Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Christchurch NZ Hit With Another Quake

Earthquake Christchurch New Zealand 2011

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

Didn't post this yesterday-TOO INSANELY busy.  :wacko:

New Zealand Herald

Christchurch residents are being warned to brace themselves for more aftershocks tonight and into the Christmas holiday period.

The latest round of earthquakes began at 1.58pm this afternoon, measuring 5.8 magnitude with a focal depth of 10 kilometres. Its epicentre was 20km east of Christchurch, according to the GNS website.

It was reported as "slightly damaging'' in the Christchurch suburb of Hornby and was reported by 27 homes and businesses on the online GNS shaking map.

The next quake struck eight minutes later, measuring 4.2 with an epicentre 20km east of Lyttelton.

A little over an hour later, at 3.18pm, Christchurch residents were rocked by a quake of magnitude 6.0, centred 10km east of the garden city at a focal depth of six kilometres.

More of the article is at the link. Those poor folks. :(  :headshake:

Edited by Vapor Trails, 23 December 2011 - 08:39 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#2 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

I don't know what the history was there as far as earthquakes prior to this or the September 2010 quake but this seems to be a pretty active fault now.

Just glad there are only minor injuries reported this time.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#3 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Well, New Zealand is in the Pacific Ring of Fire, I'm sorry to say. :(
Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#4 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

View PostTricia, on 23 December 2011 - 09:56 AM, said:

I don't know what the history was there as far as earthquakes prior to this or the September 2010 quake but this seems to be a pretty active fault now.

Just glad there are only minor injuries reported this time.

View PostVapor Trails, on 23 December 2011 - 02:48 PM, said:

Well, New Zealand is in the Pacific Ring of Fire, I'm sorry to say. :(

Part of the problem is that Christchurch is sitting right on top of a fault...and this was not known until recently; if I understand correctly, it was only discovered in the aftermath of the 2010 quake.

That info is from a Feb 2011 article on the earlier quake from The Guardian.

Just in case anyone wonders what the term "liquefaction" means--it's referred to briefly in the article from the New Zealand Herald that Vapor Trails gave the link for---the earlier article also has a pretty clear explanation for the layperson.

John Clague, an expert in natural hazards at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, said it was unclear what caused such serious damage to modern buildings, but said the answer could be the "liquefaction" of the ground when the shaking began.

"Liquefaction is a huge problem in Christchurch because the city is built on an alluvial plain, on sediments that are vulnerable to liquefaction," Clague said. "When shaken, these sediments transform into a liquid, causing irregular settlement of the ground, which is extremely damaging to buildings and buried structures, like water lines."

So yes...those poor folks. An historic and I understand beautiful city, more vulnerable than anyone had dreamed. :(

Peridot
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Earthquake, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2011

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users