Ex Isle Picture Day

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

It's just around the corner and looking for dates.  No, it's not your local high school socialites.  It's the 2012 ExIsle Picture Day! :D

Come one, come all.  Join in the fun of "meeting face to face" with participating members of this annual celebration.

Feel free to suggest a day or weekend that this happens on in January.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,030 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

OOOH!  Thank you for starting the thread, FnlPrblm!  Originally, Ex Isle Picture Day was supposed to be on the 1st Wednesday of the year - which would be January 4th.  Does that work for everyone?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Given the recent holidays and shorter notice...okay maybe not as short as I think :D

But I'd suggest bumping it back maybe a week...Jan 12?  It's a Thursday.  

Okay, I'm pulling that out of thin air simply because it is about to be 2012 but am open to any other date.

Or if we want to keep it on a Wed...Jan 11?

I can do Jan 4 too but want to give people enough notice to go digging around for pics or do a new one.

Edited by Tricia, 31 December 2011 - 05:04 PM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

That would also give me time to post an effective Boardwide Announcement

#5 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

I have to admit that for some bizarre reason when I first read this title I thought it said EL Picture Day...not EI. :lol:

Okay I was still half asleep. :rolleyes:

BTW I pinned QT's thread about this in The Beach so it would not get buried.

edited to add link to the EI Picture Day thread in The Beach.... a little history there and some more info

Edited by Tricia, 02 January 2012 - 01:52 PM.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I can do any day. If you really want me to post a picture of myself. Do you really want that?  Are you sure?  :unsure:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,030 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

Absolutely, positively sure! :)

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 28,651 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

I like 01/12/2012 for Picture Day.    :)
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"One man's vulgarity is another's lyric."  Justice John Marshall Harlan, 1971

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.  

If the Dems are "job killers" then the GOP are job abortionists.  

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

Tea Party organizers may want to run away from the facts, but they're not that fast, and the American people are not that slow.  Charles M. Blow

GOP holding up health care, your money or your life.  

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Continue to say nothing if you agree. House

If corporations are people, NBC was my first wife!  P J O'Rourke

#9 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,627 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

View PostNonny, on 03 January 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

I like 01/12/2012 for Picture Day.    :)

ah, the US/UK divide...I like 12/01/2012 personally ;) tomorrow is too short notice, considering the lack of response to this thread so far.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 02 January 2012 - 11:22 PM, said:

Absolutely, positively sure! :)
Don't say I didn't warn you.  :no: :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

What about 1/12/12? That should be enough warning, but not so far out that everybody forgets the day.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#12 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

I think we have four votes here for Jan 12....

and yes, Alica, it took me a moment or three to figure that out. :D  :blush:

#13 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,081 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

The 12th is good for me :)

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#14 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

Jan 12 is the Day!!  

per Orpheus' Announcement  at the top of the forum index page in each forum.

So remember the day and hope to see your smiling faces here!

Okay, you don't have to smile if you don't want :)

Edited by Tricia, 05 January 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#15 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 28,651 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

Works for me.    :)
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.  

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

Tea Party organizers may want to run away from the facts, but they're not that fast, and the American people are not that slow.  Charles M. Blow

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 EChatty

EChatty

Sigh

• SuperMod
  • 22,711 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

Oh good, I was going to take a picture of me frowning to use for awhile ;)
Female gamer and proud of it

Read my crafty blatherings

My projects on Ravelry

A little getaway

"Be careful. No path is darker than when your eyes are shut." Flemeth (DA2)

#17 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 28,651 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

I'm going to ask my neighbor to take a picture of me with my camera.  Would somebody please tell me how to make an avatar out of it?  Thanks.  

Probably I should locate my regular avatar so I can switch back without problem this time.     :blush:
Posted Image

#18 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:20 AM

View PostNonny, on 09 January 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

I'm going to ask my neighbor to take a picture of me with my camera.  Would somebody please tell me how to make an avatar out of it?  Thanks.  

Probably I should locate my regular avatar so I can switch back without problem this time. :blush:

Mark: It would be simpler if you would just email me the full-size photo of your choice,  taken with the highest resolution your camera is capable of. I'll re-size it, and, if you want...I'll retouch it for you too. I did that for another member yesterday, and they really liked the result.

BTW, I don't mind doing that for you at all, Nonny. Photography is a hobby of mine.
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#19 Mark

Mark
  • Islander
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Mark: Also, for anyone interested in learning about downsizing photos...I can start a thread elsewhere to tell you about that. Please chime in here to let me know if you're interested in that offer, or other things.

I've been been touching up old photos, and photos that have problems from the shutter-click. I've gotten pretty good at it, but it's taken tons of trial and error, not to mention many hours of eye-straining agony in front of my computer monitor. Touching up photos is more art of using the programs at-hand, than just becoming technically proficient with whatever photo-program you use. I use several different programs for several of their individual features, since I can't afford to pay the hundreds of dollars it cost to buy a really excellent photo-improving program.  
I can tell you which (free) programs I personally use, which purchase programs I've used and what they're good at, but I really can't teach the art of touching-up photos here on EI unless all of you agree to use the same program/s I use. There are just too many variables in each of the photo programs' adjustments for each of you to get the same results I see when using a different program.
I can also steer you to the best free programs I've downloaded and used from CNET. Besides what came with my Windows Vista, I currently only use free programs. A couple of them are VERY good at certain, important things. In fact, I've had such good luck with using 2 or 3 free programs, that I haven't been motivated to buy a program that can do it all.

Corel has an excellent photo-improvement program (Corel PaintShop Pro 4X Ultimate)  that you can try-for-free for a number of days...long enough for you people to get your photos ready for EI picture day. You can go to the Corel website and download that one just to see how you like a real, full-featured photo-program. Just don't ask me how to use it, as my trial for the year has already expired. :look: I've used it, and like it...but it does have a learning curve to use the more advanced feature...all the good photo-manipulation programs do. Most of the programs do have a "Fix-It" button that is supposed to automatically correct problems with photos, but I've rarely found one that really did what I wanted it to.

Caution...there are a lot of really BAD photo resizing, touch-up programs out there, and most of those will just take up lots of megabytes on your hard-disk.

Anyway, you all let me know what you want to learn (if anything), and I'll see what I can you for each of your needs. :cool:
Mark
Discussion is an exchange of knowledge: argument is an exchange of ignorance.
Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it.
APOGEE MESSAGE BOARD

#20 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 28,651 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

I might take you up on that, Mark, but if it's only a matter of downsizing, all I need to know is how far down I need to size it.  I resize the photos I post here to 10%.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ex Isle Picture Day

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users