If you want to build your own tractor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

This could be under Orpheus'  Ready to Garden post, but it seems to be more about the tinkering than the gardening.
http://www.exisle.ne...he-schedule-up/

So another physics major turns to the soil:
http://www.wgbh.org/...l_At_A_Time.cfm

I just wonder how long before OSHA and the EPA start checking on these people?

Pax, and store your acetylene or whatever safely,
Julianus  ;)

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

That's amazing. I was just corresponding with this same person a few weeks ago about this (specifically to discuss his "universal power supply", but his desired scope required current ratings well outside my usual working set of familiar components, so I really couldn't offer practical help. I've been working the other end of the scale lately -- ambient energy harvesting)

You might enjoy this brief talk.

#3 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

View PostOrpheus, on 20 February 2012 - 01:09 AM, said:

That's amazing. I was just corresponding with this same person a few weeks ago about this (specifically to discuss his "universal power supply", but his desired scope required current ratings well outside my usual working set of familiar components, so I really couldn't offer practical help. I've been working the other end of the scale lately -- ambient energy harvesting)

The video was enjoyable. Mr Jakubowski is enthusiatic in his presentation. I do wonder how company's like Deere and Catepillar might respond, not to mention some of the foreign competitors. Coincidentally I saw an article in Popular Mechanics about a company started by another Harvard alumnus who was offering help to people who wanted to build their own car from "scratch." He thought that the savings from drastically less capital costs would make it a competitive business model.
http://www.popularme...r?click=main_sr

Pax,
Julianus

PS Given recent political and economic history I think Id like to see more Ivy Leaguers go into these types of endeavors and stay away from government and finance. And, too, there is Jeremy Lin in the NBA.  ;)

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

Get my agent! I'm supposed to be Castathan, not Indogene

• Administrator
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm glad you posted that. I knew about Local Motors some time back (for me they really are local. I pass near their original Mass. HQ every month or two), but though I'd heard vague muttering about an Arizona location, I had no idea that that was where the action was at. Reading that article made my hands itch for a wrench.

But then I go down to my garage, grip an icy wrench, and ugly memories of Bloody Knuckles Past flood over me, bringing me to my senses. (It's not that cars always break down in the winter; it's just that there are so many more appealing alternatives to fixing them properly in the summer) Yeah, I can see the appeal of Arizona.

Traditionally, auto repair was the one activity that could consistently make me curse.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users