4 replies to this topic

#1 Palisades

Palisades

Northern Lights

• Islander
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

They're commies! They're anarchists!

They're jobless! They've bought nice houses!

Of course, back during the bubble anyone who could fog a mirror could get a subprime liar loans. And houses in metro areas, especially NYC, tend to be (much) more expensive than the national median.

Edited by Palisades, 02 November 2011 - 07:35 PM.

"When the Fed is the bartender everybody drinks until they fall down." —Paul McCulley

"In truth, 'too big to fail' is not the worst thing we should fear – our financial institutions are now on their way to becoming 'too big to save'." —Simon Johnson

FKA:
TWP / An Affirming Flame / Solar Wind / Palisade

#2 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

I know right.  They could be anyone.  Jobless, employed, vets, home owners, renters, GAH, they're
us!  :)

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

Geez.  If they live in the NY metro area, the numbers quoted don't really say a whole lot.  This quote made me laugh:

T

he median monthly rent for those living in apartments whose information is readily available is $1,850.

Read more: http://dailycaller.c.../#ixzz1cewJ27DH

Seriously - when I left New York City to find someplace to live that I could AFFORD - back in the 90s, that was the cost of a 2 bedroom apartment.  I was literally priced out of New York - couldn't afford to live there.  Even now, I'm sometimes stunned at the rates of rent compared to outlying areas.  As an example:

Nov 3 - $3150 / 2br - Stunning Opportunity~MASSIVE Duplex 2 Bedroom loft~NEW - (Union Square) img apts broker fee

Nov 3 - $1695 / 2br - ALL NEW 2BR APT WITH BIG OPEN KITCHEN - (BUSHWICK NEAR THE M TRAIN) img apts by owner

Nov 3 - $2750 / 2br - 800ft² - __UNION SQ █ KING SIZE BEDS_ONE MONT_FREE _UTIL Included_ - (Union Square) img apts broker no fee

Nov 3 - $3795 / 2br - Awesome 2BR, Fireplace, Granite Kitch, Marble Bath, W/D, DW, Pets OK - (Gramercy) img apts by owner

Nov 3 - $4119 / 2br - GATEWAY ≈ WATERFRONT LIVING ≈ SPECTACULAR VIEWS - (Financial District) img apts by owner

Nov 3 - $2550 / 2br - 900ft² - Lovely Two Bedroom - (Harlem / Morningside) img apts by owner

Nov 3 - $1295 / 2br - FOR RENT- CHARMING 2 BED/1 BATH ENGLISH TUDOR - (RHINEBECK/STAATSBURG AREA) pic

Nov 3 - $1295 / 2br - Beautiful Sun Soaked 2 Bed/1 Bath Country Cottege - (Rhinebeck/Staatsburg Area) pic

Nov 3 - $700 / 2br - Recently renovated 2 bed - (Coxsackie) pic

Nov 3 - $1300 / 4br - 2100ft² - Big, Modern and Clean- Tons of Light and LAKE access - (Catskills- right on Swinging Bridge Lake) img

Nov 3 - $1000 / 2br - 2 BDRM MAYBROOK APT. WITH YARD - (218 WALLACE AVE, MAYBROOK, NY)

Nov 3 - $950 / 2br - cuddibackeville - (634 oakland valley rd)

Nov 3 - $1850 / 3br - Climbers/XC skiers wanted - (New Paltz) pi

Hudson Valley is 1 - 2 hour commute time into NYC.  You can see that some of the HIGH end real estate in the Hudson Valley, matches pricing for the LOW end (for instance Bushwick Brooklyn is not ideal neighborhood) New York City real estate.

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 03 November 2011 - 11:27 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

I've heard people say, and read signs along the lines of "I have a nice house, a great job, a wonderful family, but I must save the future for my kids."

This is a growing, mass, global, leaderless street protest. I don't think they've really wrapped their head around it yet. I not sure many of us have. We are the 99% and Occupy Wall Street (the broad messages sent out by the initial protest) I think resonated around the world.

Edited by Hambil, 03 November 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#5 Nittany Lioness

Nittany Lioness

Craving a little perspective.

• Islander
  • 3,537 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Goodie, then they can afford to pay for the fees, the vandalism fixes, the lost business, the layoffs, the stopped shipping out from the port, the rape kits, the clean ups and all the grief they are ironically causing people trying to get to work, get to their children, get to their appointments, get to hospitals, on and on and on and on ....

I'm cold Howard.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Occupy Wall Street, OWS, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users