offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:52 PM

One young adult student with his load /debt situation, and the flack he gets,
a focus spotlight on one person in the occupy crowd,
http://www.latimes.c...0,7388368.story

but I do think he's a bit naive, c'mon, not just students in a profit fix, but really everything EVERYwhere is for profit, any loan, any food, any roof, any car, hell even bus , nothing's free in a free market world yeah?

and read the students, younger ones, joining in the occupy stuff , photo link on left side,

oh and feel free to post other 'one guy in the crowd' type occupy thing, students, housewife/mommy,
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#2 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,184 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

How about pets?

Attached File  occupy_wall_street_dog_protestors_640_11.jpg   38.98K   2 downloads

#3 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

ehhhhnn, pets are hard to count, because hey do they really think properly for themselves?

http://www.guzer.com...s/cat_glass.php
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#4 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

http://www.chicagotr...0,7564955.story

If the rising cost of tuition is the scandal, he should be protesting at the college campus.  The american taxpayer shouldn't have to bail out anymore.

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#5 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:11 AM

Here's an analysis of Obama's relief idea for student loans btw - note the updated points at the end, but still a decent critque:

"The monthly impact of the president's new effort for most Americans paying off college debt will be between $4 and $8":

http://www.theatlant...a-month/247411/

I'm cold Howard.jpg

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

Strangers have harangued him: "Get a job, you commie."
Wouldn't it be cool if those strangers who harangued him became the next ones to lose their jobs?  And then got to discover why so many people are out of work when they find that they can't find other jobs themselves?  Rough justice.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

It's not like this kid just made it up. He probably read a history book.

http://en.wikipedia....ht_to_education

#8 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

He is either one dumb ---- or running a scam. We don't know his financial background.

No more free beer!

Julianus - fed up with the gimme class

#9 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

You guys are completely missing the point. The cost of tuition has been 'way out of hand for a long time now, and student debt is absolutely crushing in many cases.

Education is a right, not a privilege, and much needs to be done to make it more accessible, otherwise we go back to the bad old days when only the rich could afford to educate their kiddies.

The "occupy" movement is about the destruction of the middle class and the growing divide between the have' and the have-not's. Capiche?
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#10 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

There are two main problems with student loan debt IMHO.

1.  Students going after 'shiny' schools or degrees without too much thought, which may or may not involve thinking about how much a five-digit debt really is.  They may also think and/or have been told they 'need' to get a bachelor's degree from a four-year institution.  For these people, I recommend community/junior colleges, which have a reputation of being cheaper and having smaller classes with more accessible faculty.  I certainly found it so.

2.  Tuition costs are bananas.  And, as far as I know, tax-related breaks for tuition costs have not risen to account for this.  (I'll gladly be corrected on this, as I was shocked by the cap of $4000 when I did my federal taxes this year.)  I give you two examples which are admittedly anecdotal as you'll have to trust my memory:

2a. When I graduated high school (before 2000 but not by much) the annual tuition + room and board at the university closest to me was $6000 per year or something like that.  This year, I have seen it estimated at $20000.  A private four-year school in the adjacent metropolitan area had annual tuition + room and board costs of $27000.  The gap between public and private schools was once MUCH greater--I think private schools were 3-4 times the cost of public when I graduated high school.  So, would someone like to explain how parents could have planned for this, if they were able and/or willing to assist their child(ren) with tuition costs, or how a student is supposed to pay their own way without engaging in some risky ventures, taking forever to finish their degree, or racking up quite a lot of debt?  (I say this as a person who did about 70% of what I could have done to minimize my student debt.  I do still have some from two years at a school where I decided to leave and change my major.)

2b.  I recently attended a public university that in the budget freakout of spring 2009 opted to raise undergrad tuition by 14% for 2009-2010.  And the year after that.  And this spring they opted to do the same thing again for the next two years.  I haven't the faintest idea what their undergrad in-state tuition rates were for 2008-2009--actually, let me look it up.  $150-$160/credit hour* in 2008.  Someone do the math for people who started in 2008 and will finish this year, or next year. :Oo:  (Yes, I fail at calculating this sort of thing.)

And a non-anecdotal from a large public university, which is provided by the institution in question (and which I have attended, so I am not providing a link: mods/admins, if you need one, please PM me).  In spoiler tags to spare scroll space.

Spoiler

Someone not me can if they so desire comment on how those tuition changes were driven by inflation.  I am fairly certain, however, that it does not come out to the inflation rate over the same time period, unless the dollar has been cheapened far more than I think it has.  Someone with a better handle on historical salaries in the US may also comment on how costs per credit hour (and consequent costs per year, assuming full-time enrollment) compare against expected income after graduation over that time period.

... I wrote all this before reading Nittany's link, which has points similar to mine.  Hope I didn't bore anyone.  Please do look at the tuition history in the spoiler tags--I'm aware of the changes at that school, and it still boggled my mind.

*ETA2: Ack, my bad.  The school in 2b is on the quarter system.  I believe the conversion would place it at $210-230/credit hour for the semester system.

Edited by Anakam, 28 October 2011 - 09:39 AM.

#11 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:37 PM

When I graduated from high school in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Douglas College was around $125 per semester, UBC was around $400 per semester. A minimum-wage job in those days paid $2.10 per hour, or $16.80 per day, or $470.40 per month. Minus taxes and you were left with around $410 per month.

As a kid living at home, I easily paid for my own university education, with plenty of money to spare. Some friends of mine even lived on campus (Caribou House at UBC) and owned their own cars, and needed no help from their parents. I could easily have bought a car, but being a cheap bugger, preferred the bus, which in those days was 25 cents.

Today, in Saskatoon (the closest university to where I now live), the average course costs $600. A full 23-credit slate of courses per semester costs around $15,000, and that's not including the cost of supplies, accommodation, transportation, amenities, and so on. Today's minimum wage in Saskatchewan is $10 per hour, or $80 per day, or $2240 per month. Minus taxes and you'd be left with around $1750 per month. A year's net earnings would be around $16,000.

Today, were a kid to do it all on their own, while living at home, it would take two years of working at a minimum-wage job to pay for one year of university. This means a 4-year BA will take 8 years, and a 4-year BA with a year of teacher training will take 10 years.

Which is precisely why we're seeing 28-year-old and older graduates these days.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#12 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 27 October 2011 - 11:37 PM, said:

Today, were a kid to do it all on their own, while living at home, it would take two years of working at a minimum-wage job to pay for one year of university. This means a 4-year BA will take 8 years, and a 4-year BA with a year of teacher training will take 10 years.

*nods*

This is basically what happened to me when I went back to school.  I worked--part time but above min wage--for 2 years and change, then went back to school part time.  I realized at the start of the second year I was going to run out of money partway through the year (and yes, I was 'mooching' off my parents by living with them :p ) and actually had to take advantage of the FAFSA and anything it spat back out at me.  I would say I shouldn't have bought myself the laptop the year before I went back, except that if I hadn't, I would have run out of money right before field camp, which had substantial fees, and had no reaction time to deal with the situation.

So yes.  Take a long time, get quite a lot of debt, or split between a junior college and university.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Occupy Wall Street, OWS, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users