• Please log in to reply
262 replies to this topic

#41 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostGodeskian, on 29 February 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Thing is, I don't actually have a real issue with digital sales. I do have an issue with not being able to get a copy of the collectors edition because GAME and EA couldn't reach an accord.
I don't have an issue with digital sales either. My main issue is more with EA's unreliable DRM and questionable decision to prevent people from using anything but their platform if they want to buy the game digitally. That and even if you buy a physical copy of the game, you're still forced to use Origin. Unless I buy it on one of the consoles (also preferable to most publishers), I'm pretty much forced into using Origin.

Oh, and Amazon.co.uk had some copies of the collector's edition available when I last checked. So if you're fast you might still be able to buy a copy.

Edited by NeuralClone, 29 February 2012 - 05:48 PM.

"My sexuality's not the most interesting thing about me."
— Cosima Niehaus, Orphan Black, "Governed By Sound Reason and True Religion"

#42 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:09 AM

They only had copies of the PS3 version available when I checked last night. I've put an alert on so they'll text me if they get any more Xbox ones, but I think I'm out of luck.

Oh well.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#43 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

Well that sucks. :(

#44 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostNeuralClone, on 01 March 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

Well that sucks. :(

So fortune smiles on me, and a friend called me to tell me he's picking up ME3, and that Blockbuster still has the CE edition, but you have to buy in store. So I have.

And if there are any Exisle Mass Effect fans who got stiffed by Game, head for Blockbusters. :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#45 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostGodeskian, on 01 March 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

So fortune smiles on me, and a friend called me to tell me he's picking up ME3, and that Blockbuster still has the CE edition, but you have to buy in store. So I have.

And if there are any Exisle Mass Effect fans who got stiffed by Game, head for Blockbusters. :)
Very nice! I'm glad you were able to get it. :D

I have to admit that as the days pass, I'm more and more tempted to preorder this... *sigh*

#46 Lord Martock

Lord Martock
  • Islander
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I am just going to get my copy Monday night while I am at work.
May the Schwartz be with you.
Remember, No matter where you go....There you are.
It's a trick.....Get the Axe!

Posted Image

#47 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

The US get's it on the 6th? I genuinely don't know why the UK doesn't get it until three days later. I mean does three days really do anything but mean people have to avoid threads like these for three days to avoid spoilers?

Defy Gravity!

#48 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

The release date for the game has been known since the 2010 Spike Video Game awards, if I recall correctly. A little too close to zero-hour to complain now ;)
Posted Image

#49 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

So I decided to forgo from pre-ording from shopto.net as I usually do and went with GAME as I am greedy and want the N7 set. Obviously the gaming gods saw fit to punish me for this. I can't believe how fast other stores sold out of the Collectors edition after that balls up was announced (this was on the same day) but luckily I did manage to snag a N7 copy from amazon.

I have to admit I'm a little worried about the quality of the game after DA2 but after going through 2 really good games I just want to see how the story ends. This time round I've managed to avoid most spoilers- even who all your squad members are going to be. Hopefully I'll be able to come back to this thread in a couple of weeks and rave about how well the series has been wrapped up. Fingers crossed.

Re: release dates- the US normally releases major titles on a Tuesday, while major titles in the UK tend to be released on Fridays; its not just ME3 that does this. It is still bollocks though.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#50 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostRommieSG, on 03 March 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

The release date for the game has been known since the 2010 Spike Video Game awards, if I recall correctly. A little too close to zero-hour to complain now ;)

It's less a complaint, and more a bafflement. Oh well, I'll just have to stick my fingers in my ears real loud for a few days  :whistle:

Defy Gravity!

#51 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostTalkie Toaster, on 03 March 2012 - 05:59 PM, said:

So I decided to forgo from pre-ording from shopto.net as I usually do and went with GAME as I am greedy and want the N7 set. Obviously the gaming gods saw fit to punish me for this. I can't believe how fast other stores sold out of the Collectors edition after that balls up was announced (this was on the same day) but luckily I did manage to snag a N7 copy from amazon.

You and me both, and the truth is that now, I'm not going to bother ordering from GAME again. Twice now they've done this to me with a collectors edition that got cancelled (ME3) or my copy sold to someone else (DA2). I'm not going to give them a third chance.

Like you though I've avoided all but the tiniest of spoilers. ANd I think I'll enjoy the game moreso for it.

Defy Gravity!

#52 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

I was thinking about pre-ordering it but since it gets released Tuesday I don't think I'm going to bother. My local Wal-Mart is holding a midnight release so 'll buy it then(along with some Xbox points so I can get the DLC for it and a few other games).

The US get's it on the 6th? I genuinely don't know why the UK doesn't get it until three days later.

Didn't that happen with one of the Fable games as well? The U.S. released it on Tuesday while the U.K. didn't get it until Friday. I thought that was kind of jacked up since it is a game made in the U.K.

