4 replies to this topic

#1 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:59 AM

Another Vet Injured at Occupy Oakland

A second veteran taking part in the Occupy Oakland protest is in a San Francisco hospital today after reportedly being beaten by police on Wednesday.

Kayvan Sabeghi, described as a former Army Ranger who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, is in intensive care at Highland Hospital in San Francisco, according to Reuters. Sabeghi is being treated for a lacerated spleen.

Former Marine Cpl. Scott Olsen is in the same hospital. He was brought there Oct. 25 after being struck in the head by a police-fired tear gas canister.  Olsen is currently in fair condition and is expected to make a full recovery.

Iraq Veterans against the War, which along with Veterans for Peace has been supporting the Occupy movement in Oakland and elsewhere, said Sabeghi was detained by police late Wednesday during disturbances in downtown Oakland.

The group said Sabeghi was charged with resisting arrest and remaining present at the place of a riot.

KGO, the San Francisco ABC News  affiliate, quoted Sabeghi’s sister as saying he was stopped by police, hit in the abdomen four times, and then arrested and jailed. Shoole Sabeghi told KGO that she spoke to her brother before he was taken into surgery at Highland....
Too angry to comment.     :angry: :angry: :angry:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#2 psycaz

psycaz
  • Islander
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:14 AM

If this happened Wednesday night, that would have been in the middle of the rioting that broke out.

If that is the case and he was there in the middle of that rioting, what exactly are the police supposed to do?

Have to let the facts come out before passing judgement.

#3 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

A few idiots breaking windows is not a riot and does not require a full on riot response. 5,000 people or more on the streets, a port mostly shut down, several bank branches closed, and people chose to focus on these small group of trouble makers.

By the way, I'd lay odds the Ranger was there to stop them, a long with others. OWS does a lot of peer pressure non-violence and tries to talk people down or block them.

#4 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

View Postpsycaz, on 07 November 2011 - 10:14 AM, said:

If this happened Wednesday night, that would have been in the middle of the rioting that broke out.
What Hambil said.  

If that is the case and he was there in the middle of that rioting, what exactly are the police supposed to do?
Beat the crap out of him without bothering to notice that he's not actually rioting?  Some police officers wear their pig badges way too proudly.    :suspect:

Have to let the facts come out before passing judgement.
I pass judgement based on my own experiences with the police.  I am a disabled veteran myself, so the chances that all my police experiences are positive ones is close enough to zero as makes no nevermind.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

There is video of at least part of his arrest and there are 5 or 6 cops on him. It's on this site--

http://www.ktvu.com/...vet-11-4/nFWrJ/

Not sure how to link to more than just the article but have watched the video that was part of a report on the events.  

Add to that the fact that he went to jail and was not given any medical care until after he made bail and was released.  In so much pain that he could not even leave the holding cell and was rushed to the hospital from the jail cell.

Yes, one should wait for all the facts to come out but when you see video and there are no other rioters around and only a bunch of cops piled on one man....it does not look good.

Edited by Tricia, 07 November 2011 - 12:17 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Occupy Wall Street, OWS, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users