Should Ex Isle Participate in the Blackout

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,030 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:24 AM

Saw this notice on Wikipedia today: http://wikimediafoun...i-SOPA_blackout

And Ex Islers are already discussing it here: http://www.exisle.ne...iracy-act-sopa/

Websites all over are blacking out in protest - January 18th is the date when numerous sites will go dark - I suspect Wikipedia's the largest of them.  My question to Ex Islers - should we join the protest?  Or maybe instead we should be a witness to it (i.e., comb the internet for dark sites and report?

Or ignore the whole thing?

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 17 January 2012 - 02:25 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

i'd vote for keeping tabs.

also see the SOPA thread - i just saw an article on facebook that says they backed down on an informal veto threat from the White House.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#3 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'd be for keeping tabs and reporting which sites are participating in the blackout.

And to add to what Cheile said...I just posted a link in the SOPA thread that says it likely will be either tabled or...most likely...get a major overhaul now in light of the opposition.

Edited by Tricia, 17 January 2012 - 07:06 AM.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

I vote blackout.

I am so tired of governments trying to sneak one past us.  If it wasn't for the freedom of the internet, we wouldn't know about half the stuff that is going on out there.

Look at this!!!

http://94.18.124.194... - Pastebin.com

Most of them are security cameras from public places but people have  found home security cams, baby monitor cams and even personal webcams  randomly recording.

#5 Omega

Omega

La araņa discoteca

• 3,452 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:41 AM

Blackout.
Posted Image

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Trust the plastic

• Islander
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

View Postmichael elizabeth, on 17 January 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

I vote blackout.

I am so tired of governments trying to sneak one past us.  If it wasn't for the freedom of the internet, we wouldn't know about half the stuff that is going on out there.

Look at this!!!

http://94.18.124.194... - Pastebin.com

Most of them are security cameras from public places but people have  found home security cams, baby monitor cams and even personal webcams  randomly recording.
OMG, how creepy is that!  In just a few minutes on that page, I found two with people!  One reading the newspaper, the other channel surfing from the kitchen.  (As soon as she left the kitchen, a cat jumped on the counter. :lol: )

Not sure that exactly helps our case though.  :blink:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 17 January 2012 - 10:24 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 28,755 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'd rather witness, but I could do that on my own, I suppose.
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"One man's vulgarity is another's lyric."  Justice John Marshall Harlan, 1971

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.  

If the Dems are "job killers" then the GOP are job abortionists.  

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

Tea Party organizers may want to run away from the facts, but they're not that fast, and the American people are not that slow.  Charles M. Blow

GOP holding up health care, your money or your life.  

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Continue to say nothing if you agree. House

If corporations are people, NBC was my first wife!  P J O'Rourke

#8 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,077 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Blackout.
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#9 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,172 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Monitor
Posted Image

#10 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1210990.html

Looks like we are going dark tonight?

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Trust the plastic

• Islander
  • 2,958 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

I forgot to give my thoughts on the question at hand.   :blush:

I think witnessing and reporting can be just as important as the protest itself.  We could keep a running tally throughout the day of all the blacked out sites that we find.  That list would then continue to stand as evidence, after the protest has finished.

So, I vote for monitor and witness.  :)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 17 January 2012 - 10:42 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 D'Monix

D'Monix

Wearin My Shades and Seein The Truth

• Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Don't care...
“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”  -Clint Eastwood

Evil Tea Party Member #667
Evil Republican

#13 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,943 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

I might've chosen "blackout" personally, since it would've been a palpable reminder that under SOPA, PIPA or, make no mistake, any variant/revision of the above a single member post could take EI offline with a single protest (and because I could spend my Wikipedia-free day doing that IPB upgrade I've been long meaning to do) but it seems to be 50-50, with no clear consensus, and I like to consider my personal opinion last (vs a tie-breaker) whenever I can.

But EI isn't devoted to political commentary on Internet policy, so I should probably commit myself to an announced [1-2hr] IPB upgrade, and later a weekend [12-24 hour] total server upgrade, each on its own merits without gimmicks

#14 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,900 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Blackout Baby! Raise the Jolly Roger! All hands man the cannons! :pirate2:
Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,030 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Some sites are only blacking out the logos - can we do something like that?  

http://sopastrike.com/

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#16 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

@%@#$%$# EI....i just posted and it ate it.

i wsa just coming to suggest that a temporary anti-SOPA banner be put up for tomorrow.  many facebook users are amending their current profile pics with a STOP SOPA addon.  the banner could serve that purpose too.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#17 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:42 AM

Can we blackout all but one report forum as a way to keep up with what's going on, but at the same time blacking out all other fora and functions this BBS has to offer?  That would be my vote if we can do that.  Otherwise, blackout if we can't do that.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#18 NexusNine

NexusNine

The Dystopian Cyber-Punk

• Islander
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:49 AM

I say we blackout from noon til midnight.
Posted Image
My Horror Film Short: on YouTube
Slipfighter's Drawings: Nocturnal Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=46699  
Slipfighter's Drawings: Regular Edition: http://www.exisle.ne...showtopic=34628  
Original Ex Isle Screen Name: Slipfighter

#19 D'Monix

D'Monix

Wearin My Shades and Seein The Truth

• Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:29 AM

wiki went dark, but that's easy enough to bypass using google's cache function for a recent cache of the page.
“President Obama is the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people,”  -Clint Eastwood

Evil Tea Party Member #667
Evil Republican

#20 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

View PostD, on 18 January 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

wiki went dark, but that's easy enough to bypass using google's cache function for a recent cache of the page.
The site is still working for me. The only noticeable thing they've done is disabled the editing of content, even though the entire site isn't supposed to be readable. It probably hasn't been enabled on all of the servers yet or something.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users