Question: What is the ratio of moderators to active posters?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

By Active I guess I mean people who've posted say within the last six months?
Posted Image

#2 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

I haven't a clue. Orpheus has access to all that data, I'm sure he can pull it up for us.

I'm kind of curious myself.

Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

#3 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

Yeah I'd like to know.
Posted Image

#4 ArdenCabbel

ArdenCabbel

S.L.o.P.

• Islander
  • 946 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

I check the today's most active posters list rather often, based on the numbers there and a quick headcount of just moderators, I think the ratio is around 1:2 or 1:3.  (Which from my understanding, is pretty high.)

For me, it raises another question.  What is the average term of our current moderators?
Posted Image

#5 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Board Owner
  • 11,174 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

The question should be what is the ratio per forum. Some forums need more attention than others, also we have mods in each forum so that gives us a high number to start.

There is no limit on moderator terms. It is hard enough to find people that will accept a modship when asked so limiting their terms would be a real problem at this point and is not something I am interested in.

LoP

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

I think that's very high.
Posted Image

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

I'm not sure what the ratio is but I'm waiting for Orpheus to get to the official data before commenting.

I think he actually told us once but that was months ago...I think.  *the memory thing,  :rolleyes: ya know*

Edited by Tricia, 18 December 2011 - 09:55 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

The number of mods on this board is reflective of the number of forums - and in every case, a number of members asked for those fora to be established. The only way we could cut back on the mods would be to combine fora.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#9 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

View PostRhea, on 18 December 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

The number of mods on this board is reflective of the number of forums - and in every case, a number of members asked for those fora to be established. The only way we could cut back on the mods would be to combine fora.

Hmmm.  Hadn't thought about it that way.
Posted Image

#10 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

190 ExIslers have posted in the last 6 mos
475 have logged in to read, send PMs, vote, sent email, search members, recover password etc (after deducting registrants who didn't click the emailed link, were banned/denied as spammers, etc)

#11 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:46 PM

And to give the other side of the equation, there are 20 staff (admins, mods and the board owner--but not including Watchdogs).

So the ratio of active posters to staff is just under 10 to 1.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#12 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

There are TWENTY sub fora on this board with fewer than 200 posting actively.

There is something wrong with that equation isn't there?
Posted Image

#13 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

• Islander
  • 38,844 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

And 10 to 1 is also very high isn't it?
Posted Image

#14 ArdenCabbel

ArdenCabbel

S.L.o.P.

• Islander
  • 946 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

View PostBad Wolf, on 18 December 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

And 10 to 1 is also very high isn't it?

For many forums, yes, that would be a high number.  But it is much better then my initial calculation of 2 or 3 to 1.  Ten to one doesn't seem to be too bad for ExIsle.  On the average, our members have posted more per person then many other forums.

But it makes me wonder.... Can we have a moderator for ten posters then just for a forum?  If so, can we choose our moderator?  Make em' battle it out in epic Rock Paper Scissors tournaments?  

I know that will never happen, but a member can dream can't he?
Posted Image

#15 Raina

Raina

Cpt. Raina 'Starlee'

• Validation Team
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:19 PM

I agree that the number of moderators seems a bit high, but some situations call for a very prompt moderator response. Since people are all in different timezones and moderators have real life commitments that preclude them from being on all the time, I wonder whether the large number of moderators is necessary to ensure that someone who can issue cool-its and warnings is always around.

"First thing they tell you is to assume you're already dead... dead men don't get scared or freeze up under fire. Me, I'm just worried that hell's gonna be a lonely place. And I'm gonna fill it up with every toaster son of a bitch I find." -Racetrack

"I believe what goes around comes around and if I am the instrument of 'coming round' then I'll do it happily. " -Shal

Viper Squadron CAG
Roman Warrior
Browncoat

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

We could certainly have a smaller staff if we didn't have so many forums. (Even though several people moderate a number of low-traffic forums and the super-mod and two admins double as forum mods.)I've never been for all this sub-specialization--heck, I never thought Reviews should be separate from GMD.  but people always fight for their niche interest to get its own space, as if not having one means their interests are less than. Frankly, also, 90% of the moderating involves OT and AQG.

Cardie

#17 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,713 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Maybe it's time, as QT said, to consolidate forums.

Someone would need to come up with a workable consolidation that most can agree on. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

#18 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

What difference would it make? High-traffic forums would still need several mods so that members wouldn't scream that response time is too slow, then bellyache that it's too fast if it's done promptly. Low-traffic forums would still roll along without little or no moderation because members behave themselves.

I don't think anyone who posts regularly would argue that AQG and OT account for most of the warnings.

We can certainly consolidate fora if that's what the membership wants.

Edited by Rhea, 20 December 2011 - 01:09 AM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#19 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

As long as nobody touches the roleplaying forum I have no problems. ;)
Rejected and gone.

#20 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

^^Of course, that's what the partisans of each forum are going to say. ;)

Cardie

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users