RobL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#21 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

Well, I'm sorry to see RobL go.  He was a Conservative that you could talk to until this last "snit."  I learned more from him about Conservatism than from anyone on this board.  LoP I back whatever decision you make, I know that it's hard.  I just wish that your hand hadn't been forced.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#22 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

I'm sure there are more conservatives on this board than we realize. Some of them, like me, just are not interested in discussing politics.

I didn't think DevF was insulting or slamming conservatives with his post, part of it was just taken out of context because I read the part where he said he enjoyed his debates with them because, where's the fun in only agreeing with your fellow liberal/conservative/teapartier/<insert group here>? We have debate because we have different people who often disagree with other people and as long as those disagreements are debated in a respectful manner there is no problem.

It's when one side or the other starts going after poster instead of post that things get difficult.

#23 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

View PostEChatty, on 14 December 2011 - 09:29 AM, said:

I'm sure there are more conservatives on this board than we realize. Some of them, like me, just are not interested in discussing politics.

I didn't think DevF was insulting or slamming conservatives with his post, part of it was just taken out of context because I read the part where he said he enjoyed his debates with them because, where's the fun in only agreeing with your fellow liberal/conservative/teapartier/<insert group here>? We have debate because we have different people who often disagree with other people and as long as those disagreements are debated in a respectful manner there is no problem.

It's when one side or the other starts going after poster instead of post that things get difficult.

LoP is a Conservative.  Poor guy...   ;)

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

#24 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

^^We're also both Christians, but we don't go off half-cocked and tell people that "God hates <whatever>"

If those people (we know who they are) were actual Christians, they would know that God loves everyone, no matter what. My bible states that God hates sin, not the sinner-two different things.

Back to the original topic now. RobL's ban.

#25 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

Wow.  I mean, just....wow. I saw this last night, and I really didn't know what to say.

I'm still not sure that I know what to say, but I'll try...

View PostEChatty, on 13 December 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

I certainly didn't lobby for or against a ban, I just hoped he would cool down and go back to posting like he had been.

Like Chatty, I hoped that he would return to posting like he had been doing...RobL's style tends to be very direct, even blunt, but I have seen discussions that he has made real contributions to, both in the past and recently.

Like DevF, I often don't agree with RobL, but he has said things that made me think, that made me take another look at ideas, or  situations.  

I have great respect for LoP, and I know he does not make decisions like this lightly.

But like Natasha, and Balderdash, I'm sorry to see RobL go.

Peridot
Posted Image

#26 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

I'm not sure it's reasonable to feel bad for someone who is all about taking personal responsibility for ones actions. I sure don't. I'm not happy, or sad, just meh.

Not bashing Rob - just trying to add a little perspective (or at least my perspective) to all the huggy-hugs :p

Edited by Hambil, 14 December 2011 - 12:31 PM.

#27 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

View PostHambil, on 14 December 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

I'm not sure it's reasonable to feel bad for someone who is all about taking personal responsibility for ones actions. I sure don't. I'm not happy, or sad, just meh.

Not bashing Rob - just trying to add a little perspective (or at least my perspective) to all the huggy-hugs :p

I wasn't offering a "huggy-hug."  Sheesh, way to totally miss the point.  And here's a nice dismissive smilie for you:  :sarcasm:

#28 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

Could we please be careful here? It's beginning to get into a poster, not post and that is not cool.

#29 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostEChatty, on 14 December 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

Could we please be careful here? It's beginning to get into a poster, not post and that is not cool.

Sorry...truly.

#30 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

View PostBalderdash, on 14 December 2011 - 01:43 PM, said:

View PostHambil, on 14 December 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

I wasn't offering a "huggy-hug."  Sheesh, way to totally miss the point.  And here's a nice dismissive smilie for you:  :sarcasm:
Alright, it's time I said something. How is it, that when a post has no quote in it, no link to something you posted, and exists no where near what you posted and does not contain your name, automatically always end up being about you?

#31 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 4,023 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

^While it is reasonable to point out that the post Baldy seemed offended by wasn't necessarily directed at her, I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective.

Deep breaths, everyone. Nobody's trying to offend anyone else.

#32 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

"sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective"

I think that should just be my middle name. I am working on it though!

#33 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 14 December 2011 - 01:55 AM, said:

Sorry it came to that.

