Occupy Wall Street OWS 2011

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

For a humor site, I thought this Cracked! article makes some good points - especially the first couple.

http://www.cracked.c...eet-generation/

Reading the "We are the 99%" tumblr, the one thing that has always struck me is how many of the posts there are driven by college debt and the whole massive fail of the implied promise that college debt is "worth it" because of the job opportunities - and then having the debt still there and the opportunities go *poof*.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#2 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

College debt was likely the spark for the movement, but even before the original protesters  had planned the first gathering in NYC the scope had changed to income inequality.

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Didn't mean to imply anything about the movement's goals - the thing I'm struck by is the individual circumstances of folks posting on the tumblr...

I was lucky enough to get out of college back in the '90's with zero debt and get a good job that has stayed stable for 16+ years, and I just really can't imagine how overwhelming it must be for young adults today.

- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Occupy Wall Street, OWS, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users