Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Alica's baking blog

baking cake

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#21 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

I missed that you'd put the Christmas cake recipe up so getting that copied off. :)

I find that I often have to play with how much fruit goes into my muffins too.  I've had recipes where there was too much and those with not enough.  The muffins look Yum!

I love this type of cheesecake recipe too...the no-bake kind.  Just glad my whole family is the same way about cheesecake.  Don't get me wrong they like the baked kind too...but they get that for desserts at parties or restaurants.  At home, it's no-bake all the way.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#22 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

:steals brownies, takes off:

:whistle:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#23 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

View PostAlica, on 05 December 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

I was far too excited about the fact that we'd bought a zester (yes - new kitchen gadgets excite me) to remember to take a pic of the ingredients or any of the making of...so I only have the finished product.
I totally understand about the new kitchen gadgets.   :D   I recently acquired a tapered silicone rolling pin, and mean to try my hand at pot pies.  I also got a bottle/package opener that came in handy when I tried to open a bottle of sparkling juice that was stuck.  I popped it over the cap, turned it, thought, well that was a whole lotta nuthin' but when I tried to open it again, no problem!   :lol:

Love the yummy pictures.    :drool:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

MORE.

YUMMIES.

NOW.

:glare:

:drool:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#25 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

View PostCheile, on 05 December 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

:steals brownies, takes off:

:whistle:

(steals them from Cheile and runs off in other direction)

:p~
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#26 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

^ HEY!!! :crazy: I STOLE THEM FIRST!!!

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#27 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

View PostCheile, on 06 December 2011 - 08:29 PM, said:

^ HEY!!! :crazy:

(leaves bail of hay for Cheile, runs out of thread  :whistle: )

:p :p
Posted Image

#28 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

Cherry and almond cakes

Verdict? They were okay, but could have been better.
Oh, too bad.

Love the cheesecake. I have a recipe for No-bake Chocolate Orange Cheesecake that is Out. Of. This. World. I got the recipe from HERE. The recipe says to keep frozen until ready to serve, but I found cutting it to be VERY difficult, so I now freeze for about an hour, take out, cut, put back in freezer and then it's easier to re-cut when I serve it.

I was far too excited about the fact that we'd bought a zester (yes - new kitchen gadgets excite me) to remember to take a pic of the ingredients or any of the making of...so I only have the finished product.
LOL! Same here. Hubby scores big points when he picks up some kitchen gadget for me "just because".  :love:

#29 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

View PostKimmer, on 06 December 2011 - 10:57 PM, said:

No-bake Chocolate Orange Cheesecake

:shocked:

I am SO glad I'm eating a piece of Dutch Apple pie right now. :p
Posted Image

#30 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

Posted Image

#31 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

View PostVapor Trails, on 07 December 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

Why? You could make the cheesecake and eat it instead.  :whistle:  :devil:

#32 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

^

:p~
Posted Image

#33 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

I found a recipe the other day for a cookie with orange and chocolate that I'm going to try...along with the pumpkin spice whoopie pie.  I know I was going to do the whoopie pie thing last weekend but that didn't happen :rolleyes:   Those will be for my mom since she really likes them.

This is getting me revved up for the baking to come  as I usually make cookie and candy platters to give to friends.  This year I've had requests for my hummingbird cake---I do it in bundt form with a pineapple glaze.

Last year I did fruit baskets instead and it did not go over as well. :unsure:

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#34 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

ALICIA!!

WHERE!

ARE!

THE!

YUMMIES?!?!?!?!?!

:ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

:p~  :whistle:
Posted Image

#35 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

^Spell my name right and I might post some :wink:

Kimmer - thanks for the recipe, but we're not big fans of chocolate cheesecake in our house. We prefer fruit based cheesecake. I'm glad you have no bake cheesecakes over in America though - I much prefer them to baked, but always thought New York style cheesecake was the big thing over there.

Anyway, I haven't done any new baking this week - we need a new roof at church, so we had a coffee morning to raise some money towards it. Church means brownies! I decided to make a double batch so we had some at home, hence the massive amount of mix!

P1000375(1).JPG

Yummy ingredients!

P1000379(1).JPG

The three different bowls waiting to be mixed together.

P1000383(1).JPG

Nom....I think my brother would have quite happily eaten them like this!

P1000385(1).JPG

Mix ready to go in the oven.

P1000390(1).JPG

All done!

I'm hoping to attempt to make tarte au citron tomorrow....I've never done it before, and my mum loves it, so it's a challenge! I'll try not to get distracted by the zester and take some piccies. Oh, and not cake related, but I took it while I was waiting for the chocolate and butter to melt:

P1000377(1).JPG

Not brownies....I tried to get a pic of our cat looking cute by the fire, but she wasn't having it. Mad "I'm going to claw your arm off" look instead....