Agreed.
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#34 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

View PostOmega, on 14 December 2011 - 02:18 PM, said:

^While it is reasonable to point out that the post Baldy seemed offended by wasn't necessarily directed at her, I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective.

Deep breaths, everyone. Nobody's trying to offend anyone else.

Omega I am LOLing even as we speak and I just deleted the rejoinder that I had so carefully typed out as it too was not conducive to blah blah collective...blah harmony.  Thank you, I needed that.  :)

#35 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostEChatty, on 14 December 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

Thanks for proving my point-which there is NO point to these threads being open to the membership-for 48 hours, or 48 minutes. Obviously, a poster, to get to the point of a permaban, has a track record that has been decided by the mods/admis, or LoP himself-such as in RobL's case. Seriously-what is the point of discussing a permaban if the ban won't be reversed?! The only thing keeping such a thread open will do is invite disagreements-which given the history of this board and its membership will lead to anger and fights. And since the decision is final-it's all pointless.

I DON'T CARE if this is board policy. It's a stupid policy and needs to be done away with.

In fact-I'm going to start a thread about this.
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#36 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

I just saw emotions starting to run high and thought I'd do a chill post before a cool-it was needed.

Let's just try not to get personal with each other. I'm sure there are people who disagree with the decision and certainly not all of staff agreed with it, but it was LoP's decision to ban him without SL discussion and I respect it.

#37 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

View PostBalderdash, on 14 December 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

Well, I'm sorry to see RobL go.  He was a Conservative that you could talk to until this last "snit."  I learned more from him about Conservatism than from anyone on this board.  

I frequently headdesked when reading his posts because they are so, so different from my POV, but he wasn't about having the last word or one-upping everyone and so on (at least about OT stuff IIRC) and that's immensely valuable because it didn't play into the sensationalistic, pointless snit and snark that's politics and current events these days.  I've not been around much and then lurking but OT often reads to me like "Yes!" "No!" "Your guy did this!" "No he didn't!" "Your side sucks!" "No it doesn't!"  (Could just be reading five threads back to back while I eat my bagel.)

I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective.

*spittake*  ROFLMAO!  That is awesome.  May I add it to my sig?  (If I can remember how to edit it after all this time and if there's room!)

Chatty/other staff, feel free to glomp me for this but it looks to me like a) the process failed RobL, b) he understandably lost patience, and c) found no benefit in trying to work things through via PM with staff (or whatever the main point at which point a occurred).  And without meaning to take away from RobL taking responsibility for himself and his actions, maybe we should think about whether this represents a failure of Ex Isle that things got to this point where a long standing poster (who yes, capable of raising a ruckus) decided to go all independent and our dwindling poster numbers are reduced again.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#38 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,276 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

View PostAnakam, on 14 December 2011 - 06:09 PM, said:

Chatty/other staff, feel free to glomp me for this but it looks to me like a) the process failed RobL, b) he understandably lost patience, and c) found no benefit in trying to work things through via PM with staff (or whatever the main point at which point a occurred).  And without meaning to take away from RobL taking responsibility for himself and his actions, maybe we should think about whether this represents a failure of Ex Isle that things got to this point where a long standing poster (who yes, capable of raising a ruckus) decided to go all independent and our dwindling poster numbers are reduced again.

Thanks, Anakam.

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 14 December 2011 - 06:20 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#39 Hambil

Hambil
  • Islander
  • 5,492 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:21 PM

And without meaning to take away from RobL taking responsibility for himself and his actions, maybe we should think about whether this represents a failure of Ex Isle that things got to this point where a long standing poster (who yes, capable of raising a ruckus) decided to go all independent and our dwindling poster numbers are reduced again.
I agree, and it's why I have been pushing so hard for better debate (well before Rob left) and have been making a conscious effort to change my posting style. I know that my opinions will always inflame a few, just because they exist, no matter how I state them. But I can certainly get better at stating them, and work toward ways that promote "harmony within the collective."

It's a complex problem, and one I think comes down to the above - starting to listen to each other, and making structure/rule changes to the board to promote that, if needed.

Edited by Hambil, 14 December 2011 - 06:22 PM.

#40 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 4,023 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective.

*spittake*  ROFLMAO!  That is awesome.  May I add it to my sig?  (If I can remember how to edit it after all this time and if there's room!)

By all means.

You know the sad thing? I actually talk like that at work sometimes.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users