Is Bryan Fuller about to have 2 series on NBC?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

http://www.deadline....-series-orders/

Fuller originally developed a reboot of the 1960s comedy series The Munsters last season and his was one of very few scripts new NBC chief Bob Greenblatt kept in play when he took over the network in January. Greenblatt rolled the project to get it redeveloped by his team. Fuller’s new outline submitted in Septemer was received well (it was the talk of NBC’s pre-Emmy party), and his draft was just delivered on Friday. Word is that NBC, which may pull the trigger on a series order as early as this week, envisions the new Munsters as a potential summer or event series. ...

Like Fuller’s previous series, Pushing Daisies, the  project features striking visuals mixed with all the classic Munsters archetypes. Grandpa Sam Dracula is essentially Dracula who assembled Herman because no man was good enought for his daughter Lily, a sexy vamp. Lily’s niece Marilyn the freak is actually normal and  Lily and Herman’s only child, Eddie, has his werewolf tendencies surface in puberty, forcing the family to relocate to their famous 1313 Mockingbird Lane address.

Separately, Fuller is writing Hannibal, a drama series for Gaumont International Television and producer Martha De Laurentiis, which NBC just bought preemptively. Fuller is writing the script about based on the iconic literary and film character Hannibal Lecter against a 13-episode commitment, meaning that the script will trigger a 13-episode series if NBC likes it. (NBC has a short window to decide upon receiving the draft, with a potential release triggering a penalty.) I hear the network first got interested in the project when Fuller mentioned it casually to the network’s new entertainment president Jennifer Salke over drinks. A well-known foodie as evidenced by Pushing Daisies, I hear Fuller was attracted to the dark, sick side of Hannibal, who tends to feast on his victims.

Additionally, Fuller has a couple of high-profile features in the works, including a live-action Pinocchio, and a couple of cable projects, including a series adaption of the YA sci-fi novel Lotus Caves for SyFy and a series at USA.  Lotus Caves is set on the moon in 2068 and features aliens -- quite the novelty for the SyFy Channel these days.

He's been productive, hasn't he?  Munsters--a mix of genre and satirical comedy--sounds particularly up his alley, but I'm very curious about Hannibal.  Fuller is a apparently a well-known foodie, which could be put to very good use on such a show!   :devil:

Edited by BklnScott, 07 November 2011 - 06:44 PM.

There isn't enough mommy in the world to further a cause like yours!

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,851 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

I've never been a fan of The Munsters, but I'd much rather see that than more of the overused and overglamorized Hannibal Lecter character.

The Lotus Caves things sounds promising, based solely on that one-sentence description.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel
Written Worlds -- My blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,004 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

The Munsters and Hannibal are two different ends of the spectrum to be sure, still though they probably won't happen.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

The Munsters gets its pilot order less than 2 weeks after NBC received Bryan Fuller's script.  Promising.  

http://www.deadline....ot/#more-195999

No movement on the possibility of a straight-to-series order for Hannibal as yet.

#5 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

View PostBklnScott, on 16 November 2011 - 08:51 PM, said:

The Munsters gets its pilot order less than 2 weeks after NBC received Bryan Fuller's script.  Promising.  

http://www.deadline....ot/#more-195999

No movement on the possibility of a straight-to-series order for Hannibal as yet.

Will it be done as a comedy or more serious?  I love me some Dead Like Me, so I wonder if he'll go more into the angle of them being "normal" while looking like they do and everyone else being judgemental as kind of social commentary.  They did a Munsters series in the late 1980s, if I remember right.  I always enjoyed The Munsters so I'll give it a try.  The Munsters looked like monsters but were "normal" and The Addams Family looked normal but were abnormal is the way I've read it described.

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,851 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

All three series on which Bryan Fuller has a creator credit -- Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies -- have been comedies, albeit with dramatic elements.  So I see no reason why he'd suddenly turn The Munsters into an angsty drama or something.

As for the difference between The Munsters and The Addams Family, it's mainly that the Munsters were freakish but were trying to assimilate and pass as normal suburban types -- it was something of an allegory for Jewish immigrants, I'm told -- whereas the Addamses assumed they already were normal and everyone else was strange.  So the former was about attempted but failed conformity and the latter was about gleeful, untroubled nonconformity.  (Which is part of why I've always greatly preferred The Addams Family.)

Edited by Christopher, 17 November 2011 - 02:10 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel
Facebook Author Page

#7 RommieFan

RommieFan
  • Islander
  • 369 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

Hollywood Reporter

Bryan Singer is moving from mutants to Munsters.

