• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

After X-mas I decided I wanted to take up knitting.

I mastered the slip-knot, casting on, knit, purl. I I have done casting off, but I hate it. I've made one dish cloth. Done of a tonne of swaths, two of which I have added and dropped stitches too.

My sister's cat loves it when I made a small swath, and don't bother with casting off, and just give it to him to play with :D

I got a book with 10 different knits to make dish cloths with. I figure that is a good place to start, basic square shape, just changing the order of the knits, purls, and a few curve balls in there.

I've enjoyed it so far, so I expect to continue, should be interesting to see how the more complicated stuff goes!

Anyone else here knit? Any suggestions?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

Suggestions?
Take up crochet?
Crochet is so much more forgiving, but you still have to constantly count.
Crochet can be cut off, cut out, added to on the side where you messed up, etc.
If you need to, you only have to rip back to where you missed or added a stitch. Do that with knitting and it's start over from scratch or risk the pick up getting turned around and putting in an odd ball row.

The main difference between crochet and knitting is that knitting is only 2 stands per stitch while crochet uses 3. In other words your work is thicker and your yarn does not go as far. It's just more fun IMHO.

"Off the Hook Designs Canada" is not about being absent minded, it's about my crochet business since the 80's.

I do knit straight lines, but only if I can't see what I'm doing while working with novelty yarns. Novelty yarns don't need you to get fancy with the stitching. The textures and colors are the attraction.

Maybe you should patent that cat toy? Sounds like a winner! ;)
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#3 Alica

Alica

Seek serenity, and if you can't find it, seek cupcakes

• 1,633 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:30 AM

I'll point obsidianstorm to this thread when she gets her internets back. She does crocheting too. She's currently making me a Jayne hat :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons...for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.
Posted Image

#4 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Or just be like me and do both :)

My mother taught me crochet when I was a little girl and her friend taught me to knit about the same time.

Can't say I've made a ton of stuff since I tend to put it down a lot, but I've made dishcloths, afghans, socks, slippers, hats, mittens, fingerless mitts/gloves, etc.

I find I prefer small projects to big ones myself.

Advice? Don't give up and continue on, you'll eventually get it. Crochet takes more yarn, but you have a ton of different stitches to play with. Knitting has three basic stitches that you use in everything-knit, purl and yarn over, but you can make such nice, lacy stuff with those stitches and depending on how you do them, make lots of interesting textures. I'll link you up with a few sites I use that might help.

In case crochet interests you:

http://www.crochetville.org/

A knitting forum I go to occasionally:

http://www.knittingforums.com/

Two sites with links to tons of free crochet/knit patterns and stitch help:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/

Have fun :)

#5 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostAlica, on 14 January 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I'll point obsidianstorm to this thread when she gets her internets back. She does crocheting too. She's currently making me a Jayne hat :)

That is an awesomely ugly hat ;) Haven't made one yet, but I might one day.

I'm currently working on a pair of socks with the ubiquitous name of Tadpole, but they're so awesomely pretty and easy to do.

http://www.ravelry.c...ibrary/tadpoles

I did change the top ribbing and heel shaping to suit myself, but kept to the basic pattern (just using a different yarn since I can't afford $23.50 for Socks That Rock)

#6 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

Not that I want to turn this thread into a which is better, crochet or knitting discussion, but you can't knit a cloud, but you can crochet one.

Years ago someone posted a link to a pattern for making a DNA sequence. Not that I want a dust collector around, I like my stuff to be functional, but it just proves that crochet is more a sculptors tool then knitting can ever be.

Rabbit remembers some yarn she had made out of her dog's hair and where she left the start of his effigy.

#7 Balderdash

Balderdash
  • Islander
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

I've never knitted and it looks complicated.  I crochet but that's what my mom taught me how to do.
I usually only make afghans but you have so many options for stitches, I prefer the granny square.
I don't know if it's the easiest but once you get past the first few rows it can get very relaxing
because you still have to count but if you mess up it's readily apparent and the counting is so
repetitive that you can do it in your sleep.

Another Democrat leaning Independent that has to search for truth because it can't be found on Fox News OR MSNBC.

"Being gay is not a Western invention, it is a human reality"  by HRC

#8 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Oh, gosh yes, the granny square is something to do when you want to do something mindless ;)

My mother taught me to crochet when I was just a little girl and she had a friend who taught me to knit around the same time. I like each equally well and will pick up one or the other as the mood strikes me.

At the moment I am making a Hoover blanket for my grandson, who is close to his due date to be born. The pattern can be found here:

http://knitty.com/IS...PATThoover.html

It isn't that complicated, and not quite as mindless as simply knitting along in garter stitch, but it's almost mindless once you get the technique down. I'm making the third version with the solid center on the off side. The great thing about this blanket is that there is no right or wrong side, it's reversible and very cushiony and warm.