I wonder how big this thread is going to get since it's all ready three pages and the game hasn't been released yet.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#53 RommieSG

RommieSG

Heir to the Empire

• Islander
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 03 March 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

I wonder how big this thread is going to get since it's all ready three pages and the game hasn't been released yet.

The Mass Effect 2 thread is 17 pages long. So I'm certain this could at least rival that.

I do have a CE coming to me, but it'll be a couple days after release since its my friend who's getting it for me. But I shall be immersed in FemShep goodness soon! ^_^
Posted Image

#54 Mikoto

Mikoto

Rejected on all levels.

• Islander
  • 9,304 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

I'm already warming up and preparing for ME3 by playing through ME1 and ME2 again in the few weeks up to the release date. ;)

Edited by Mikoto, 04 March 2012 - 10:24 AM.

Rejected and gone.

#55 Ihaveaglitch

Ihaveaglitch
  • Islander
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:06 PM

Gonna finish paying for my CE preorder today, i'll pick it up tuesday, but thanks to class it doesn't look like i'm gonna spend anytime playing it until thursday.
"Well I gotta admit, making Rommie obey my every whim and laying waste to the Drago-Kazov sounds really great, butů All by myself?" ~Harper (Una Salus Victus)

#56 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:02 AM

As a heads up for anyone that might be playing this on PC, there are already known issues with Origin, depending on where you bought it from:

There is a known issue with the latest version of Origin 8.5 which is impacting customers who purchased Mass Effect 3 digital download from retailers other than Origin. During installation, you may receive a message indicating a "disc read error". If you click "Try Again" in the error dialogue, that should bypass the error and continue the installation. We are aware of the issue and hope to resolve it soon.

How this got past their QA process with Origin is beyond me. Interestingly, the pirated version of the game, which was out last week, doesn't have this problem and doesn't cost those who choose to pirate it a single cent. Good thing Origin is stopping such things and not causing problems for paying customers...

#57 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

I know that there will be some people who won't even be able to get the game until Friday and there will be some who won't be able to play it for a while so I'm going to try to avoid spoilers for a while and use spoiler tags for things that I think need them. If someone thinks that what I've posted should be put in spoiler tags let me know.

I've played a small portion of the game and so far I'm liking it. It is still the great Mass Effect universe that we all know and love. The game starts with Earth getting attacked and Shepard and crew taking off in the Normandy to get reinforcements. But of course things aren't that easy and Shepard has to do a lot of things to get help.

That's the basis of the story-line. Whereas in the second game you were recruiting a team to go after the Collectors here you are building up an army to fight back against the Reapers. The retro-fitted Normandy now includes a war room that keeps you informed of the forces under your command and the probability of beating the Reapers. Suffice it to say this early in the game things are looking grim.

The game is more streamlined than even the second one. You no longer have to hack or decode information to get into doors or datapads or what have you. No longer do you scan every planet for resources and secret bases. All the mini-games from MEII are gone. If a door is locked Shepard puts his omni-tool on it and unlocks it himself. To get upgrades you simply have to buy them and don't need the materials like you did last game.

You do still scan, but instead of scanning planet by planet you scan a galaxy at a time. The Normandy sends out a pulse that scans a small area around it. This will reveal resources that will help you in your war effort. The galaxies can be rather large so you might have to scan a galaxy several times to find everything. So scanning is much easier and if you do find a resource on a planet you launch one probe and pick it up that way. However, the Reapers are across the universe and whenever you scan an area it will make them take notice and fill up a meter. Once the meter is full the Reapers will come after you. The only way to reset the meter is to go on a mission.

The combat is largely the same from the previous game. Minor changes or improvements but nothing that I saw that was really noteworthy. You still have thermal clips which annoys me because I can never seem to find enough of them when I really need them. The enemy does seems smarter this go round which makes the firefights harder. You'll also be faced with several different types of enemies at once you you might have regular grunts, a shield carrying enemy, an engineer who throws out turrets like there's no tomorrow, a hulking beast, etc.

The game does a good job of immersing you in the war. It has affected every corner of the universe whether the Reapers have attacked there or not. It's a full scale invasion and the game treats it as such. I'm wondering just how the good guys are going to win in the end against such overwhelming opposition. I don't want to spoil it but a very early mission really brings home just how screwed the universe is.

I recently bought a Kinect and the game does come with a Kinect option. You don't control Shepard completely but you get to issue voice commands. If, in the middle of battle, you need to switch from an assault rifle to your handgun all you have to do is say handgun and Shepard switches weapons. Same if you want to use a biotic power. If you want to slam an opponent simply say slam. If you want to use cryo ammo simply say cryo ammo. If you want a team mate to throw a grenade or use an ability simply tell them. It's nice not having to pause the action and bring up either the weapon or power wheel. It's not a reason to buy the Kinect mind you but if you all ready own one it's a nice little feature.

