when I saw them. The park was actually cleaner than any park I've ever seen in New York City. Some demonstrators even walked around with brooms to clean up any mess that might have been left, and signs were posted advising the occupiers to observe a "good neighbor policy."

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#2 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:54 AM

Maybe this got missed or lost in the shuffle but it's important that some actual
truth be told about this movement.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Sorry I must have  missed this.

I know that the Occupy Houston camp is clean.  I've seen it for myself while donating time and goods to them....including the dustpans and brooms requested on their FB page.

I'm tired of the attention paid only to the bad elements...every group has bad apples amongst them and those hooligans etc are the exception rather than the rule.

Maybe they should talk to more of the real people, not just the loudest ones.  

edited to add---you have to listen to the hateful media pundit talk first before it gets to the real people and their stories.

Edited by Tricia, 26 October 2011 - 01:09 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Occupy Wall Street, OWS, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users