#9 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

a1.jpg

#10 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Ack, I've been busy. And not with much knitting. Though I did make two more cloths, called them face cloths, and two tiny knitted animals, fiddly little things:

http://littlecottonr...nie-tinies.html

And gave one of each to the boys I do respite fostering for (their birthday was recent). They liked them. I wanted them to have a stuffed animal that could fit in their pocket and they could take anywhere if they wanted to. Though when they heard I had taken up knitting, they said that what grandmas do! :D

Otherwise, getting sick of the clutter and mess in my room, and seeing the reality TV show "Consumed" (could be described as a mild version of "Hoarders", just pack-rats that have too much stuff and need to get rid of stuff) I've been inspired to purge stuff. Almost done, and it has felt very good. I still have some old artwork to go thru, but I think I'm going to leave that off until I have time to go thru it thoroughly and perhaps scrapbook it into a scrapbook or two. Which will probably be a long time from now ;)

View PostD.Rabbit, on 13 January 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

Suggestions?
Take up crochet?
Crochet is so much more forgiving, but you still have to constantly count.
Crochet can be cut off, cut out, added to on the side where you messed up, etc.
If you need to, you only have to rip back to where you missed or added a stitch. Do that with knitting and it's start over from scratch or risk the pick up getting turned around and putting in an odd ball row.

The main difference between crochet and knitting is that knitting is only 2 stands per stitch while crochet uses 3. In other words your work is thicker and your yarn does not go as far. It's just more fun IMHO.

"Off the Hook Designs Canada" is not about being absent minded, it's about my crochet business since the 80's.

I do knit straight lines, but only if I can't see what I'm doing while working with novelty yarns. Novelty yarns don't need you to get fancy with the stitching. The textures and colors are the attraction.

Maybe you should patent that cat toy? Sounds like a winner! ;)

I've already gotten too far into the knitting. I am enjoying the knitting. I'll probably take up crocheting at some point. I've seen those novelty yarns, I might find some project to do with them at some point, but wild things generally aren't attractive to me. My clothes are usually solid colours, with no print or texture on them. I'm rather boring in my tastes ;)

Alica said:

I'll point obsidianstorm to this thread when she gets her internets back. She does crocheting too. She's currently making me a Jayne hat

Awesome :D I've already google about that! I want to make one for my brother's birthday. Luckily his birthday is in the fall, so I have plenty of time ;)

EChatty said:

Or just be like me and do both

My mother taught me crochet when I was a little girl and her friend taught me to knit about the same time.

Can't say I've made a ton of stuff since I tend to put it down a lot, but I've made dishcloths, afghans, socks, slippers, hats, mittens, fingerless mitts/gloves, etc.

I find I prefer small projects to big ones myself.

Advice? Don't give up and continue on, you'll eventually get it. Crochet takes more yarn, but you have a ton of different stitches to play with. Knitting has three basic stitches that you use in everything-knit, purl and yarn over, but you can make such nice, lacy stuff with those stitches and depending on how you do them, make lots of interesting textures. I'll link you up with a few sites I use that might help.

In case crochet interests you:

http://www.crochetville.org/

A knitting forum I go to occasionally:

http://www.knittingforums.com/

Two sites with links to tons of free crochet/knit patterns and stitch help:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/

Have fun

In time I figure I will get around to crocheting. Thanks for all the links. The yarn-over I haven't had to do with any of my projects yet, but there are some dishcloths in that book I have with that stitch.

D.Rabbit said:

Not that I want to turn this thread into a which is better, crochet or knitting discussion, but you can't knit a cloud, but you can crochet one.

Years ago someone posted a link to a pattern for making a DNA sequence. Not that I want a dust collector around, I like my stuff to be functional, but it just proves that crochet is more a sculptors tool then knitting can ever be.

Rabbit remembers some yarn she had made out of her dog's hair and where she left the start of his effigy.

Wow, that is amazing and beautiful. I am not one much for dust collectors either, I am pretty practically minded. Though I know you had crochet functional items too, but I do not plan on knitting or crocheting any dust collectors, unless it is for practice, someone would like me to make one for them, or I get really inspired to make one :) That cloud is a bit much ;) Looks like it would take a while, and take up a lot of space ;)

Balderdash said:

I've never knitted and it looks complicated. I crochet but that's what my mom taught me how to do.
I usually only make afghans but you have so many options for stitches, I prefer the granny square.
I don't know if it's the easiest but once you get past the first few rows it can get very relaxing
because you still have to count but if you mess up it's readily apparent and the counting is so
repetitive that you can do it in your sleep.

My mom was taught how to knit by her mother and/or grandmother. However, she has retaken up knitting, and she doesn't seem to be much help beyond knitting and purling.... I was hoping she'd be a bit more help :) There is still my grandmother if I want help though. Though I have various reservations about asking for it. I suppose it'd be a shame to let such a resource be wasted... :)

And Orpheus... I don't even know how to respond to that image :D It just makes me shake my head ;)
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#11 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

You're welcome for all the links. If you ever get brave enough you might want to try knitting in the round with double pointed needles. I've made several pairs of socks. It's not as difficult as it appears, the most difficult being joining your round at the very beginning. Once you get the first couple of rounds going it's much smoother.