Mass Effect 3 is shaping up to be a great game. I can't wait until more people play it and we can start discussing everything in depth.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#58 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

I've been playing this a bit today. My brother has it and we've been playing it off and on.

So far, the game is pretty much what I'd expect from a Mass Effect game. Combat is pretty much the same as it was in the second game, complete with the same clunky cover system that sometimes completely refuses to respond. The story seems to be the usual BioWare type of story. It's predictable but better than Dragon Age II so far.

It's nice that this game actually seems to have more than a handful of guns and equipment. The load out system is better than the ME2 system but it's still a little too streamlined for my tastes. It isn't a deal breaker for me, though. It's a good middle ground between ME1 and ME2.

The AI is somehow even worse than it was in ME2. My squad mates keep standing in place while getting shot at, they let enemies flank us and get behind us (while failing to actually notice they're being killed from behind), they fall back without saying anything and I'm left alone, and they seem to have trouble following the most basic commands other than using abilities. Their AI seems to kick in and override my commands. Very frustrating.

The PC version of the game completely lacks gamepad support. It's absolutely ridiculous that a game with a budget like this one doesn't even support the Xbox 360 controller. It's even more absurd when you factor in that the game is also out on Xbox and that functionality could have just been merged into the PC version. The game plays ok with a mouse and keyboard but it's clear that it was designed for a gamepad and not much thought or effort was put into the PC controls. This is a rather disappointing oversight. The end result is serviceable controls that feel a bit awkward.

The graphics are a mixed bag. They're about the same as ME2. No notable changes as far as I can tell. The opening areas on Earth look pretty awful, to be honest. Initially I thought I had the detail level on low. Apparently, it's maxed with all the other settings maxed as well. The textures lack detail and overall everything looks really dated. Once you get past the prologue, the areas start to look better. It still would have been nice if the PC version at least came with high res textures.

I'm finding the game fun despite these complaints. Your choices can have humorous or even devastating consequences. Not on the level of Dragon Age: Origins but enough to make it feel like you're impacting events. The voice acting is top notch and the faces of characters are all extremely well done. Lots of detail too, which makes the lack of detail in areas stand out more.

#59 NeuralClone

NeuralClone
  • Islander
  • 23,092 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I've played this some more today and I think it gets a lot better once you get past the somewhat uninteresting early missions. Basically, once you get past the areas found in the demo, everything opens up a bit more and it doesn't feel as repetitive. I'm still finding the main story a bit cliched and predictable. However, I've always been more interested in the characters, world-building, and side stories in the Mass Effect games than the main story. Dragon Age: Origins was the same way too. The main story was a bit weak but the real strength of the game was in its characters and side stories. I do miss the party banter found in DA:O, and to a lesser extent, DA2.

It'd be nice if BioWare would release a high resolution texture pack for the PC version. I don't know if they have plans for that or not. They did that with DA2 at least. So I guess there's a little bit of hope there. Textures seem to work better once you get past the first few missions. But they still seem incredibly bland compared to every other game that's come out in the past year. As I mentioned above, faces and characters are generally really detailed. So it makes the lack of detail in the surroundings (and some of the gear) stand out even more. It's unfortunate because this would be a rather beautiful game if they had actually given some additional options for the PC release.

#60 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,310 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

I've played this some more today and I think it gets a lot better once you get past the somewhat uninteresting early missions. Basically, once you get past the areas found in the demo, everything opens up a bit more and it doesn't feel as repetitive. I'm still finding the main story a bit cliched and predictable. However, I've always been more interested in the characters, world-building, and side stories in the Mass Effect games than the main story.

The game does get better once you progress a little farther. I think after you do the first priority mission things really heat up. The Tuchanka mission was so crazy. The ending had me on the edge of my seat. It was intense.

I'm liking the main storyline. Having to recruit help to unite the alien races and fight back against the Reapers is interesting, made more so because a lot of the people you run into are old crew mates. So for me the characters, side missions, and world building enhance and make the main story that much better. Though it really is about the characters. I've grown attached to all of them. I like cut scenes where I just spend a quiet minute or two with a character. I won't lie. The game has brought tears to my eyes on a few occasions.

Spoiler

My squad mates keep standing in place while getting shot at, they let enemies flank us and get behind us (while failing to actually notice they're being killed from behind), they fall back without saying anything and I'm left alone, and they seem to have trouble following the most basic commands other than using abilities. Their AI seems to kick in and override my commands. Very frustrating.

I've had similar problems. The enemy AI is actually pretty good so the fact that my squad mates aren't as good can lead to a quick death. Especially when the enemy has you outnumbered and has quite an array of different classes. Speaking of, I hate the phantoms. Shepard is not a fast or nimble character and he doesn't really have any good dodge moves so having an enemy type that is fast, acrobatic, and gets in close almost feels like cheating. Add to the fact that there are times when instead of getting into cover Shepard rolls instead means I've had some frustrating deaths.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users