30 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

Spoilers

Regina does everything in her power to force Emma out of Storybrooke and out of her and Henry's lives forever. Meanwhile, the chilling circumstances of how the Evil Queen released the curse upon the fairytale world is revealed.

The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

I'm really not sure if I'm going to keep watching this.  I'm a little curious about where some aspects of the story are going, but a lot of this episode was highly predictable, and most of the cast just isn't impressing me -- especially Lana Parilla as the evil queen/mayor.  She's just too bland for such a pivotal role.  (And is it me, or did the bearded sheriff have a totally different accent this week than he had last week?)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

I wondered about the accent thing with the Sheriff...but I was really wondering more who he was supposed to be ...in the Fairytale world, I mean.

Until he said it I did not realize that the man in the flashback was the Queen's father...only that he was rthe only one who cared for her.  Not sure if I missed that earlier or it was not said until then.  But now we know how Henry got his name.

They did clear up one major thing for me.  I just thought that Regina/Evil Queen knew who Emma really is and that Henry was her son...and that she had deliberately adopted him to trap Emma somehow.  

To find out it was all arranged by Mr. Gold and that he was the mastermind behind the spell...okay this is a new take on Rumplestilskin from what I remember.  Loved his touch that she could refuse him nothing if he said "please"

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 Psykopsyke

Psykopsyke
  • Islander
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:35 AM

I thought the sheriff was British.  Lana Parilla is not very good.  Jessica Walters, if she was younger, would have been great. Remember what she did in "Dr. Strange?"

#5 Psykopsyke

Psykopsyke
  • Islander
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

Is it just me or is Lana Parilla the best looking woman on this show?  To quote Cole Train from Gears of War 2, "Isn't she suppose to be butt ugly?"

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

View PostTricia, on 30 October 2011 - 09:04 PM, said:

I wondered about the accent thing with the Sheriff...but I was really wondering more who he was supposed to be ...in the Fairytale world, I mean.

My guess is the huntsman from "Little Red Riding Hood."

Until he said it I did not realize that the man in the flashback was the Queen's father...only that he was rthe only one who cared for her.  Not sure if I missed that earlier or it was not said until then.

Well, neither of those was said outright, but we did see earlier that he was the only one she trusted and they had kind of a warm relationship (by evil queen/minion standards), so I guessed he was the one she'd have to sacrifice.

To find out it was all arranged by Mr. Gold and that he was the mastermind behind the spell...okay this is a new take on Rumplestilskin from what I remember.  Loved his touch that she could refuse him nothing if he said "please"

That was kind of interesting.  It suggests that Rumpelstiltskin/Gold remembers who he really is and arranged the adoption in order to set the undoing of the curse in motion.

View PostPsykopsyke, on 31 October 2011 - 12:35 AM, said:

I thought the sheriff was British.

He's played by Belfast native Jamie Dornan, so I guess the accent he used here was Irish.  But last week I thought it sounded more English.

View PostPsykopsyke, on 31 October 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

Is it just me or is Lana Parilla the best looking woman on this show?  To quote Cole Train from Gears of War 2, "Isn't she suppose to be butt ugly?"

No, the queen in Snow White is supposed to be beautiful and very vain about it, constantly needing reassurance from her mirror that she's the fairest in the land.  It's only when Snow White comes along and turns out to be even more beautiful that the queen sets out to destroy her, since she can't tolerate a rival.  The story only makes sense if the Queen is the second-most beautiful character in it.  (By whatever standards of beauty the mirror is using.)

Which is where the casting fails, because Ginnifer Goodwin is not really that beautiful.  She's close, tending toward a pixieish Nicole de Boer kind of look, but doesn't quite make it.  And no, I don't think Parilla's that good-looking either.  Jennifer Morrison is the most striking woman in the cast.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

Well the question was "fairest." Maybe the mirror took her literally, since I don't think mirrors are judges of beauty... Snow White is quite pale.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

View PostChristopher, on 31 October 2011 - 08:12 AM, said:

Which is where the casting fails, because Ginnifer Goodwin is not really that beautiful.  She's close, tending toward a pixieish Nicole de Boer kind of look, but doesn't quite make it.  And no, I don't think Parilla's that good-looking either.  Jennifer Morrison is the most striking woman in the cast.

