Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

ET Life In The Solar System-What Would It Be Like?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

No, we won't discuss "little green men" here. :p~

So far, the following places in our Solar System seem to be candidates for life:

Mars
Europa
Titan
Enceladus

Now...this is where we put on our speculative hats. If life were to exist on any of these worlds, what would it most likely be like? Of course, we need to take into account the environments of each world.

:cool:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

For the moment, I'm going to take a stab at Titan...

Temperatures on the surface of this icy moon are roughly around -290 degrees Fahrenheit. There is cryo-volcanism occuring on Titan. My guess is that any life forms that might exist would most likely be living in the "lava"-the water/ammonia ocean that most likely exists below the fozen surface. I'm not sure if any of the bodies of liquid methane would play a role; I figure they are WAY too cold for that. Of course, what might be limiting me would be thinking from the POV of an Earthling; could any life form exist under such brutally cold temperatures?  :think:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 05 November 2011 - 04:07 PM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,884 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:28 PM

Mars, Europa, Enceladus: The most likely form, based on current understanding, would be something similar to "life as we know it," carbon-water life existing below the surface.  Latest thinking is that Mars may never have had liquid water on the surface for substantial lengths of time but could have had (or still have) subsurface aquifers.  Europa and Enceladus are suspected/likely to have liquid-water mantles beneath their icy crusts.  Life might possibly be chemosynthetic like the life in the deep thermal vents of Earth's oceans -- no need for sunlight.

Titan: There might also be a subsurface water or water-ammonia ocean.  Some form of extremophilic life could theoretically exist there.  Also its atmosphere is similar to that of the primitive Earth; experiments have shown that complex organic molecules, including amino acids and nucleotide bases, can be formed from its constituents.  There could theoretically be more exotic forms of life using the methane and ethane in Titan's lakes as its solvent (taking the place of water in our biochemistry).  Asimov suggested that methane-based life could be built from lipids instead of proteins.

http://en.wikipedia....of_biochemistry
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users