Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_1245191.html

what a tasteless, WRONG idea. :headshake:

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#2 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

In a world where I feel so small, I can't stop thinking big.

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

Cheile,

Interesting...I was just reading the same article.

While I am fascinated with violent weather, it is EXTREMELY important to remember the horrible costs that come with such weather around populated areas. Katrina was the second deadliest hurricane in U.S. history, with over 1,500 dead. The deadliest hurricane to hit the U.S. was back in 1900-the Galveston, Texas storm. That storm killed 6,000 people.

I would prefer to just see a tornado churn away in an unpopulated area-but sadly, that's not always the reality. I do find storm chasing fascinating-but once more...when you are dealing with the destruction these storms cause, it's more than just facts and figures in a paper, web site, or whatever. You're dealing with human lives, altered forever. You're dealing with devastating economic impacts that many of these people may never recover from. This is real and longlasting physical and emotional pain that endures years, even decades beyond the date of the original tragedy. And to not recognize that is the height of callousness.

While I find these storms beautiful, I also know there is a deadly side to them-and that side NEVER should be forgotten. Already, 2012 has had quite a few tornado touch-downs in the south-east, and already I'm dreading what the next tornado season will be like. Last year was one of the deadliest tornado seasons on record.

Edited by Vapor Trails, 01 February 2012 - 01:17 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#3 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:26 AM

Saul,
i will very slightly disagree--i can't call a tornado beautiful.  they and what they cause are just too hideous for me to do so.  if i want to admire nature, i will do so in other ways.

a short time ago, i was hanging out at someone else's house and we found a stormchaser show--watching the show, we found it ended up being about Joplin.

it started where just cruising around MO last spring, randomly hoping to catch something and ended up filming the start of what ended up being the monster that hit Joplin.

in fact, they had been running late because of minor car trouble, IIRC, and realized after the fact that if they had been "on schedule", they would have been IN Joplin when it hit and most likely would have been among those injured or killed.  the second half of the show was focused on the Joplin aftermath, filmed by these same people.  they even helped a few people out of the rubble, helped a lady pick through what was left of her house to find a family photo album.  it was just terrible to see, all of it--and that's why i side with the angry residents on this.  promoting aid, search and rescue, things like the Facebook campaign of volunteers who are still working to reunite lost pets with their people--all good.  promoting tourism around this tragedy??  wrong, wrong, wrong.  :headshake:

Edited by Cheile, 01 February 2012 - 01:27 AM.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#4 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostCheile, on 01 February 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

Saul,
i will very slightly disagree--i can't call a tornado beautiful.  they and what they cause are just too hideous for me to do so.  if i want to admire nature, i will do so in other ways.

I completely understand. Nothing wrong with that.

a short time ago, i was hanging out at someone else's house and we found a stormchaser show--watching the show, we found it ended up being about Joplin.

it started where just cruising around MO last spring, randomly hoping to catch something and ended up filming the start of what ended up being the monster that hit Joplin.

in fact, they had been running late because of minor car trouble, IIRC, and realized after the fact that if they had been "on schedule", they would have been IN Joplin when it hit and most likely would have been among those injured or killed.  the second half of the show was focused on the Joplin aftermath, filmed by these same people.  they even helped a few people out of the rubble, helped a lady pick through what was left of her house to find a family photo album.  it was just terrible to see, all of it--and that's why i side with the angry residents on this.  promoting aid, search and rescue, things like the Facebook campaign of volunteers who are still working to reunite lost pets with their people--all good.  promoting tourism around this tragedy??  wrong, wrong, wrong.  :headshake:

Stormchasing does serve a purpose, I think-tornadoes are still a phenomena that have a great deal of mystery around them. They occur all over the world, but not with the frequency and violence they do in the U.S. The topography of the U.S. is a big reason for the severity of these storms. Usually, you need two colliding air masses-a warm, humid air mass from the south and a cool/cold dry air mass from the north. Add in a jet stream and winds going in different directions at different altitudes, and you have the ingredients for violent tornadic supercell thunderstorms that rotate. The Rocky Mountains helps add to the instability, because what can happen is that after going over the Rocky Mountains, cold air-if it's going fast enough-can have a portion of cold air go over the warm air instead of all going under the warm air. That creates a tremendous imbalance. The jet stream acts as a bottle opener-and when it removes the cool air cap, warm air can rush upward, sometimes as fast as 200 mph. This can lead to massive tornado outbreaks. The one last year was actually worse than the Super Outbreak of 1974. I know I started a thread on it-the death toll was over 300 people, I think. That makes it the second deadliest tornado outbreak in U.S. history.

Outside of getting data on tornadoes, storm chasers can also serve as eyes and ears, warning communities of impending dangerous weather. Unfortunately, you do have a small number of them that are dickheads, who only serve to harm the reputations of those folks just trying to do their jobs.

Edited by Vapor Trails, 01 February 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Posted Image

Politicians are like bananas; they hang together, they're all yellow, and there's not a straight one among them.

"We're relevant for $ and a vote once every two years. Beyond that, we're completely irrelevant, except of course to consume, and preach the gospel according to [insert political demigod here]."--Cait

#5 Vapor Trails

Vapor Trails

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • 16,523 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

Apparently, I started two of them:

Thread on Tuscaloosa Tornado

Thread on Joplin Tornado
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disasters, Missouri Tornadoes, 2012

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users