Ginnifer Goodwin with longer hair, I think is very pretty...just don't like the pixie cut she sports as Sister Mary Margaret. :unsure:

I figured out that the sacrifice would be the man we had met earlier who she seemed to care for and trust...just not the real relationship between them until she said it.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#9 Psykopsyke

Psykopsyke
  • Islander
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

Ginnifer looks better with longer hair. Short hair is not for everyone, for instance Morena Baccarin looks good with short hair.

#10 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

Once Upon a Time is very lucky to have Robert Caryle. His Mr. Gold/Rumplestiltskin is the best character on the show and a case can be made that he is just the best actor on the show period.

I think the flashbacks to the fantasy world are the best parts of the show, the "reality" portion is far less interesting. When the show gets to cut loose with a sequence like the magical duel is when I am loving the show.

I was a little disappointed with the magical mirror becoming a reporter. That's....dull and 20th century thinking. What is the one single source of information and answers we all use in 2011? The INTERNET YOU FOOLS! The Magical Mirror should be a face on every computer/cell phone/ handheld in town! I mean why would Mirror have a body in our world anyway? He doesn't have one in the fantasy world. *sigh*

enTranced

Edited by enTranced, 31 October 2011 - 02:22 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Psykopsyke

Psykopsyke
  • Islander
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:49 PM

View PostenTranced, on 31 October 2011 - 11:14 AM, said:

Once Upon a Time is very lucky to have Robert Caryle. His Mr. Gold/Rumplestiltskin is the best character on the show and a case can be made that he is just the best actor on the show period.

I think the flashbacks to the fantasy world are the bets parts of the show, the "reality" portion is far less interesting. When the show gets to cut loose with a sequence like the magical duel is when I am loving the show.

I was a little disappointed with the magical mirror becoming a reporter. That's....dull and 20th century thinking. What is the one single source of information and answers we all use in 2011? The INTERNET YOU FOOLS! The Magical Mirror should be a face on every computer/cell phone/ handheld in town! I mean why would Mirror have a body in our world anyway? He doesn't have one in the fantasy world. *sigh*

enTranced

You know, I always thought the best part of Forever Knight were the flashbacks.

#12 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:54 PM

About the magic Mirror now having a body--

I wondered about that too but I think that since the Internet was not around back when the curse was made and time frozen for them*, that he was given a body.  Not sure why and maybe they'll cover that.  But newspapers have been around forever...okay, not forever  :rolleyes:  but long enough.  But I'm sure they could have had him become an Internet presence even though he has a body now.

The fantasy world flashbacks are indeed the best part....though I really liked Emma taking a chainsaw to Regina/Evil Queen's apple tree this week.

*I really thought they had been transported through time not frozen but after this episode it sounds like frozen in time as far as aging is what it is.  Still not sure about where all the kids at the school came from or what happens when they grow up.  :unsure:

Edited by Tricia, 31 October 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

I adored every single thing about this episode.  The Wicked Queen/Malifecent smack down was a fairy tale lover/Disney lover fangasm inducing bit of AWESOME.  My Mom and I have had a running debate about who is more evil: the queen (Mom's pick) or Milifecent (me).  Mom wins.  I think pixie Snow White is MUCH cuter than cliche longhair fairy tale Snow White.  LOVE LOVE LOVE Rumplestiltskin.  Soon, however, Emma's going to have to get one of the Storybrooke denizens (other than the meek school teacher) to stand up to the Mayor because we're at stretching point on credulity on how Emma hasn't been slammed out of town yet...
Posted Image

#14 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Liked this very much, especially the opening montage with everyone reacting to the clock restarting.  That was very effective, much moreso than the opening of the first post-pilot episode of any series can usually achieve... at least, with me...  but maybe the reason it worked so well for me is that they're not really asking me to care so much so soon about new characters, but rather about new iterations of characters who are already near and dear.  The bit where Snow and Emma compare notes was lovely.  

Kristen Bauer -- fantastic as Malificent.  Can't wait for her debut in Storybrooke, but recurring just won't cut it.  She needs to be a regular.

And obviously Robert Carlyle is delicious... at least when he's Mr. Gold.  It's hard for me to swallow Begbie the psychotic soccer hooligan from Trainspotting as a fairy tale character, even an evil one.      

