• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

http://www.aljazeera...3620221153.html

In September 2010, Kim Jong Il unveiled his third son, the twenty-something Kim Jong-Un, as his successor, putting him in high-ranking posts.

"Just a couple of days ago, it was publicised that he was visiting a military installation," Don Kirk of the Christian Science Monitor told Al Jazeera.

"Obviously there will be a long period of pubilc mourning in the country, but the sense is that at least he organised his succession with [his son] Kim Jong-Un taking over."

I don't know much about this son, but I hope for South Korea's sake the new leadership doesn't do anything rash...

#2 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

One of my favorite Economist covers.
http://img.skitch.co...hw5a13e13c5.png

Posted Image

#3 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

let's hope the son is a better leader than his father and doesn't give his people more suffering.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

Just caught this on CNN as I was booting up my G4. I can't help but wonder if his son will be a puppet leader, given his youth and inexperience.  :whatsthat:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 ArdenCabbel

ArdenCabbel

S.L.o.P.

• Islander
  • 946 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:32 PM

If the date of birth is correct on his Wikipedia page, I am two days older then him.  I want to rule my own country, but admittedly, I would rather it not be North Korea.  Perhaps one of the smaller European countries to get my feet wet.

I hope that he turns out to be a 'saner' ruler then his father was.
Posted Image

#6 Mooky

Mooky

Self-REbanned

• Islander
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

View PostArdenCabbel, on 18 December 2011 - 11:32 PM, said:

I hope that he turns out to be a 'saner' ruler then his father was.

Doubtful.  According to an article at ABS-CBNnews.com:

Kenji Fujimoto of Japan said that of the three sons, the youngest, Kim Jong-un, most resembled his father.

So in this case, like father, like son?

Edited by John R. Sellers, 18 December 2011 - 11:58 PM.

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Fastening my seatbelt....
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

I hope that this is good news for Korea as a whole and the rest of the world as well.
But with all of those old guard Generals I doubt it's good news...     :unsure:

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#9 Batrochides

Batrochides
  • Islander
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

With the death of his "Dear Leader" father, Kim Jong-Un becomes the only fat man in North Korea.

Batrochides

#10 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

View PostBatrochides, on 19 December 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

With the death of his "Dear Leader" father, Kim Jong-Un becomes the only fat man in North Korea.

Batrochides

Oooooooooooooooo..... :eek3:

Good one, Batmahn. :nod:
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#11 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

I cannot BELIEVE how much the western press is covering these scenes of orchestrated public grief,
all are leading on top front page with this fake tripe and it's upsetting; aint there real news in the
world today??
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#12 Thia The Muse

Thia The Muse

Galwit Mysto

• 893 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

Here's a pretty interesting collection of facts about Kim Jong-Il:http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/northkorea.jpg
"Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously."
~xkcd, "The Race: Part 4"
Posted Image

#13 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

As the saying goes, the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree...
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#14 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

Well, if he was educated in Switzerland, maybe some shreds of human decency rubbed off on him--I'm not holding my breath though.  I suspect we'll see more of the same, just a continuation of the status quo, but there's still lots of opportunity for things to go badly for everybody.

#15 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

From what I heard on CNN this morning, I doubt in the short term he will be any different than his father was for 2 reasons.

1. He may go more hardline to shore up support from the military.

2. His aunt and Uncle had ALOT of power, which leads me to beleive THEY will be the ones calling the shots (at least in the shortrun).
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

He was so ronely.  :noevil:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#17 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:05 AM

View PostDWF, on 19 December 2011 - 10:37 PM, said:

He was so ronely.  :noevil:

And he was very il. ;)

His son is un-il. :p
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#18 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

I would like to have hope that things will be different with the son now as leader...but I can't.  

This son was chosen to replace his father... his older brothers passed over.  Which tells me that he is more in step with Daddy's beliefs and ways than those brothers.  So not a whole lot of change likely.

Then you add in those old generals and the old 'guard' wanting to maintain their control, no doubt keeping the 'young one' in check.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#19 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

North Korea To Punish Mourners Who Were Insincere

... An anonymous source tells the Daily NK, a South Korea-based publication in opposition of the North Korean regime, that "authorities are handing down at least six months in a labor-training camp to anybody who didn't participate in the organized gatherings" to mourn the death of Supreme Leader Kim Jong Il, and to those "who did participate but didn't cry and didn't seem genuine."

Newser reports that mourners who came off as insincere have already been sent to join the 200,000 other North Koreans already in labor camps. An Amnesty International report published in May 2011 paints a dark picture of what's in store at those camps -- estimates suggest that 40 percent of inmates die of malnutrition....
I held off joking about the insincerity because I had a bad feeling about it.    :(
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#20 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,864 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostArdenCabbel, on 18 December 2011 - 11:32 PM, said:

If the date of birth is correct on his Wikipedia page, I am two days older then him.  I want to rule my own country, but admittedly, I would rather it not be North Korea.  Perhaps one of the smaller European countries to get my feet wet.

Ironically, if something  [heaven forbid] were to happen to your father, you might inherit the throne of Ex Isle.

I'd look after his health, if I were you!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Obituaries, Kim Jong-Il, North Korea, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users