The producer-director-writer, who has been involved with three of the X-Men films in the superhero franchise, is closing in on a deal to direct and executive produce NBC's The Munsters, sources confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

#8 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

NBC exercised its option and picked up HANNIBAL straight to series with a 13 episode commitment based on Bryan Fuller's pilot script.  

Meanwhile, production on the Mockingbird Lane pilot has been pushed to June because of casting difficulties.  It is now eyed for midseason 2013 launch.  

Congrats to Bryan Fuller!  

http://www.deadline....us-drama-pilot/

Edited by BklnScott, 14 February 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#9 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,030 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:04 AM

Ugh.  I hate that Hollywood always seems to glomp out one genre at a time, especially when its a genre I'm all but guaranteed not to watch.  I've got just about zero interest in a horror series of any kind, including the Hannibal Lechter kind. :(  I wish that Munsters had gotten a quicker green light, since that might have been tolerable for me.

Christopher - I wonder if the Addams Family is crowded out a bit by the existance of Wizards of Waverly Place?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#10 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Bumping this thread because Mockingbird Lane will be on this coming Friday night October 26, 2012 (8-9 p.m. ET) on NBC.  
Here's a preview:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1963510.html

And here's an interview with Bryan Fuller from Comic Con talking about Mockingbird Lane, Hannibal, and he says that there might be a revival of Pushing Daisies, possibly on Broadway!

http://www.bing.com/...tail&FORM=VIRE5

Edited by LiberalBob, 21 October 2012 - 06:58 PM.

#11 BklnScott

BklnScott

FKA ScottEVill

• Islander
  • 17,650 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

It's a no promotion burn off, though.  The buzz is that it "doesn't work" but the script was tremendous.  I suspect network notes doomed it.

#12 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Watchdog
  • 6,375 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

Some in the industry say that NBC will take a look at the ratings to make a final decision on a possible order of more episodes. If that ends up coming true, my guess is they'll order six episodes for late midseason.

But like Scott said, it's basically a burn-off, with only very little promotion, and that's mostly coming from the media rather than the network.

But we'll see.

Greets
Lambsilencer
Follow me on Twitter.

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 31,851 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:02 AM

I saw a Mockingbird Lane promo after last week's Grimm episode, a combined promo for it and this week's Grimm. So there is at least some promotion, and it's being packaged as a companion piece to one of the network's more popular current shows.

Facebook Author Page

#14 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 22 October 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

It's a no promotion burn off, though.  The buzz is that it "doesn't work" but the script was tremendous.  I suspect network notes doomed it.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to embed the youtube videos here(I suck at tech stuff) and just decided to link directly to HuffPo itself and realised there was an article with the preview.  Talk about a letdown.  Still, it's worth a look but it sounds like a Dead Like Me situation, although I did like it's second season after Fuller left.

#15 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostLambsilencer, on 22 October 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Some in the industry say that NBC will take a look at the ratings to make a final decision on a possible order of more episodes. If that ends up coming true, my guess is they'll order six episodes for late midseason.

But like Scott said, it's basically a burn-off, with only very little promotion, and that's mostly coming from the media rather than the network.

But we'll see.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Yeah, I was hoping that would be the case, that maybe they were wanting to see if there's any interest.  Makes me mad that I got to be a Neilson household back in May instead of now.  Not that I will like it but I will be watching it and at least it would have counted.  Maybe Fuller could fix some of the tampering NBC did if it gets picked up which is doubtful, I guess.

#16 Josh

Josh

He stares...

• Islander
  • 13,774 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostBklnScott, on 22 October 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

Probably. It was also "reported" that director Bryan Singer and Fuller fought over the visual look of the pilot. Who knows? It's a shame because that script was great.
"THE UNICORNS ARE NOT TO BE TRIFLED WITH!" - John Burke.

#17 Bobby

Bobby

FKA LiberalBob

• Islander
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostChristopher, on 22 October 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

I saw a Mockingbird Lane promo after last week's Grimm episode, a combined promo for it and this week's Grimm. So there is at least some promotion, and it's being packaged as a companion piece to one of the network's more popular current shows.

I saw that promo too so I assumed that it had been picked.  As they say, never assume, LOL.   Since it will be on before Grimm I don't know if it will benefit from being packaged with it though.   I thought it would at least be a two hour pilot since they are going to the trouble of airing it but it's only one hour.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users