• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#21 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostGodeskian, on 27 February 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

I kind of do. I'm of the school that says that a game should tell it's story. It's okay if it feeds into a larger story, especially in the case of something like ME3, which is the final part of a story. I resent buying a game only to get an incomplete internal story
For me it depends on how they approach it. I also prefer it when a game tells a complete internal story. I don't mind if an add-on expands on the story or concludes one of the subplots somehow. I think Fallout 3 did a pretty good job of finding a middle ground. The main story is concluded without Broken Steel installed but if you install it, it continues the story of the Brotherhood of Steel and continues past the end point of the original game.
"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#22 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 27 February 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

For me it depends on how they approach it. I also prefer it when a game tells a complete internal story. I don't mind if an add-on expands on the story or concludes one of the subplots somehow. I think Fallout 3 did a pretty good job of finding a middle ground. The main story is concluded without Broken Steel installed but if you install it, it continues the story of the Brotherhood of Steel and continues past the end point of the original game.

Sure, but you do get a full main story in Fallout 3, and New Vegas for that matter. I guess my experience recently has been soured by FF13-2, which told a story, as it were, but then left the over-arching plot thread from the first game to a 'to be continued' screen. It pissed me off the way few games have ever done so.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#23 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:13 AM

Well here's enough to piss you off about Mass Effect 3's DLC.

The DLC for ME3 will cost you $870...

Collector's Edition (needed to obtain all content):
$80 - N7 Collector's Edition

Pre-order bonuses:
AT-12 Raider - Origin pre-order bonus
Chakram Launcher - Play the Kingdoms of Alamur demo
M-55 Argus - Pre-order bonus for select retailers
N7 Weapons pack - N7 Edition bonus
N7 Hoodie - N7 Edition bonus
N7 Warfare Gear - Pre-order bonus for select retailers
Reckoner Knight Armor - Play the Kingdoms of Alamur demo
Robotic Dog - N7 Edition bonus
Squad Outfit pack - N7 Edition bonus

Auxiliary purchases:
Unannounced price for the iOS game Mass Effect Infiltrator, which can affect the main game.
$10 day one "From Dust" DLC
$44.99 for the Liara figurine - which oddly enough now comes with multiplayer unlock DLC
$24.99 for The Art of Mass Effect Universe - Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup
$80 for four Mass Effect 3 toys - "Slightly randomized" multiplayer unlock DLC
$59.99 for the Mass Effect 3 controller - Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup
$209.99 for the Chimera 5.1 Headset - Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup
$34.99 for the Mousepad - Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup
$79.99 for the Messenger Bag - Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup
$24.99 for the iPhone case - Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup
$79.99 for the Mouse - Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup
$139.99 for the Keyboard - Collector Assault Rifle unlock DLC/Powerup

http://kotaku.com/58...ll-cost-you-870

Posted Image

#24 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:36 AM

^ I think that'd be enough to piss people off about DLC in general. ;) Although to be fair, about $630 of that total is for the same Assault Rifle (not counting the different physical items). The only DLC listed there that I'd even really care about is "From Dust." And that's assuming it adds enough to justify the $10 price tag.

Edited by NeuralClone, 28 February 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#25 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 28 February 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

^ I think that'd be enough to piss people off about DLC in general. ;) Although to be fair, about $630 of that total is for the same Assault Rifle (not counting the different physical items). The only DLC listed there that I'd even really care about is "From Dust." And that's assuming it adds enough to justify the $10 price tag.

Amen to all of that. I don't care enough about a collector's rifle to spend 630 dollars on it. I will be getting the 'from dust' DLC, but then I was spoiled to what it was.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#26 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

In a way it's good that they break an expensive game up in parts, cause then you can buy the starter pack (cheaper), and get the rest of the game if you think it's fun. Like iD used to do with releasing the first part of the game free, and then took money for the last parts.

But I must be able to buy the last (story) parts. They shouldn't limit such things for preorders.
Please don't spoil future episodes, even if they've been previewed.

#27 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:32 PM

Just to let all UK people know, GAME will not be stocking this title they have just announced

http://www.gameinfor...s-effect-3.aspx

So if you, like me, have pre-ordered from GAME, you are hosed. I will apparently not be playing mass effect 3 next week. I am.... frustrated.

Defy Gravity!

#28 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

They're what? Not selling ME3 is business suicide.
Rejected and gone.

#29 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Wow. That's really unfortunate indeed. But I can't say I blame them. They're struggling financially and if they can't afford to pay whatever price EA set for their games, then this was the only decision they could reasonably make if they want to stay afloat. It kind of sounds like EA was trying to get them to pay more for the games than GAME was willing to pay given their financial situation. EA is really pushing digital sales and they're trying to eliminate the sale of used games. Both are things that work against GAME's business model.

I've been considering pre-ordering the game but I really don't want to buy it on Origin and it isn't being sold on Steam (not yet anyway). And boxed copies are no doubt loaded with tons of extra pointless protections that will just get in the way.

So it's looking like I'll be waiting until it goes on sale or until it's sold on Steam. It's unfortunate that it will be a while before I play this but at least I still have tons to do in Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur.

Edited by NeuralClone, 29 February 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#30 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

I checked the boxed version of Syndicate, and it demands Origin too. I'm pretty sure ME3 will do the same.

#31 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

I checked the boxed version of Syndicate, and it demands Origin too. I'm pretty sure ME3 will do the same.

