Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Oklahoma Quake-5.6 Temblor

Natural disasters Earthquake Oklahoma 2011

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

link

(CNN) -- Central Oklahoma continued to experience dozens of aftershocks Sunday, nearly 24 hours since the state's strongest earthquake since 1952 was felt throughout the region.

More than ten aftershocks measuring at east 3.0 magnitude were reported Sunday, in the hours after a 5.6-magnitude earthquake took residents by surprise Saturday night. The temblor rattled homes and structures, causing belongings to scatter in houses and sending strident, booming sounds through the area.

Kathy Crawson, a nurse with a community hospital in Prague, Oklahoma, about six miles from the quake's epicenter, said Sunday the experience was terrifying, but she was getting used to the aftershocks.

"We have felt several aftershocks. I just felt one a few minutes ago," said Crawson.

The 5.6-magnitude quake struck four miles east of Sparks in Lincoln County at 11:53 p.m. ET Saturday.

It hit struck the same area where a 4.7-magnitude quake struck just hours earlier -- at 3:12 a.m. ET Saturday.

Any Ex-Islers from Oklahoma, please check in.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

And before you ask, yes, the Oklahoma Geological Survey has raised the possibility that the recent rash of earthquakes in OK (and AR) may be linked to the extensive fracking in those areas.

I'm not telling anyone to "cut it out!" or anything. Jes' sayin'...

<retreats to EtU's fracking earthquake thread>

#3 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 18,142 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:49 PM

My boyfriend was visiting his parents in Oklahoma and was seriously freaked out.  Apparently, this kind of thing never happens there.  And yeah, the first thing I thought was, "all that fracking in Arkansas..."

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

You folks watch TOO much Battlestar Galactica. Seriously. :p

:cylon: :ninja:

;)
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

See what happens when you frack around too much? :p

Seriously though, I hope people are okay for an area that doesn't have earthquake building codes.
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:01 AM

View PostOrpheus, on 06 November 2011 - 05:15 PM, said:

And before you ask, yes, the Oklahoma Geological Survey has raised the possibility that the recent rash of earthquakes in OK (and AR) may be linked to the extensive fracking in those areas.
It has occurred to me.    :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

Yeah, this may be the death kneel of the whole fracking oil sands industry :) One can hope.

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

Better their death knell than ours.  Better the death knell of frakking profits than alternate energy research and production.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

link

The temblor sent Jesse Richards' wife running outside because she thought their home was going to collapse. The earthquake centered near their home in Sparks, 44 miles northeast of Oklahoma City, could be felt throughout the state and in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, northern Texas and some parts of Illinois and Wisconsin.

Richards estimated it lasted for as much as a minute. One of his wife's cookie jars fell on the floor and shattered, and pictures hanging in their living room were knocked askew.

"We've been here 18 years, and it's getting to be a regular occurrence," said Richards, 50. But, he added, "I hope I never get used to them."

Some damage reported but mostly of the collapsed tower or crack in the building type. It's scary when it's something you are not used to but sounds like it's becoming more and more common there.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural disasters, Earthquake, Oklahoma, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users