Edited by Alica, 10 December 2011 - 05:34 PM.
spelling

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#36 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

^

:D

I was having a "yummy attack". :p Hence the misspelling of your name. :hehe:

It looks like your kitty had some of your yummies and is experiencing bliss. :p

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

#37 Alica

Alica

• 1,633 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

^Hehehe, maybe.

Tarte au citron time! The recipe for this is Mary Berry's recipe, which I got off The Great British Bake Off. Basically, it's a programme shown on BBC2 over here - 10 amateur bakers compete to be crowned Britain's best amateur baker. It's a reality show, but it's a lovely one - the judges rush in to help when things go wrong, offer helpful advice and criticism, and it's all very lovely and genteel. There's only been two series, but the people are on there because they want to bake, not just because they want to be on tv! Anyway, every week they were set a technical challenge on the theme of the week, and one week it was tarte au citron. The judges did two masterclass episodes at the end, where they took you through the recipes step by step so you can recreate them at home. I love this show. My brother's getting me the book for Christmas, I'm very excited about all the new recipes I'll have to try.

Anyway, I've managed to find a link to it on youtube:

Can explain it much better than me!!

P1000399(1).JPG

Pastry ingredients.

P1000393(1).JPG

Making pastry with the food processor. I struggle with pastry even though I have ice cold hands 99% of the time, so thought I'd try it this way.

P1000396(1).JPG

Lookit! I made decent pastry!! <3

P1000402(1).JPG

Lemon tart ingredients. I failed here and forgot to take a pic of the lemon tart mix...

P1000406(1).JPG

Tadaaaaa! It hadn't really cooled down enough so was a bit sticky. I was worrying horribly when I cut the first slice, because it looked a mess, but I needn't have worried:

P1000408(1).JPG

After shot :wink:

Verdict? Well, the empty tin says it all (five of us polished it off no problem). Next time, I think I need to make it the day before so it can cool down properly and set, so we get the proper lemon tart texture. But it was lemony with thin pastry (woop!), so thumbs up from us!
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#38 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

I'm going to have to try that!!

I love anything citrus and especially lemon.

I'm not very good at pastry but I do have a child who is. :D

#39 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:40 AM

View PostAlica, on 10 December 2011 - 05:33 PM, said:

Kimmer - thanks for the recipe, but we're not big fans of chocolate cheesecake in our house. We prefer fruit based cheesecake. I'm glad you have no bake cheesecakes over in America though - I much prefer them to baked, but always thought New York style cheesecake was the big thing over there.
NY style is okay, but I prefer no bake so that's what I serve. :p

Here's my baking adventure from today, and the color is off in the last 3 photos simply because my skills in CS5 are not up to adjusting photos taken in bad lighting. The frosting is actually a cool green, and against the red of the red velvet cake - it was gorgeous.

https://picasaweb.go...3/RedVelvetCake

#40 Alica

Alica

• 1,633 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

Tricia - I don't usually make pastry because my dad is excellent at it - this Christmas he's making both his lemon meringue pie and sausage rolls for our Boxing Day party, so lots of yummy dad pastry! (I'm making lemon cheesecake and carrot cake - so expect my carrot cake recipe in about a week). But seriously, this was a doddle. Measure carefully and follow the instructions, and you should get a lovely ball of pastry. I <3 Mary Berry. Though I had to line the tin the regular way, we don't have one with a loose bottom.

Kimmer - it's no bake all the way in our house too. I love the texture. Your red velvet cake looks yummy! Have to admit it's something I've never tried to make. I tried a red velvet cupcake at my friend's fancy piano evening a while back - wasn't overly impressed because it was quite dry, but that might have been whoever made it. ( :blush: I didn't want to say anything because I know the person who made it. My raspberry chocolate truffles were okay though - someone complimented them in front of me without knowing I'd made them, and thought they'd been made by some professional chocolatier - score!) so what is proper red velvet cake like?

I'm currently in the process of making sugar cookies. (finishing tomorrow because it's way too late here). We're doing 2 secret Santa at our housegroup, so we're having to get creative ^_^ I'm trying to make mini sugar cookie houses, but the dough was a bit sticky so the first attempt are probably too mishapen to stick together. Tragic - going to have to eat them! I'm turning the rest of the dough into Christmas cookies - playing with my bell, tree and star cutters. Might break out the robin too tomorrow. Will take piccies of the finished products :)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users