The fun of the show isn't just ID'ing which fairy tale characters the townsfolk are (and how their respective archetypes influence their decisions, e.g., the shrink spouting his platitudes) but also in seeing how disparate tales and their respective players cross-pollinated to create the shared universe of the Enchanted Forest... and, for that matter, how that informs the status quo in Storybrooke.      

Kitsis & Horowitz are really to be commended for building such a fertile sandbox.  Can't wait for Jane Espenson's first ep.  She's gonna knock it out of the park.  

That said, if I had one quibble about this ep, it's that the conflict between Emma and the Evil Queen/Regina is starting off too black and white... too broad... for my taste.  Seems like Regina would be a little more subtle about her mustache twirling than that... but maybe they're just establishing the boundaries and will fill in a bit more nuance going forward.  I do like that Regina truly seems to love her son, and that Emma is very clear that she has no intention of trying to take him away from her.  This relationship can be adversarial without being one-dimensional.  

BTW, overnights were particularly impressive -- The show matched its debut numbers.  Full season order imminent.

Edited by BklnScott, 31 October 2011 - 01:42 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#15 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 31 October 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

Liked this very much, especially the opening montage with everyone reacting to the clock restarting.

Actually that part didn't work for me.  The clock restarted early the previous night, while Henry was still awake, but Regina didn't hear the chimes and react in shock until something like 9 the next morning?  If the chimes were that audible from her home, why didn't she hear any of the chimes it must've made over the preceding 12 hours, give or take?

I do like that Regina truly seems to love her son, and that Emma is very clear that she has no intention of trying to take him away from her.

I'm not sure if it's love per se.  Remember, her father said that the cost of enacting the curse would be a hole in her soul that she could never fill.  Her adoption of Henry may be an attempt to fill that void with something she can care about, but the very nature of the curse would seem to make her incapable of truly loving anyone.  Which could be why she and Henry can't really connect.  She wants to love him, but what she feels is more like a craving, a yearning she's trying unsuccessfully to slake.

Facebook Author Page

#16 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

View PostTricia, on 31 October 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

I wondered about that too but I think that since the Internet was not around back when the curse was made and time frozen for them*, that he was given a body.  Not sure why and maybe they'll cover that.  But newspapers have been around forever...okay, not forever  :rolleyes:  but long enough.  But I'm sure they could have had him become an Internet presence even though he has a body now.

*I really thought they had been transported through time not frozen but after this episode it sounds like frozen in time as far as aging is what it is.  Still not sure about where all the kids at the school came from or what happens when they grow up.  :unsure:

I thought the black cloud curse was the characters being wrapped up and transported to our world as immortal beings cursed to never remember their past. Which is weird that Evil Queen would want to curse herself like that....

But even if it just froze them in time until the Fantasy World became our world then it still wouldn't make much sense that Mirror was transformed into a full human by a CURSE? I mean I guess maybe a spirit or enchantment of sentient information might consider being human to be a curse, but it doesn't fit the spirit of the show. You know - Jimminy Cricket is a shrink, The Huntsman is a cop, the Evil Queen a corrupt politician. The Magic Mirror IS the Internet in fairy tale speak not a dull piece of paper. If people from 100 years ago saw us doing a google search they pretty much WOULD think we are consulting magic mirrors every day of our lives!

enTranced
Posted Image

#17 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

The present-day smackdowns between emma and Regina remind me of Krystle and Alexis in Dynasty. The show is at least 50% soap opera and I think that may be offputting to viewers who like genre but not, as was referenced above, Desperate Housewives.

I still love the show but can think of two tweaks that would help or would have helped. First, more Robert Carlyle please, especially as Mr. Gold, the Mr. Potter of Storybrooke What I wish they had done with the flashbacks was establish them as part of the text of the book Mary Margaret--they decided at the last minute not to make her a nun because those vows get problematic when John Doe wakes up--gave to Henry. It would make the show a bit more ambiguous and interesting if there was a chance that everyone  in the present day town wasn't really a fairy tale character but that Henry had cast people he knew in those roles. Of course he'd turn out to be right but the possibility that he's just an unhappy kid with a vivid imagination would put the audience more in Emma's position and let us come to the realization with her.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#18 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

View PostenTranced, on 31 October 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

View PostTricia, on 31 October 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

I thought the black cloud curse was the characters being wrapped up and transported to our world as immortal beings cursed to never remember their past. Which is weird that Evil Queen would want to curse herself like that....