I was really looking forward to Syndicate, but I haven't bought it yet due to the Origin thing. Had it been on Steam I'd probably been playing it from day one. Same with ME3.

Edited by foborg, 29 February 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#32 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

View Postfoborg, on 29 February 2012 - 04:14 PM, said:

I was really looking forward to Syndicate, but I haven't bought it yet due to the Origin thing. Had it been on Steam I'd probably been playing it from day one. Same with ME3.
Well, that sucks. That pretty much rules it out from being sold on Steam then. Epic fail, EA. It's great that they want to promote their own online store but all they're really doing is alienating people that may have bought it if given a little more freedom in where they buy it. I refuse to use Origin simply because I don't trust EA's DRM.

Edited by NeuralClone, 29 February 2012 - 04:22 PM.

#33 foborg

foborg
  • Islander
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

I don't wan't to derail the thread, but what EA should do with Origin is to have more expensive prices on Steam and in the stores compared to Origin. That way they could make people actually wan't to go to Origin, and the rest of us could pay extra for the privilege of using a service we know and trust. As it is now, they are just making people angry.

ETA: ah, you edited to say pretty much the same thing while I was writing. :)

Edited by foborg, 29 February 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#34 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

View Postfoborg, on 29 February 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

I don't wan't to derail the thread, but what EA should do with Origin is to have more expensive prices on Steam and in the stores compared to Origin. That way they could make people actually wan't to go to Origin, and the rest of us could pay extra for the privilege of using a service we know and trust. As it is now, they are just making people angry.
Based on the link Gode posted about GAME not stocking ME3, it sounds like they may already be doing that to some extent. You have to read between the lines a little but it doesn't seem unreasonable given EA's stance on preferring their own digital distribution system on PC over other methods of buying their products and GAME's comments about treating all suppliers equally.

ETA: ah, you edited to say pretty much the same thing while I was writing. :)
Great minds... ;)

Edited by NeuralClone, 29 February 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#35 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

That's a lot of DLC though honestly the only DLC I'm interested in are story missions. Bonus weapons, armor, what have you really don't interest me too much.

That does suck that GAME isn't stocking ME3. Hopefully our UK members can get it elsewhere, or if they reserved it at GAME, can reserve it somewhere else. Though I doubt that since it's so close to the release. It's been a while since I've reserved a game so I don't know the cut-off for that.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#36 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 29 February 2012 - 04:27 PM, said:

That does suck that GAME isn't stocking ME3. Hopefully our UK members can get it elsewhere, or if they reserved it at GAME, can reserve it somewhere else. Though I doubt that since it's so close to the release. It's been a while since I've reserved a game so I don't know the cut-off for that.
Amazon.co.uk is stocking the game on all platforms and it's still available for preorder.

#37 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Confirmation from Chris Priestly that ALL PC versions of ME3 will require Origin and that it won't be launching on Steam:

http://kotaku.com/58...launch-on-steam

Why won't it be on Steam? The terms of use are "too restrictive" for developers. That explanation sounds like a BS explanation to help rationalize favoring Origin over other online distribution systems. Tons of major publishers and developers are still using Steam as the digital distribution platform of choice on PC. If the terms of use are so restrictive, why are so many indie developers selling tons of games on the platform? So yeah. I don't buy that explanation at all.

He says that it won't be available on Steam at launch but he implies pretty heavily with the rest of his comments that it isn't very likely that it will end up on anything other than Origin.

Edited by NeuralClone, 29 February 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#38 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,696 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

He says that it won't be available on Steam at launch but he implies pretty heavily with the rest of his comments that it isn't very likely that it will end up on anything other than Origin.

I really don't understand that. You'd think they would want their game to be bought by as many people as possible. Considering that a lot of people have problems with Origin and won't buy an Origin-exclusive game that they'd wise up and use Steam. It seems like EA is just slapping computer gamers in the face every time you turn around.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#39 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 29 February 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

I really don't understand that. You'd think they would want their game to be bought by as many people as possible. Considering that a lot of people have problems with Origin and won't buy an Origin-exclusive game that they'd wise up and use Steam. It seems like EA is just slapping computer gamers in the face every time you turn around.
EA isn't the only publisher doing this. Activision, Ubisoft, and 2K are doing it as well (to varying degrees of awfulness). I think it comes down to a handful of reasons in EA's case. They're convinced that the only way to stop piracy on the platform is to exert more and more ridiculous control over PC users (and therefore treat them all like criminals while ignoring the very real and extremely large number of people that pirate Xbox games), they want more control over how their products are used, want more detailed usage information so they can create better profiles of their customers, and they want to promote their digital distribution platform over Steam so they can maximize profits. Valve takes a cut of every sale on Steam. If they can bypass that and focus just on their system, they make 100% of the profit on every digital sale and don't need to share it with any third party company.

It's also why they're likely trying to favor digital sales over retail sales on the platform and why they're going so far out of their way to prevent the sale of used copies of games. A lot of companies are doing similar things with PC releases. As a PC gamer, it's infuriating to be singled out and treated this way simply because people pirate games on the platform. People pirate games on every platform and will likely do so no matter what kinds of "protections" are placed on the games.

#40 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

Thing is, I don't actually have a real issue with digital sales. I do have an issue with not being able to get a copy of the collectors edition because GAME and EA couldn't reach an accord.

Defy Gravity!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users