#12 Drew

Drew

Josef K.

• Islander
  • 12,191 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 18 February 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

That's awesome.

Make me one of Super Mario Bros. plz.
"Someone must have slandered Josef K., for one morning, without having done anything wrong, he was arrested."

#13 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

While I probably could, you probably wouldn't get it until you're old and gray :lol:

One reason I don't do sweaters or very many really large projects, I'll put them down and they'll stay UFOs till I'm old and gray. And I am old, just not gray yet ;)

#14 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

For inspiration I'd like to show off my latest project, fingerless mitts.

mitt.jpg

Yeah, that's the other one on the needles. I got the idea for them when searching out similar patterns, but I like my cuff longer, as you can see. And yeah, I know I can just extend the cuffs of any pattern ;) I already swap 2x2 ribbing with 1x1 ribbing cause I like 1x1 better. Since it's just basic, as you can see, I made up my own.

I wear them to knit and crochet cause they keep my wrists warm and that makes them less stiff when I'm working. These are knitted flat, as you see, and then sewn up one side. It could easily be adapted to double pointed needles and done in the round as well. Indeed, I got the inspiration from a pattern for a pair of bulky male ones done in the round, but I didn't want bulky, I wanted lightweight.

Anyway, enjoy your knitting :)

#15 Anna

Anna

Island Native

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

I meant to post this a long time ago, but I kept forgetting. In our local area, the cancer center asked the local fiber arts guild to knit, crochet, weave, etc., scarves for patients undergoing chemotherapy. Since they lose their hair, it gets cold during the winter! They only asked that the scarves not be wool (too scratchy and too many allergies), but as long as the scarves were soft and warm anything goes.

So, the reason for posting is that you can practice all sorts of stitches knitting scarves and then see if a local cancer center might want them. Or suggest it to the cancer center! I got back into knitting after a loooooooong time just to do this. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed knitting. I could never do anything fancy, but I do enjoy it while I'm watching the tube. I just moved and unpacked my knitting bag* (in with all my weaving stuff!) and I decided it's time to get back to it.

* I've had that bag since my Mom bought it for me when we lived in England in the early 70s. (That's where I learned to knit.) It's probably older than most of our members here!
Seldom do we regret words we do not speak.

--------------

Amendment X: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

#16 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

I can do a basic crochet stitch.  I even made a King size afghan.  (It died in the fire.)  But I never counted.  I just had uneven rows.

Mostly I use my knifty knitters when I want to knit.  Last year I made hats for Christmas for all of the people who I work with as I move from office to office during the year.  27 hats.

A couple of years ago I bought special yarns and made scarves and matching hats for the whole family.  I mixed colors, textures and types of yarn.  Those have been some of my best work.  Family members get asked where they bought them.  I have also knitted shawls and purses with my kniffty knitters.  I started a hooded sweater, but it also died in the fire.
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#17 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,730 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

Aw that's a shame about the fire.

Knifty Knitters are awesome. My SiL bought me a set as a Christmas present one year and I've done some hats and a shawl with them. I confess I don't do as much needlework as I should. I generally go through spurts, I call them. I'll knit/crochet for awhile, then put it all down for awhile, then pick it back up.

Last year I did a whole lot of scarves for our church's Operation Christmas Child drive. That goes on all year and last year we sent out more than 500 boxes. I didn't make nearly that many scarves, but I made a lot. Perhaps that's something else you can make hats/scarves/gloves/mittens for, if there's one in your area (check local churches/charities) Or find out how to start one in your area.

http://www.samaritan.../index.php/OCC/ is the website for it if you want more information.

#18 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

I finally got here Chatty.  I knit and I crochet, a lot, I also cross stitch but only in summer day light as my eyesight is not as good as it could be.

My current project is a loopy cardigan for my granddaughter.  I am also knitting for a club I belong too, we send baby clothes to third world countries and also teddy bears to an orphanage abroad.  Every child who is taken in gets their own teddy bear in a little bag.

I have also knitted socks and love doing them, they are a lot of fun. Not the best picture but it gives you an idea. One of my fun projects was to crochet a bag from plastic Tesco carrier bags, it was for a fashion show, my daughter made a dress from recycled materials.

Edited by Brit, 04 May 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#19 Consubstantial

Consubstantial

Paradox by Incongruity

• Islander
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

I don't mean to complain; but your most recently posted pictures are soooo big that I can't actually see the whole sock at once.
From the start, our terms jump to conclusions--Kenneth Burke

#20 Brit

Brit

Born too Soon

• Islander
  • 3,107 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I know, I apologise and I will remove them, thought I had resized them before uploading.

Edited by Brit, 04 May 2012 - 01:18 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users