But even if it just froze them in time until the Fantasy World became our world then it still wouldn't make much sense that Mirror was transformed into a full human by a CURSE? I mean I guess maybe a spirit or enchantment of sentient information might consider being human to be a curse, but it doesn't fit the spirit of the show. You know - Jimminy Cricket is a shrink, The Huntsman is a cop, the Evil Queen a corrupt politician. The Magic Mirror IS the Internet in fairy tale speak not a dull piece of paper. If people from 100 years ago saw us doing a google search they pretty much WOULD think we are consulting magic mirrors every day of our lives!

enTranced

Not disagreeing with you but offered that as a possible explanation for that choice as newspaper reporter publisher as opposed to Internet entity.

The whole time frozen or time transport thing is the main spot where I am confused.  Because I thought it was the time transport....Emma being dropped into the timeline before them by 18 years.  Especially seeing that Henry has aged.  I think Red Riding Hood too as I think she was a young'un at the war council.  So time is not so frozen.

The references to time being frozen in this episode just made me unsure of my original thought.

And thanks, Cardie, for that bit of info.  I referred to her as Sister Mary Margaret because when I was checking the cast list, they had her listed as such and I thought maybe I missed something, some mention of that in the show.

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 31 October 2011 - 01:31 PM, said:

The fun of the show isn't just ID'ing which fairy tale characters the townsfolk are (and how their respective archetypes influence their decisions, e.g., the shrink spouting his platitudes) but also in seeing how disparate tales and their respective players cross-pollinated to create the shared universe of the Enchanted Forest... and, for that matter, how that informs the status quo in Storybrooke.      

What he said.
Posted Image

#20 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

View PostTricia, on 31 October 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

Not disagreeing with you but offered that as a possible explanation for that choice as newspaper reporter publisher as opposed to Internet entity.

The whole time frozen or time transport thing is the main spot where I am confused.  Because I thought it was the time transport....Emma being dropped into the timeline before them by 18 years.  Especially seeing that Henry has aged.  I think Red Riding Hood too as I think she was a young'un at the war council.  So time is not so frozen.

The references to time being frozen in this episode just made me unsure of my original thought.

And thanks, Cardie, for that bit of info.  I referred to her as Sister Mary Margaret because when I was checking the cast list, they had her listed as such and I thought maybe I missed something, some mention of that in the show.

Was little red riding hood at the war council, younger than late highschool/early college age?

I was trying to figure out how Henry figured out the story book was true. If it mentioned him specifically, and the lead up to him being raised by the Evil Queen, turned Mayor Regina, I can't easily imagine even a Snow White with a memory hole not finding that story strange... Unless she didn't read it, and just gave him a story book (which she would have had to get from Mr Gold I imagine?). So if I am right, and the book is not more detail than that Emma is going to be their saviour, ending around when she was put in the tree thingy.... How did Henry figure it out? ....  

I was working on the theory that all of Storybrooke is frozen as of when the fairytale characters were brought in (whether there were non-fairytales previously and/or still would be up to debate), and everyone that was there at the beginning of the curse is frozen at that age.... But Emma was not touched by this curse, and neither therefor was her son Henry.  

So I though maybe what got Henry suspicious was that, as he grew up, his classmates (people like Hanzel and Gretel, and other child fairytale characters) did not, while he did. It may be why, besides perhaps not wanting a child from fantasy land, that Regina adopted from outside of Storybrooke, she did not want a kid frozen in time (would also explain why Henry can leave Storybrooke with relative ease), but one that could develop and grow. But if the fairy tale kids can grow up, it presents a lot of questions.... Can new kids be born? Thats is the only way to explain why Emma has anyone to teach, other than aging really really slowly. Do people freeze at a certain age (whether individually set, or otherwise) in adulthood?  I wonder if part of his tension with his mother started was over his sensing her holding back information, or telling half-truths/lies, when he started to question things growing up. And the fairybook just seemed to answer a lot of questions and it ignited things.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Once Upon A Time, Once Upon a Time: Season 1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users